What do you think about country music?

jollycynic

Sparrow
I want to like country, but for the most part it seems to be instrumentally sterile. Musically boring regardless of what lyrics the frontman is reciting.

I heard a lot of pop country growing up and assumed I hated the whole genre until I heard this one. Now I'm getting into a lot of alt country and bluegrass.

Wayfaring Stranger by 16 Horsepower

This band actually split up over Christianity. The Christian one is called Wovenhand now.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
America could have really stayed great had we not be sold out by the powers that be... and had the internet and social media came along an skewed the fuck out of female/male relationships.

This song now makes me sad.

There are no more Detroit Auto workers, Pittsburgh Steel Mill workers, or WVA Coal miners to thank for their time and he rest of the jobs mentioned are done by Mexicans and chinese.

Hello unnnnnndoc-umented field worker let me thank you for your time.

Aloha!

Slim Whitman

Sparrow
Country music is great but you have to be very selective and almost every artist that came to fame in the past decade is severely compromised.

Sorry I haven't had time to read through this entire thread so forgive me if some of these are repeats, but here are some classic artists that are worth checking out, along with one of their better songs:

Slim Whitman - Cattle Call
Ernest Tubb - Waltz Across Texas
Faron Young - Hello Walls
Little Jimmy Dickens - Country Boy
Boxcar Willie - Hank and the Hobo
The Carter Family - Can the Circle be Unbroken
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - You're From Texas
Jimmie Rodgers - In the Jailhouse Now
Billy Walker - Cross the Brazos at Waco

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
I like Country, I like Waylon, Willie, Jerry Reed, Hank Williams and some other tracks here and there. Love the instrumentation and lyrics. Interesting how some of you seem to hate it whereas as me, being outside of the cultural sphere of it finds it so interesting.

Slim Whitman - Cattle Call
Ernest Tubb - Waltz Across Texas
Faron Young - Hello Walls
Little Jimmy Dickens - Country Boy
Boxcar Willie - Hank and the Hobo
The Carter Family - Can the Circle be Unbroken
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - You're From Texas
Jimmie Rodgers - In the Jailhouse Now
Billy Walker - Cross the Brazos at Waco

Classic country (20s- 50s) is for me the best era of country music. Not saying there weren't good artists after that, but for me country music, has become more like pop music with fiddles since the 80s. There are some great neotraditional artists nowadays, but i've not dived too deep in yet.

stugatz

Pelican
I like "oldies country" like Hank Williams, Hank Williams Jr., Alabama, Merle Haggard, Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker Band, Willie Nelson. I also have a huge soft spot for '90s country like Garth Brooks, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn.

I'm not outright enthralled with it like I am with a lot of other music, but it's fun when it hits the spot.

Somehow on topic
Many of you are familiar with the works of the late country legend Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
But very few know that Cash was an amazing gospel singer - he wrote and sang a lots of gospel songs. (He admitted he much preferred gospel to country)

Somehow on topic
Many of you are familiar with the works of the late country legend Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
But very few know that Cash was an amazing gospel singer - he wrote and sang a lots of gospel songs. (He admitted he much preferred gospel to country)
I did not know that. But I'm not surprised, because his music is very Christian, in a sense that many of his songs are from the perspective of someone on the Cross, who looks for salvation. His music embodies the human nature of Christ, suffering like Christ and looking for salvation as a man.