What are you listening to?

bubs

Sparrow
Not many people know, but right before Sammy Hagar got the offer to join Van Halen, he fronted this supergroup with Journey guitarist Neil Shone. Here is one of my favorite songs off their 1 album live….

bubs

Sparrow
I’ve been on a 70’s / early 80’ power pop fix for last year or so. Discovered old Cheap Trick albums and this one song “Downed” is a deeper track but really struck me in a good way. …

I’ve been on a 70’s / early 80’ power pop fix for last year or so. Discovered old Cheap Trick albums and this one song “Downed” is a deeper track but really struck me in a good way. …
Love Cheap Trick (and power pop). Saw them in PA on 9/11 at an outdoor winery. No masks except for their road crew. Maybe a culture shock for them.

Jesu Juva

Pigeon
I started listening to Ace of Base non-stop. Their music just makes me happy. You listen to their tunes and you think "life isn't that bad". 90s pop appears to be very innocent and optimistic compared to our times.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
He can play, but that kind of music just causes me heart pain like 10 cups of coffee. I had the boxes pretty loud when I started to play it. What is the difference between Doom and Death Metal?
Death metal is usually more technical with growling or screaming vocals, Doom usually has more "empty space" and has clean vocals. There's a subset of death metal called "melodic death metal" that is closer to traditional metal but even then the vocals usually make it unlistenable for me. This band, Mercenary, actually blends different metal genres together very well and thus I can tolerate their screamy stuff since it's done in small doses rather than overwhelmingly.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Death Metal is usually faster, has growls, where doom metal is very dark and usually doesnt have the growling vocals, frequently its also got slower power cords.

My favorite Death Metal is Opeth's first 6 Albums though that band is not really a purely death metal band as they play everything from Death Metal to Jazz/Funk ect...

Death Metal examples
Opeth -their old stuff (new stuff is totally different
Death
Morbid Angel (I dont listen to but they are OG death metal)

Doom Metal examples are:
Cirith Ungol
Saint Vitus

Then there is Black Metal which is about witchcraft and devil worship ect that has a lot of blast beats and a screaming/growling and solos (Behemoth is an example but I stay away from the overtly Evil/Lusciferian musci)

Jesu Juva

Pigeon
Death metal is usually more technical with growling or screaming vocals, Doom usually has more "empty space" and has clean vocals. There's a subset of death metal called "melodic death metal" that is closer to traditional metal but even then the vocals usually make it unlistenable for me. This band, Mercenary, actually blends different metal genres together very well and thus I can tolerate their screamy stuff since it's done in small doses rather than overwhelmingly.
Thanks. I think, it is all horrible and causes me physical pain, but I like that humans come up with stuff like that. It shows, what a unique creation we are. I check out Mercenary, but on low volume.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Some good Metal

(I'd consider Death Metal but thats arguable as to what genre )

GOROD: Very heavy but tehcnically flawless
Fractal Universe: Melodic but also brutal

Hypocrisy has a song about Pharmacueticals and being addicted to big pharma/drugs and being controlled. ITs pretty apropos considering the Covid push.

Jesu Juva

Pigeon
Death Metal is usually faster, has growls, where doom metal is very dark and usually doesnt have the growling vocals, frequently its also got slower power cords.

My favorite Death Metal is Opeth's first 6 Albums though that band is not really a purely death metal band as they play everything from Death Metal to Jazz/Funk ect...

Death Metal examples
Opeth -their old stuff (new stuff is totally different
Death
Morbid Angel (I dont listen to but they are OG death metal)

Doom Metal examples are:
Cirith Ungol
Saint Vitus

Then there is Black Metal which is about witchcraft and devil worship ect that has a lot of blast beats and a screaming/growling and solos (Behemoth is an example but I stay away from the overtly Evil/Lusciferian musci)
Thanks, I check all of it out, because you guys gave a good introduction into the matter.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Thanks, I check all of it out, because you guys gave a good introduction into the matter.
Id really check out the Fractal Universe band.

You can see the technicality of the music by this vidoe where the drummer plays just the instruments (no vocals)

Being a drummer myself, thats usually the first thing I look at, how challenging the time signatures/fills/breakdowns ect are.

Jesu Juva

Pigeon
Id really check out the Fractal Universe band.

You can see the technicality of the music by this vidoe where the drummer plays just the instruments (no vocals)

Being a drummer myself, thats usually the first thing I look at, how challenging the time signatures/fills/breakdowns ect are.

I checked out some of your recommendations. I admire the technical mastership, but now I need a dose of Ace of Base to calm down.