What are you listening to?

stugatz

Pelican

I'm working through Pink Floyd's full discography. Reason I love doing a full discography? If any forgotten gems are there, I can pick up the vinyl for practically nothing, because nobody else wants it.

Sadly, though, this dated and dull soundtrack album is a pretty tough slog. In comparison, Obscured By Clouds was a phenomenal find.

magaman

Robin

I'm working through Pink Floyd's full discography. Reason I love doing a full discography? If any forgotten gems are there, I can pick up the vinyl for practically nothing, because nobody else wants it.

Sadly, though, this dated and dull soundtrack album is a pretty tough slog. In comparison, Obscured By Clouds was a phenomenal find.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher

More is my least favorite track out of the PF repertoire. However, there are great songs in there such as Cymbaline (love that song), Nile song and Crying. Obscured by Clouds is one great yet underrated album. Stay and Burning bridges, incredible songs. PF is the best.

stugatz

Pelican
More is my least favorite track out of the PF repertoire. However, there are great songs in there such as Cymbaline (love that song), Nile song and Crying. Obscured by Clouds is one great yet underrated album. Stay and Burning bridges, incredible songs. PF is the best.
Many of the songs on More are just dull - they worked in the context of a film where there were images to match the music, but they don't work outside of it. (Main Theme, More Blues, Quicksilver in particular are half-baked ambient music pieces that probably sounded dated six months after the album came out.)

There are a lot of good songs to break that up, though. Nile Song, actually, has grown on me! It's a little too hard rock and out of character for Floyd, but in an endearing way.

Overall, the album is definitely not bad and I'd give it a 3 out of 5 - I'd probably own it, too, since I do like this era of Floyd very much.

Finally giving the Gilmour stuff a listen. I must say, this album isn't as bad as I'd heard...but it puts me to sleep. I'm bracing myself for Endless River, but then I get to move on to another band. (Or solo Gilmour & Waters? Maybe not quite yet...I didn't like what I heard of Pros & Cons of Hitch-Hiking, and I'm a Waters fanboy. Hell, the Final Cut is probably my favorite album by Pink Floyd...)

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
Many of the songs on More are just dull - they worked in the context of a film where there were images to match the music, but they don't work outside of it. (Main Theme, More Blues, Quicksilver in particular are half-baked ambient music pieces that probably sounded dated six months after the album came out.)

There are a lot of good songs to break that up, though. Nile Song, actually, has grown on me! It's a little too hard rock and out of character for Floyd, but in an endearing way.

Overall, the album is definitely not bad and I'd give it a 3 out of 5 - I'd probably own it, too, since I do like this era of Floyd very much.

Finally giving the Gilmour stuff a listen. I must say, this album isn't as bad as I'd heard...but it puts me to sleep. I'm bracing myself for Endless River, but then I get to move on to another band. (Or solo Gilmour & Waters? Maybe not quite yet...I didn't like what I heard of Pros & Cons of Hitch-Hiking, and I'm a Waters fanboy. Hell, the Final Cut is probably my favorite album by Pink Floyd...)
It might be because I've listened to this record 'AMLOR' in some of the worst years of my life that I love it so much. One Slip, Dogs of war, and Terminal Frost are songs that I hold dearly as some of my favorites from the late Pink floyd era. Final cut, oh, Paranoid eyes and Two suns in the sunset are such beautiful songs. More still ranks down, and maybe A saucerful of secrets next.

stugatz

Pelican
It might be because I've listened to this record 'AMLOR' in some of the worst years of my life that I love it so much. One Slip, Dogs of war, and Terminal Frost are songs that I hold dearly as some of my favorites from the late Pink floyd era. Final cut, oh, Paranoid eyes and Two suns in the sunset are such beautiful songs. More still ranks down, and maybe A saucerful of secrets next.
I can't decide on solo Roger Waters. Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking I think is brilliant one listen and awful the next.

Apparently it's what he wanted to make instead of The Wall...probably a good thing the band dodged that bullet.

(NOTE: On the subject of their worst albums, so far, I'd say the studio part of Ummagumma. I'll see if that holds, though, the Gilmour-led albums I'll listen to before Sunday.)

stugatz

Pelican

Finally listening to Gilmour's Floyd. I'm pleasantly surprised, although I definitely wouldn't say this is anything I'm in a hurry to own. The ambient-ish tracks that pepper the album sound like a 1980s ripoff of Shine On You Crazy Diamond from their earlier albums (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Quite a few people say they hate this track with a passion. I don't see what's wrong with it - OK, it's a little cheesy and out of character for the band, so what?