What do you believe happens after death?

rainy

Kingfisher
Do you believe this is the one life we get and after that we go to either heaven or hell?

Do you believe this life is one of many, a single chapter in a book and we go step by step thru many lives until reaching heaven? This belief would align with reincarnation. I know many Christians who do believe in reincarnation. And many who don't.

Do you believe in judgement day in the presence of God after this life or, that we all at some point in the future face a day of judgement?

Do you believe we're again together with loved ones after we pass in heaven?

What are your thoughts on cremation vs burial?

I personally was raised in the Christian church yet have always, since a child, had the deep down belief this is one life of many and reincarnation is true. It's always been a gut feeling of mine. That we have many tests(lives) until we ultimately earn our place next to God in eternity. It was part of my faith statement when joining the church in HS.

I lost someone close to me today. It was sudden and unexpected. When things like this happen I tend to question what happens after death. I know this individual's soul has moved on.

Interested in everyone's thoughts. The person who passed on today was Christian Orthodox and lived in Bulgaria. In Bulgaria it is believed the soul remains present around family for 40 days. Then moves onto the next step.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
I read one of these books, I can't recall which exactly, but it was great.

https://www.drmaryneal.com/

She was told, while in the spirit realm, of her son's impending death which happened 10 years later. There is much detail provided about what to expect. Most of this book resonated with me because of some crazy stories that I shared on this other thread, What convinced you Satan is real?. In this other thread, I've place two (2) entries, page 5 and 6.

Enjoy

John 3:16

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
  • book2.jpg
    book2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
I believe death is not the end, but the beginning of something else. What happens to the body in death has no consequence on what happens to the spirit/soul. The truth is stranger than fiction, and we will likely never have satisfactory scientific answers in this realm unless we have faith in God. If you do believe in God, imagine being next to him, where all things are possible through him. Reincarnation, reuniting with loved ones, judgement, reliving the defining moments of your life... all quite possible.

Jive Turkey

Sparrow
I died and crossed over to the other side in a dream once. I met God, or maybe the Holy Spirit. He had an incredibly, and I mean INCREDIBLY powerful voice (still gives me chills) the emanated from everywhere at once. I was in a grey, peaceful and calm "waiting room". I wasn't happy, sad, scared, or anything like that. Just peaceful, neutral, and a little bewildered and confused. There was pretty much nothing there, but I could sense God/Holy Spirit was around me.

I also got the sense that all the souls of humans who made it to this place were "in" God/Holy Spirit, almost like a collective oversoul, but it was distinctly God as well.

I was an unbeliever at the time, and foolishly was for many years after this dream as well. So in the dream, when I got to this place, I asked God, "Why am I here, I didn't believe in you?"

He said to me "You did the best that you could, and that is all I can ask, but it isn't your time now, and you have to go back."

I remember wanting to ask Him so many more questions, but I came to very shortly after that. I sat in my bed for a minute or too and tried to process what had happened. Interestingly, my sister walked in to wake me up, maybe 30 seconds after God sent me back. Strange timing to say the least.

So, at any rate, I take this dream to be a sort of fore-taste. There is something that happens. God has a presence that is incredibly powerful, and being around it is an incredible feeling and a blessing. Once we are in Heaven I imagine we will be rejoined to God, but from there I cannot say. Will it be like a perfect city, or like the Garden of Eden, or like something else? I couldn't begin to speculate. But whatever God has in store for us will be the best possible thing for our human nature perfected in Christ. :)

I died and crossed over to the other side in a dream once. I met God, or maybe the Holy Spirit. He had an incredibly, and I mean INCREDIBLY powerful voice (still gives me chills) the emanated from everywhere at once. I was in a grey, peaceful and calm "waiting room". I wasn't happy, sad, scared, or anything like that. Just peaceful, neutral, and a little bewildered and confused. There was pretty much nothing there, but I could sense God/Holy Spirit was around me.

I also got the sense that all the souls of humans who made it to this place were "in" God/Holy Spirit, almost like a collective oversoul, but it was distinctly God as well.

I was an unbeliever at the time, and foolishly was for many years after this dream as well. So in the dream, when I got to this place, I asked God, "Why am I here, I didn't believe in you?"

He said to me "You did the best that you could, and that is all I can ask, but it isn't your time now, and you have to go back."

I remember wanting to ask Him so many more questions, but I came to very shortly after that. I sat in my bed for a minute or too and tried to process what had happened. Interestingly, my sister walked in to wake me up, maybe 30 seconds after God sent me back. Strange timing to say the least.

So, at any rate, I take this dream to be a sort of fore-taste. There is something that happens. God has a presence that is incredibly powerful, and being around it is an incredible feeling and a blessing. Once we are in Heaven I imagine we will be rejoined to God, but from there I cannot say. Will it be like a perfect city, or like the Garden of Eden, or like something else? I couldn't begin to speculate. But whatever God has in store for us will be the best possible thing for our human nature perfected in Christ. :)
Something along this is it. Maybe incarnation? I am not sure but maybe possible.

How do I come to this conclusion?
While I was heavily and deeply stuck in blue pill life, I had a near death experience after an accident (falling on my head and breaking my skull, with severe trauma and feeling sick later for about half year). Bystanders told me my eyes were looking empty like that of a dead person which made them freak out. This lasted for about 1minute and after that, I woke up again.
During that time, I was considered dead I could feel my spirit left my body and travelled far away where I met God in a form of warmth and my dead relatives. They were very loving but also troubled to see me telling me my time has not come yet and I have to go back to which I heavily objected and told I cannot go back to that cold world. They told me that I had to and learn more and I will see my destiny.
After that, I could feel my spirit falling down thru dark and cold realms until plunging right back into my body. Then I woke up and felt like being under water and started breathing again. Right at the time bystanders saw me waking up.

Some years later I had a similar but less troubling experience during surgery (being already on a red pill path) and the same setting telling me I am now on the right path to learn about realities.

I feel protected being spared from the biggest mistakes I would probably do. On the other hand, I often do not know what direction to take. However that part maybe does not matter much anyway.

DanielH

Pelican

Ignore this dream you had completely. Dreams are almost entirely demonic. As Orthodox, we actually pray for dreamless/undisturbed sleep. We have a concept of prelest, or spiritual delusion, where demons mislead us into believing completely false things. Demons can quote scripture and appear as angels of light. This dream could have been from demons trying to get you to think that you did enough to be saved, that you don't need to repent anymore. That's wrong, many Saints died wishing they had more time to repent. No Saint died thinking they were saintly.

Jive Turkey

Sparrow
Ignore this dream you had completely. Dreams are almost entirely demonic. As Orthodox, we actually pray for dreamless/undisturbed sleep. We have a concept of prelest, or spiritual delusion, where demons mislead us into believing completely false things. Demons can quote scripture and appear as angels of light. This dream could have been from demons trying to get you to think that you did enough to be saved, that you don't need to repent anymore. That's wrong, many Saints died wishing they had more time to repent. No Saint died thinking they were saintly.

Hmmm... I will think about this. I don't believe in salvation by works alone, but it also seems odd that a demon could appear as God. Do you think God allows demons to present themselves to humans as Him? I am open to the idea, do you have any sources you recommend I read to look into this?

DanielH

Pelican
Hmmm... I will think about this. I don't believe in salvation by works alone, but it also seems odd that a demon could appear as God. Do you think God allows demons to present themselves to humans as Him? I am open to the idea, do you have any sources you recommend I read to look into this?
Satan is the master of lies, why wouldn't he and his ilk do such a thing? Look at what God allowed Satan to do in the Book of Job. Satan had the gall to offer the world to Christ Himself, something he had no authority to do. John the Baptist and Christ preached repentance. Nowhere was there ever an implication of "hey, you didn't believe in me, but whatever, you did alright." I recommend you talk to an Orthodox priest, I am simply not qualified to have the level of discussion you are asking for. I am just a neophyte.

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
I can believe some of that ...

But, Acts Chpt 2 says your old men shall dream dreams ...

"16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: "

Also,

"the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream"

Etc., etc. ...

Jive Turkey

Sparrow
Satan is the master of lies, why wouldn't he and his ilk do such a thing? Look at what God allowed Satan to do in the Book of Job. Satan had the gall to offer the world to Christ Himself, something he had no authority to do. John the Baptist and Christ preached repentance. Nowhere was there ever an implication of "hey, you didn't believe in me, but whatever, you did alright." I recommend you talk to an Orthodox priest, I am simply not qualified to have the level of discussion you are asking for. I am just a neophyte.
Well if you are a neophyte you probably shouldn't make statements as strong as "ignore that dream completely. I say this with respect, as I am new to the faith as well. I'm not basing my entire worldview on a single dream, but I can say, that the presence in that dream was far more powerful than anything I've felt in my waking life by magnitudes of millions. Millions of times more powerful than a waterfall, jet aircraft, cruise ship, etc.

Also thank you @Mike_Key for your response with scripture

DanielH

Pelican
I can believe some of that ...

But, Acts Chpt 2 says your old men shall dream dreams ...

"16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: "

Also,

"the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream"

Etc., etc. ...
Look, outside of the Church you are only going to experience prelest in dreams. Never assume you're at the level of a prophet. Frankly this entire thread should be locked as it's a hotbed of heresy. The initial question shouldn't be “What do you think happens after death” it should be “What does the Church say happens after death”. This is the Orthodox Christian subforum. I'm giving you all answers that the Church agrees with, I learned them from the Church. I am a neophyte in that I am not trained in applying these in pastoral concerns and especially not to people on the internet. I'm trying to help here. Good feelings aren't a proof of the divine, you can get good feelings from drugs. @Roosh

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
I'm protestant so I don't believe in salvation by works.

As for demons mascarading as God, I wouldn't say "as God" but as angels. I can't think of any references or written works immediately but maybe they are out there ... I can think of cults - those may be influenced by Satan.

The references and books are out there if one thinks about it. It does bring to my mind Peter - his ideas were "loving" ideas but definitely misplaced and rebuked promptly for the purpose of God's mighty plan(s).

21From that time on Jesusc began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and that He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him. “Far be it from You, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to You!”

23But Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me. For you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”

This reminds me of Protestant and/or Catholic people that love "love", they love so much that they don't know God. As CS Lewis put it "their love becomes a demon."

For me this means, they love everyone and everything - and are willing to give (and give and give) no matter the destruction. Think of taxes - the gov't is stealing from you - removing your ability to give where you see fit. They know better than you.

If you think of the culture war - these people that love "love" may actually hate you if you dislike something that they see as their pet project or something that they see as their current devotion.

Edit:

Ah, as I sit here and think ...

Very funny, I recall Milton Friedman, the famous economist ... he'd often say:

"where are these angels that you speak of, where are these bureaucratic government angels that will save the day? ..."

Last edited:

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
Look, outside of the Church you are only going to experience prelest in dreams. Never assume you're at the level of a prophet. Frankly this entire thread should be locked as it's a hotbed of heresy. The initial question shouldn't be “What do you think happens after death” it should be “What does the Church say happens after death”. This is the Orthodox Christian subforum. I'm giving you all answers that the Church agrees with, I learned them from the Church. I am a neophyte in that I am not trained in applying these in pastoral concerns and especially not to people on the internet. I'm trying to help here. Good feelings aren't a proof of the divine, you can get good feelings from drugs. @Roosh

Are Protestants not allowed in the "Orthodox Christian subforum"?

Serious question

Don Quixote

Woodpecker
Are Protestants not allowed in the "Orthodox Christian subforum"?

Serious question
Is philosophical thought that goes against a church dogma off the table for discussion? Pretty sure OP didn't want a recital of a specific church theology. His question seems pretty general to me.

rainy

Kingfisher
Is philosophical thought that goes against a church dogma off the table for discussion? Pretty sure OP didn't want a recital of a specific church theology. His question seems pretty general to me.
Well I'm the OP, and I was raised Christian. And I started this thread because I was questioning what happens after death, days after my father in law passed on. He was Orthodox Christian.

And no matter your religion, you should always question. Always seek to learn. That's where true understanding and commitment comes from.

I recently raised the same question to a Catholic deacon who I work with. Did he attempt to shut down my questioning or tell me my thinking was wrong? No. He said when our busy season passes let's get a coffee and I'd me more than happy to talk to you about any questions you have.

To me, that's more the response I'd expect from a church leader. And frankly, ever church higher-up I've ever sat down with loves discussion.

Pantheon

Pigeon
The common view is that this world is life and the next world is death. I believe the opposite, this world is death whereas the next world is life. This world is entropy, change and impermanence whereas the next world is eternal life. As usual, modern thinking has it upside down. Your life is what remains after you die.