What books would you recommend young men read which aren't extremely controversial?

The Rational Male, Rollo Tomassi. Insight on how half of the world's population treats most men, and how not to become a slave .

I was going to ironically suggest this, not because it isn't good, but it's not exactly uncontroversial.

It is perhaps the single most important book for a young man to read as he enters the age of the sexual market. Even as a Christian striving to abstain from the casual sex ecosystem, I grasp so much more about gender dynamics because of Rollo's work. It turned me from the path of despair.

Bachelor Pad Economics is perhaps the single best practical guide to life for anyone living right now. He is extremely redpilled on just about every dimension of our society and offers cogent advice for navigating such a putrefied system as the one we live in. He's also relentlessly libertarian in an entertaining way.

Aboulia

Robin
The Mountain Wreath, It's a Serbian epic poem that deals with the nation being under constant oppression from outside forces, and it's struggle to maintain it's identity in the face of Turkish secularism and the Venetian oligarchy. It's a poem promoting unity, bravery, and self sacrifice. It's not that controversial because it's not that well known.

Here's an excerpt

God is angry with the Serbian people
because of their many mortal sins.
Our kings and tsars trampled upon the Law
They began to fight each other fiercely
and to gouge out each other's very eyes.
They neglected the government and state
and chose folly to be their guiding light.
Their servants ceased to obey their masters
and washed themselves in the blood of their tsars.
Our own leaders, God's curse be on their souls,
carved the empire into little pieces
and sapped the strength of the Serbs wantonly.
Our own leaders, may all their trace vanish,
sowed the bitter seed of disharmony
and thus poisoned the entire Serbian tribe.
Our own leaders, miserable cowards,
thus became the traitors of our nation.
The Serbian name has perished everywhere.
Mighty lions have become meek peasants.
Rash and greedy converted to Islam -
- may their Serb milk make them all sick with plague!
Those who escaped before the Turkish sword,
those who did not blaspheme at the True Faith,
those who refused to be thrown into chains,
took refuge here in these lofty mountains
to shed their blood together and to die,
heroically to keep the sacred
oath, their lovely name, and their holy freedom.

bmw633

Robin
I was going to ironically suggest this, not because it isn't good, but it's not exactly uncontroversial.

It is perhaps the single most important book for a young man to read as he enters the age of the sexual market. Even as a Christian striving to abstain from the casual sex ecosystem, I grasp so much more about gender dynamics because of Rollo's work. It turned me from the path of despair.

Bachelor Pad Economics is perhaps the single best practical guide to life for anyone living right now. He is extremely redpilled on just about every dimension of our society and offers cogent advice for navigating such a putrefied system as the one we live in. He's also relentlessly libertarian in an entertaining way.
I don't know that it is controversial, but enlightening it is.

Aaron Clarey is a hoot!!!

The Rational Male, Rollo Tomassi. Insight on how half of the world's population treats most men, and how not to become a slave .

Mine just came in the mail this week, I usually spend 2-4 hrs a day reading important topics on the net but very much enjoy having a book in my hand. So far its a very confirming read. I really wish I would have embarked on the redpill world much younger to avoid so many obstacles early on.

NoFunInAus

Woodpecker
I think Bukowski has value;

there is enough treachery, hatred violence absurdity in the average
human being to supply any given army on any given day

and the best at murder are those who preach against it
and the best at hate are those who preach love
and the best at war finally are those who preach peace

those who preach god, need god
those who preach peace do not have peace
those who preach peace do not have love

beware the preachers
beware the knowers
beware those who are always reading books
beware those who either detest poverty
or are proud of it
beware those quick to praise
for they need praise in return
beware those who are quick to censor
they are afraid of what they do not know
beware those who seek constant crowds for
they are nothing alone
beware the average man the average woman
beware their love, their love is average
seeks average

but there is genius in their hatred
there is enough genius in their hatred to kill you
to kill anybody
not wanting solitude
not understanding solitude
they will attempt to destroy anything
that differs from their own
not being able to create art
they will not understand art
they will consider their failure as creators
only as a failure of the world
not being able to love fully
they will believe your love incomplete
and then they will hate you
and their hatred will be perfect

like a shining diamond
like a knife
like a mountain
like a tiger
like hemlock

their finest art

animum-rege

Sparrow
Getting Things Done by David Allen.

I avoided this book for years, because GTD struck me as one of those cult-like productivity systems for workaholics obsessed with squeezing value out of every moment of the day.

I couldn't have been more wrong. This is one of those books that divides my life into a "before" and "after" I read it.

The crux of GTD is to have a "mind like water"—unfettered by anything except the current task at hand. As Allen says, "There is no reason to have a thought more than once, unless you enjoy having that thought." Minimizing stress and unnecessary energy burn allows your mind to be fully absorbed in life itself.

The problem is that many of us are saturated with "open loops"— we think about things we want or need to do without clarifying what the next steps are. So you have the thoughts "I should start a book club" and "I need to file my taxes" and "That project is due on Friday" bouncing around in your head. Disorganized, you are stuck in permanent reactivity, operating at a fraction of your capacity (but expending tons of mental energy and stress).

Following a basic GTD approach made me tremendously more productive, while easing mental strain to the point where it's almost offputting. I sometimes have to pretend to be more stressed out than I am, so that my clients don't think I'm not taking the work seriously.

I recommend this book to everyone.

Digi

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I read it back in highschool, and I haven't gone a single day since then without using something I learned in the book. It's one of the few out of thousands that I've read which has had a concrete and lasting effect on my life. Marcus Aurelius teaches emotional resilience, and I can thank him for the fact that I didn't give up and eat a bullet a long time ago.
What's the premise of this book? I see many recommendations but have never understood what's important about it.

Basic Teachings on Virtue and Morality
My personal recommendations you want to be virtuous, truth-seeking, and good. Obviously applies only to people who are interested in the truth.

The Four Gospels, obviously, because they are easy to read, non-esoteric, and contain the history of Christ the living God.

I recommend Wisdom + Ecclesiastes because it's so good and contains a lot of ancient Hebrew wisdom. Since many of the Hebrews didn't have a concept of heaven, you basically can learn about "le nihilist" philosophy but in a virtuous and traditional way.

Aristotle + Plato for understanding the foundation of Western thinking. Don't think of it as "philosophy" since that term has been co-opted by Anglo-modernists. It's actually more like "how to live the good life". Also, Socrates was actually extremely religious and would be considered a wackjob in today's society. Fight me.

Zhuangzi for learning about knowledge, skepticism, and how to know the good life for what it is. Basically imagine Descartes except smarter, Chinese, funnier, and less influenced by modernism.

• The Four Gospels
  • Ecclesiastes
  • Book of Wisdom
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
  • Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics
  • Plato's Symposium
  • Zhuangzi / Chuang-Tzu

Last edited: