What are you currently reading?

Gordon

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
Screwtape Letters:

"Your man has been accustomed, ever since he was a boy, to have a dozen incompatible philosophies dancing together inside his head."

"The trouble about argument is that it moves the whole struggle onto the Enemy's own ground." - "Remember, He is not like you, a pure spirit. Never having been a human. (Oh that abominable advantage of the Enemy's!)"

"Aggravate that most useful human characteristic, the horror and the neglect of the obvious"

"It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: In reality our best work is keeping things out." ... cont. " The simplest is to turn their gaze away from Him, towards themselves."

"A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all. -And more amusing."

"The enemy wants to bring man to a state of mind in which he could design the best cathedral in the world, and know it to be the best, and rejoice in the fact, without being anymore (or less) or otherwise glad at having done it than he would be if it had been done, by another."

"For as things are, your man has now discovered the dangerous truth that these attacks don't last forever."

"It is the business of these great masters to produce in every age a general misdirection of what may be called sexual 'taste.' This they do by working through the small circle of popular artists, dressmakers, actresses, and advertisers who determine the fashionable type."

"In the first place they all tend to direct men's devotion to something which does not exist, for each 'historical Jesus' is unhistorical." ... cont. "We thus distract men's minds from who He is, and what He did."

"To be greatly and effectively wicked, a man needs some virtue."

"A chasity or honesty, or mercy, which yields to danger will be chaste or honest or merciful only on conditions."

"For remember, the act of cowardice is all that matters; the emotion of fear is, in itself, no sin, and though we enjoy it, does us no good."

Many other great quotes throughout. I feel like I got a lot out of this book. A nice and unique perspective shift on the demonic. Highly recommend.

Gordon

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
I read it on a whim; it was part of my last impulse buy on Amazon before I 86'd my account. You're not wrong.

You will enjoy it, it's really funny, and yet convicting.

I second C&P.
Thanks for recommendation. I'll keep in mind next time I feel like reading Dostoevsky.

Instead I started "On the cosmic mystery of Jesus Christ."

Taking my good old time reading it slow and it's been highly edifying!

Gordon

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
Orthodoxy & The Kingdom Of satan by Father Spyridon Bailey. Highly comparable to Orthodoxy & The religion of the future. Easy to read and highly informative. Also felt like something Alex Jones would write but with a key spiritual underlying. I've watched nearly all his Youtube vids but this is the first book from him and I came away impressed by his knowledge of historical and current events and what it's all pointing to. We are blessed to live in the same time as this man.

The war against Putin by M.S. King (2014) Brief but informative work regarding the history of Russia and the rise of Putin. It's definitely a pro-Putin book in every aspect. I came away from only liking him more than before. Still realize there's much going on behind the scenes that's hidden, but this book only further validated parts of my worldview, which is, there might be a slight chance Putin actually went rouge from the NWO and is a legitimate threat to their plans for the future. Starting with jailing the countries oligarchs in early 2000s when the opportunities presented itself. Far-fetched maybe, but it's a optimistic view that can help me make sense of history for the last 100+ years. Against my better judgement I felt something similar for Trump in 2016, so I'm hesitant to believe, I just don't know. IMO surviving the Soviets and the revival of Orthodoxy in Russia, is nothing short of divine.

I never really knew how disastrous things were when Putin took over. Slowly over time they've recovered greatly despite many challenges. There's just something special about Russia to me. At the end the author states "if they get baited into a future broader conflict in Ukraine, it would greatly facilitate a NATO-Israeli move against Syria, Lebanon, and Iran." Something to consider with current events.

Cosmic Meatball

Pigeon
Gnostic or New Age
Currently reading The Kyballion. It's a book about Hermetic philosophy. Pretty interesting, it talks about the 7 Hermetic principles which are the fundamental basis for physical reality.

Bizet

Woodpecker
Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut.

This is a collection of short stories from Kurt Vonnegut written in the 1950's and 1960's.

There's one story I particularly liked called 'Harrison Bergeron'. It's set in a dystopian future - like 1984 or Brave New World. It's only 7 pages long, but it's very red pilled and based. Recommended.

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
The Populist Delusion - Neema Parvini.

Finished today. This book has given me some hope for the future. Not because it's a feel-good book or easy escapist solution, but because it's given me something real, rather than yet another false hope or fool's game -something that could actually happen, to look forward to.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
Ascent of Mount Carmel - St. John of the Cross
Imitation of Christ - Thomas á Kempis
Russia and the Universal Church - Vladimir Solovyev
I had Ascent of Mount Carmel on my short list (meaning, it might end up in my 20 deep stack of books to read next because I've got an issue...). Thanks for the reminder.

JuanChristophorus

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
I had Ascent of Mount Carmel on my short list (meaning, it might end up in my 20 deep stack of books to read next because I've got an issue...). Thanks for the reminder.
You profit a great deal from this book. It gives you perspective how to detach from everything, material and spiritual. It is something I experienced a time ago and now have it in written words. I see why San Juan is called the Mystical Doctor of the Church.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I just finished the Hobbit after having a hard time getting all the archaic words, Loved it. I promised myself I won't ever read in Spanish again and so far It's been totally worth it. I'm about to start SPQR By Mary Beard.

Caramasão

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution: The Remarkable True Story of the American Capitalists Who Financed the Russian Communists

From the book:

"In the Trotsky affair we have two American residents corresponding with a Canadian deputy postmaster general in order to intervene in behalf of an interned Russian revolutionary. Coulter's subsequent action also suggests something more than casual intervention. After Coulter acknowledged the Aleinikoff and Wolf telegrams, he wrote to Major General Willoughby Gwatkin of the Department of Militia and Defense in Ottawa-a man of significant influence in the Canadian military-and attached copies of the Aleinikoff and Wolf telegrams:

These men have been hostile to Russia because of the way the Jews have been treated, and are now strongly in favor of the present Administration, so far as I know. Both are responsible men. Both are reputable men, and I am sending their telegrams to you for what they may be worth, and so that you may represent them to the English authorities if you deem it wise."

Arturo80

Sparrow
Orthodox
Stephen King - Under the Dome

I'd exercise caution reading the works of this man.

6u23f72dd1j81.jpg

JGB

Pigeon
Orthodox
I'm currently reading The Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks. He's a highly mediocre author and his work is highly secularized, so I don't recommend it. It is better than the first two books by a fair margin, but that's not much of an endorsement. At least this one isn't painful to read like they were. It is nice to see how an author can quickly improve his writing ability simply by rewriting the same book three times.