What are you listening to?

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Anybody here listen to music on vinyl?

I recently got a used record player and listening to records has totally revitalized my interest. There's something really satisfying about the tactile feeling of the big album artwork and liner notes, the setup and minor tweaks to play records, and the whole process of playing/flipping/cleaning them. Plus, digging around in record shops is vastly more fun than scrolling through playlists on Spotify (and if you're willing to try the unknown, you can find tons of old records for cheap in stores.)

Listening to high-quality streaming is probably objectively more "perfect", but all the eccentricities of the analog format make it far more fun for me.

kel

Pelican
HermeticAlly said:
Listening to high-quality streaming is probably objectively more "perfect", but all the eccentricities of the analog format make it far more fun for me.

Poking at someone's "recently played" Spotify list on their phone will never ever have the same je ne sais quoi of flipping through their record collection or CD wallet. That intimate look into a person is gone now. Things change, can't be too nostalgic, but those of us who remember that know it's true.

In the vein of RIP Neil Peart...

This dude is a Quebecker astrophycisist who is a prof of Astronomy at U of Hawaii, and has picked up a bit of a drumming habit. He has gone to great lengths to replicate Neil Peart's setup and puts up Youtube videos of his drum-syncing (?) Rush songs. I really get a kick out of watching this guy because, not only has he put a lot of effort into practicing this skill, it has given me a greater appreciation of Peart's mastery. It's one thing to replicate it, but to have created it in the first place is next-level.

My fave Rush song:

This.