What are you currently reading?

Bizet

Woodpecker
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I don’t read much contemporary fiction - most modern novels are soy (with the exception of Wilbur Smith), and I certainly don’t make a habit of reading historical-romance novels that are aimed at women. So I wasn’t sure if I’d like this book.

I decided to read it anyway because I wanted to learn a bit about my Scottish heritage (that I know almost nothing about).

I’m actually surprised by how much I’m enjoying this. The writing isn’t amazing, but it’s not terrible either, and the story moves along at a good pace. It’s an easy book to read if you just want to switch off - a good alternative to TV.

HatTrick

Chicken
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
I just discovered Marcus Aurelius after someone I follow posted his quotes on social media. In the past 3 weeks I have bought 5 copies of Meditations (different translations.) I don't know if I can recommend it to everyone but something about it speaks to me profoundly. His writing is so simple. It kind of puts everything into focus. Definitely go for a modern translation. The one by Gregory Hays is probably the best and is only $10.

“Think of yourself as dead. You have lived your life. Now, take what's left and live it properly." - Marcus Aurelius

OrthoCole

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
I just discovered Marcus Aurelius after someone I follow posted his quotes on social media. In the past 3 weeks I have bought 5 copies of Meditations (different translations.) I don't know if I can recommend it to everyone but something about it speaks to me profoundly. His writing is so simple. It kind of puts everything into focus. Definitely go for a modern translation. The one by Gregory Hays is probably the best and is only $10.

“Think of yourself as dead. You have lived your life. Now, take what's left and live it properly." - Marcus Aurelius
It's been great. I was expecting it to be a collection of motivational type quotes, as that seems to be how most people online talk about it, but have been pleasantly surprised by its philosophical and poetic depth. I also find it to be an easy read for an amateur like myself. I can see why it's a classic.