What are you currently reading?

Bizet

Woodpecker
Far From the Maddening Crowd - Thomas Hardy

This Victorian-era romance novel is not something I'd usually read, but I'm glad I picked it up. It's set in rural England, and most the characters are farmers or shepherds. I'm really enjoying the vivid descriptions of country life. Reading this book is really motivating me to move out of the city.

Sanctus

Pigeon
I am currently reading The Health Hazards of Homosexuality, an eye-opening series of studies and anecdotes that show just how dangerous and wrong the homosexual life is. I suggest everyone read it.
I've linked it here for anyone who is interested. Warning, it is a grim book and not for those who find such sordid details hard to read.

Last edited:

Sanctus

Pigeon
I'm studying the orthodox study bible. The two big take aways I have after first reading the New Testament and now the Old Testament are these: 1. the Old and the New Testament are so much in line, I hear Christ speaking in the Old... this is contrary to the idea I had that the Old was full of an angry God etc, but the overarching message is one of sin, repentance and forgiveness throughout all of it. 2. I realize that our whole society and the direction we're put on from birth are to put you away from this message (aka THE TRUTH) and into the hands of sin, slavery and Satan. Most telling I found Proverbs ''Trust in God, lean not on your own understanding'' contrasted to what we've been told and what is the core message of this society ''Trust in yourself, lean on your own experience''. It's a trap, a setup, a calculated one. I do feel my whole world view coming together as I finish the last pages
I purchased this last week and have begun reading it. So far so good.

stugatz

Pelican
I'm studying the orthodox study bible. The two big take aways I have after first reading the New Testament and now the Old Testament are these: 1. the Old and the New Testament are so much in line, I hear Christ speaking in the Old... this is contrary to the idea I had that the Old was full of an angry God etc, but the overarching message is one of sin, repentance and forgiveness throughout all of it. 2. I realize that our whole society and the direction we're put on from birth are to put you away from this message (aka THE TRUTH) and into the hands of sin, slavery and Satan. Most telling I found Proverbs ''Trust in God, lean not on your own understanding'' contrasted to what we've been told and what is the core message of this society ''Trust in yourself, lean on your own experience''. It's a trap, a setup, a calculated one. I do feel my whole world view coming together as I finish the last pages
Are Orthodox Bibles particularly hard to find in English? This is the only one I know of. I've always wanted to own one (I have a Catholic Douay-Rhiems and a Protestant King James with the Catholic books in an "Apocrypha" section).

Looks like (quick Amazon glance) the Old Testament in this is from the Septuagint, when KJV is Masoretic and Douay-Rhiems is Vulgate. The New Testament is just a King James reprint. Interesting that there are so many sources with the different versions.

Maddox

Sparrow
40656712.jpg

So far, Updike's prose is excellent.