What are you reading?

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Currently "Apocryphal Tales" by Karel Capek. I also have his "Nine Fairy Tales" in my library stack.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
You Can’t Escape the Woods: Unexplained Disappearances, Strange Encounters. It’s not as good as another book on the same subject, but it’s light reading for evenings. I’m a true crime fan, and especially enjoy unsolved mysteries/disappearances.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
You Can’t Escape the Woods: Unexplained Disappearances, Strange Encounters. It’s not as good as another book on the same subject, but it’s light reading for evenings. I’m a true crime fan, and especially enjoy unsolved mysteries/disappearances.

I can't read stuff like that at night, lol

My mom used to watch stuff like Unsolved Mysteries and it always freaked me out as a kid.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I can't read stuff like that at night, lol

My mom used to watch stuff like Unsolved Mysteries and it always freaked me out as a kid.

This book isn’t scaring me, but the better one did, lol. We are going on a trip, and thanks to this reading material I’m being far more safety conscious than I usually am. I didn’t watch Unsolved Mysteries much but love Disappeared.

Edited to say I also just started Scarred by a woman who was deep in the NXIVM cult. It’s very interesting.

Last edited:

drover13

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox
Have you read/heard about the Missing411 series?

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Color, A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay. It's more like a travelogue. Who would've thought that pigments and their sources could be so interesting? A yellow from oxen urine, a red used now in cosmetics from a bug, lead white for face paint (!), where blue was first found and why Michaelango never finished a particular painting because this blue was too expensive....etc. etc.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Color, A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay. It's more like a travelogue. Who would've thought that pigments and their sources could be so interesting? A yellow from oxen urine, a red used now in cosmetics from a bug, lead white for face paint (!), where blue was first found and why Michaelango never finished a particular painting because this blue was too expensive....etc. etc.

Didn't purple come from a seashell?

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Summer is great from reading, but this summer has been mostly projects, homeschool preparation, and praising.

Quick reads off the Internet now are focused on human behaviour and moral development; neurological brain activity during religious experiences, and synthetic substances (vaccines, prescription, etc.) on the human brain.

Found some great resources for future use:

• Human Brain Topography provided by North Dakota State university faculty [ PDF 16 pages visual link ]
  • Functionalist perspective on deviance - actions or behaviors that violate informal social norms or formally-enacted rules
  • A Review of Literature on religion on human behaviour in Kenya [ PDF 24 pages link]
  • Merton's typology
According to Merton, there are five types of deviance based upon these criteria [source link]:​
  • Conformity involves the acceptance of the cultural goals and means of attaining those goals.
  • Innovation involves the acceptance of the goals of a culture but the rejection of the traditional and/or legitimate means of attaining those goals. For example, a member of the Mafia values wealth but employs alternative means of attaining his wealth; in this example, the Mafia member’s means would be deviant.
  • Ritualism involves the rejection of cultural goals but the routinized acceptance of the means for achieving the goals.
  • Retreatism involves the rejection of both the cultural goals and the traditional means of achieving those goals.
  • Rebellion is a special case wherein the individual rejects both the cultural goals and traditional means of achieving them but actively attempts to replace both elements of the society with different goals and means.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Just finishing reading this 17 page paper on Escaped viruses - needs updating for the Corna
https://armscontrolcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Escaped-Viruses-final-2-17-14-copy.pdf

Only since 2009-2010 did major papers begin to state directly the 1977 emergence of H1N1 influenza was a laboratory related release: “The most famous case of a released laboratory strain is the re-emergent H1N1 influenza A virus which was first observed in China in May of 1977 and in Russia shortly thereafter.

Public awareness of the 1977 H1N1 pandemic and its likely laboratory origins has been virtually absent. Virologists and public health officials with the appropriate sophistication were quickly aware that a laboratory release was the most likely origin, but they were content not to publicize this, aware that such embarrassing allegations would likely end the then nascent cooperation of Russian and Chinese virologists, which was vital to worldwide influenza surveillance. An abundance of caution in making such suggestions was also in their own self-interest. The 1976 “swine flu” alarm and subsequent immunization program that proved to be unneeded caused 532 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome and 32 deaths. It was widely considered a misadventure, and had severely damaged the public and political credibility of the virology and public health communities. An acknowledgement of a pandemic originating from their laboratories would have only worsened it. The most plausible reason for a Chinese or Russian laboratory to thaw out and begin growing a c1950 H1N1 virus in 1976-77 was as a response to the US 1976 “swine flu” program, which resulted in a program to immunize the entire US population against H1N1 influenza virus. It was clearly a rational response for other countries with virology capabilities to explore making their own H1N1 vaccines. Thawing available frozen stocks of virus was necessary, because H1N1 was no longer circulating.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Just finishing reading this 17 page paper on Escaped viruses -

Several years ago I had a more than passing interest in pathogens, chronic disease, etc., like the role of viruses in cancer.

There's an entire weird subset of "the modern plague is coming" books-- whether it's Spanish Flu 2.0, Flying AIDs, antibiotic resistance (which is a genuine problem), or biowarfare.

I think there's a lot of people out there who are excited by the dramatic prospect of mass disease-- but in an old-fashioned plague way. We have plenty of people dying every day of all manner of incurable things.

Swine Flu '76 is a very interesting episode in general. Ron Paul was right the first time, lol