What are you currently reading?

Bizet

Woodpecker
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I don’t read much contemporary fiction - most modern novels are soy (with the exception of Wilbur Smith), and I certainly don’t make a habit of reading historical-romance novels that are aimed at women. So I wasn’t sure if I’d like this book.

I decided to read it anyway because I wanted to learn a bit about my Scottish heritage (that I know almost nothing about).

I’m actually surprised by how much I’m enjoying this. The writing isn’t amazing, but it’s not terrible either, and the story moves along at a good pace. It’s an easy book to read if you just want to switch off - a good alternative to TV.

HatTrick

Chicken
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
I just discovered Marcus Aurelius after someone I follow posted his quotes on social media. In the past 3 weeks I have bought 5 copies of Meditations (different translations.) I don't know if I can recommend it to everyone but something about it speaks to me profoundly. His writing is so simple. It kind of puts everything into focus. Definitely go for a modern translation. The one by Gregory Hays is probably the best and is only $10.

“Think of yourself as dead. You have lived your life. Now, take what's left and live it properly." - Marcus Aurelius

OrthoCole

Sparrow
Non-Christian
I just discovered Marcus Aurelius after someone I follow posted his quotes on social media. In the past 3 weeks I have bought 5 copies of Meditations (different translations.) I don't know if I can recommend it to everyone but something about it speaks to me profoundly. His writing is so simple. It kind of puts everything into focus. Definitely go for a modern translation. The one by Gregory Hays is probably the best and is only $10.

“Think of yourself as dead. You have lived your life. Now, take what's left and live it properly." - Marcus Aurelius
It's been great. I was expecting it to be a collection of motivational type quotes, as that seems to be how most people online talk about it, but have been pleasantly surprised by its philosophical and poetic depth. I also find it to be an easy read for an amateur like myself. I can see why it's a classic.

ChiefSinnerJohn

Pigeon
Orthodox
Law of God by Fr. Daniel Sysoev

Marriage as a Path to Holiness: Lives of Married Saints (requested this one as a Christmas gift from my mother in law by recommendation of Mr Witcoff, thank you sir)

St Justin Popovich’s commentary on the Epistles of St John the Theologian

Also reading through Genesis right now and plan to read through the entire Old Testament, which I am sad to say I have never done.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
I just finished Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy by Amy Lansky, PhD.

It is an excellent overview of homeopathy, how it contrasts with allopathy (which is the whole of modern medicine in the United States) theories of how or why it works, studies that show it's effectiveness, and a guide for seeking more information on the topic.

I found it interesting and thought provoking. Recommended.

JohnSavage

Chicken
Catholic
Im reading "The Shallows. How the Internet is changing the way we think, read and remember" by Nicholas Carr.

It's a very interesting book. The author discuss the ways different inventions such as the printed books first and the Internet nowadays, change the physiology of our minds. The author argues that:" The Net's cacophony of stimuli short-circuits both conscious and unconscious thought, preventing our minds from thinking either deeply or creatively". Basically we are becoming drone addicted to the dopamine that the internet gives us and we are losing the ability for deep thought and complex thinking.