What are your Favorite Movies?

PUA_Rachacha

Woodpecker
Catholic
Best superhero movie imo: Watchmen Ultimate Cut.

It's basically the movie version of the graphic novel, shockingly faithful to the source material. Rorschach shits on any Marvel characters.

Best horror: Alien is hard to top. I know a lot of people prefer Aliens for the action but for me Alien is a superior movie. The set design and the atmosphere is unique.
I've seen Watchmen on the plane, presumably this was a theatrical cut. Is the Ultimate Cut much different?

PUA_Rachacha

Woodpecker
Catholic
Just a few off the top of my head that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

GATTACA (1997): about nature vs. nurture, eugenics. Vincent (Ethan Hawke) was born "naturally" in a time when most babies are eugenically designed with superior genes. He must "borrow" the genes of another man in order to get a chance at his dream at being an engineer and astronaut at the prestigious Gattaca aerospace corporation. while I don't agree with their position on genetics, I thought it was a well-made movie. Very engaging film , good writing and great style and visuals.

Galaxy Quest (1999): comedy that pokes fun at Star Trek but is also a quality film. Almost every scene is engaging, whether it's humor or seriousness.

Passengers (2016): this movie got terrible ratings, but I actually very much enjoyed the first half of the film. Jim (Chris Pratt) awakens early from hibernation on a space ship headed to a distant planet to colonize. He must deal with his loneliness and eventually decides to awaken a fellow passenger (Jennifer Lawrence) he falls in love with from viewing her file.
I enjoy all of these movies too and could watch them multiple times. Thanks for reminding me. I really liked Passengers, but probably b/c of JLaw

tothepoint

Banned
Agnostic
I've seen Watchmen on the plane, presumably this was a theatrical cut. Is the Ultimate Cut much different?

The Ultimate Cut is the Director's Cut + the animated comic. It brings the movie closer to the source material but I would say that the theatrical cut I saw in the cinema is good enough.

A director's cut with 24 minutes of additional footage was released in July 2009. The "Ultimate Cut" edition incorporated the animated comic Tales of the Black Freighter into the narrative as it was in the original graphic novel, lengthening the runtime to 3 hours and 35 minutes.

clutch

Pigeon
I don't watch many movies anymore, but before I hated Hollywood, here were some of my favorites (some mentioned, some not):

Moon
American Psycho
Mulholland Drive
Bernie
Ghostbusters (1984)
Braveheart
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Fight Club
Clockwork Orange
Christmas Vacation
Drive
The Social Network
Requiem for a Dream
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation
Fargo
Door in the Floor
Blue Velvet
Goodfellas
Edward Scissorhands
Seven
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Thin Red Line
U-Turn
A History of Violence

I have two favorite movies, which in my opinion most accurately describe the truth and reality.
First is Fight Club. I reckon this is a stage many of us who have at some point in their lives called themselves red pilled have gone through (hopefully without the actual fighting). Seeing reality for what it is, being fed up with your blue pilled, meaningless normie existance, and transcending and excelling in something greater than what you portrayed yourself to be, as you always knew you had it in you. That's the perfect antithesis between Tyler Durden and his counterpart. However, as we all know, seeing the material reality clear is not sufficient, as there is a next step we have to take.
Hence I will give you a present for this Christmas: . The Life of Christ is a phenomenal, tremendous account of the gospel of John. Use this link for HD quality. It is a Mormon project, but whatever you think of Mormonism enjoy the beauty, serenity and composure and character of Christ. Although we obviously cannot make assumptions about how Christ carried himself in the world, in my view this portrayal cannot come any closer.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Grow Bag

Pelican
Catholic
I'm not a big fan of Holywood and can't name many that have stuck in my memory. The best movies I've watched the past few decades have been foreign. For starters here's a few I can recommend.

1. Je ne suis pas là pour être aimé (not here to be loved). French
2. Zimna Wojna (Cold War). Polish
3. Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others)

PUA_Rachacha

Woodpecker
Catholic
I'm not a big fan of Holywood and can't name many that have stuck in my memory. The best movies I've watched the past few decades have been foreign. For starters here's a few I can recommend.

1. Je ne suis pas là pour être aimé (not here to be loved). French
2. Zimna Wojna (Cold War). Polish
3. Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others)
Das Leben der Anderen was one of the few movies that ever made me cry.

Oompoppamowmow

Sparrow
Catholic
Just a few off the top of my head that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

GATTACA (1997): about nature vs. nurture, eugenics. Vincent (Ethan Hawke) was born "naturally" in a time when most babies are eugenically designed with superior genes. He must "borrow" the genes of another man in order to get a chance at his dream at being an engineer and astronaut at the prestigious Gattaca aerospace corporation. while I don't agree with their position on genetics, I thought it was a well-made movie. Very engaging film , good writing and great style and visuals.

Galaxy Quest (1999): comedy that pokes fun at Star Trek but is also a quality film. Almost every scene is engaging, whether it's humor or seriousness.

Passengers (2016): this movie got terrible ratings, but I actually very much enjoyed the first half of the film. Jim (Chris Pratt) awakens early from hibernation on a space ship headed to a distant planet to colonize. He must deal with his loneliness and eventually decides to awaken a fellow passenger (Jennifer Lawrence) he falls in love with from viewing her file.

Gattaca’s soundtrack was great too. It made the movie. One of my favorites!

Athanasius

Pelican
Protestant
I have a new Christmas favorite-- saw Remember the Night again and in a new light. It's a touching film and really gives you some insight into how women were at one time. As someone older than the average RVF'er, I was able to grow up with many "Greatest Generation" types and women, at least from rural parts, were very much this way. I miss them and I miss old America.

Salinger

Banned
I have a new Christmas favorite-- saw Remember the Night again and in a new light. It's a touching film and really gives you some insight into how women were at one time. As someone older than the average RVF'er, I was able to grow up with many "Greatest Generation" types and women, at least from rural parts, were very much this way. I miss them and I miss old America.

My favorite new Christmas movie this year is The Shop Around The Corner. It was a welcome change from watching It's a Wonderful Life, although Jimmy Stewart is in both movies.

v1.bjs3MzU1Nzc7ajsxODYzODsxMjAwOzI2ODg7MTM0NA

Athanasius

Pelican
Protestant
My favorite new Christmas movie this year is The Shop Around The Corner. It was a welcome change from watching It's a Wonderful Life, although Jimmy Stewart is in both movies.

v1.bjs3MzU1Nzc7ajsxODYzODsxMjAwOzI2ODg7MTM0NA

Yes, the story has been redone a number of times but this one is the best of them.

Another great film I just recently became aware of is "It Happened on 5th Avenue" (1947). Funny and moving.

The 1935 Tale of Two Cities is a marvelous film, as is the Alistair Sim 1951 version of Christmas Carol (the 1938 version is good too).

Also the Blue Bird (1940). Beyond Tomorrow (1940) is an interesting old chestnut of a time gone by, with all-time great character actors like C. Aubrey Smith.

Last edited:

rumplex

Chicken
Protestant
1. Magnolia - Paul Thomas Anderson
2. 8 1/2 - Federico Fellini
3. Vivre Sa Vie - Jean-Luc Godard
4. Mirror - Andrei Tarkovsky
5. Taxi Driver - Martin Scorsese
6. Persona - Ingmar Bergman
7. That Obscure Object Of Desire - Luis Bunuel
8. Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid - Sam Peckinpah
9. A Clockwork Orange - Stanley Kubrick
10. It Happened On Night - Frank Capra
11. Raging Bull - Martin Scorsese
12. The Conformist - Bernardo Bertolucci
13. Le Cercle Rouge - Jean-Pierre Melville
14. Blow-Up - Michelangelo Antonioni
15. Pickpocket - Robert Bresson
Great list.
What do you love about Vivre Sa Vie? An unusual choice.