What do you think about country music?

Bolly

Pelican
So couple months back I went to a Willie Nelson concert and they had this guy come on for the opening act. I didn't know there was gonna be one and apparently no one else did either. He was up singing on stage and people were calling out "who are you, what's your name!?". And he was like, "I'm Tennessee Jet!, who are you??" But man he could sing and he had some great songs. He's more true to real country music. Western music's little cousin.

This is the kind of stuff that should be played on radio, not this pop country garbage. And yet musicians like him get no love from Nashville. Then again neither did Willie, and he shoved it right up there asses. Maybe that's why Willie was trying to prop him up a bit. The guy deserves it. And speaking of Willie, man he's damn near one day older than Moses and still touring over the road. Pretty impressive. He just kind of shuffles around now, and kind of speaks his lyrics instead of singing. But it was a lotta fun.

Kickass song...

Greatest rendition of this song out there...

Athanasius

Pelican
Here's one of the quintessential country songs. The great Buck Owens with one of the great country sidekicks, Don Rich.

Speaking of Buck Owens, listen to this guy do Buckaroo with his B-bender (comes in around 1:11). If this doesn't make you want to go out and ride the ponderosa, then I don't know what to do with you.

Murdock

Sparrow
“When I was your age, we had these things called songs. They were two minute stories about people falling in love or burning down Georgia. But I guess Hollywood decided we needed more criminals yelling about their lady-friend’s...baby place.”

-Hank Hill

It’s funny but I also thought it fit with the topic of this discussion, as Hank was almost certainly talking about the Country-Western genre.

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
Anything after 1988 , I'll normally turn off. I like a bit of outlaw country and other classic stuff by Conway Twitty/Johnny Cash/Loretta Lynn/Dolly Parton/Patsy Cline/George Jones etc. Anything pre mid 80s country is mostly the only country i'll listen to.

Here's one of my favorites by Patsy Cline. Reminds me of the the innocent youth i had with my grandmother.

Granny used to listen to this song whenever i was a little kid and she was a house cleaner and she'd lug this giant freakin boombox with while she vacuumed/mopped/dusted these insanely rich peoples houses and blast Patsy Cline on the cassette player part of it .

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Lace em up said:
Being born and raised in the big city, we weren't exposed to much county music, but even I knew this song ain't about playing poker.

Rest In Peace Kenny Rogers. A country music legend.

Definitely this guy had a couple of red pill moments in his songs.

Ruby - Song about an Ex Vet in a Wheelchair who comes home and his girl goes out banging dudes all night
"Its hard to love a man whos legs are bent and paralyzed. And the wants and needs of a woman your age, Ruby I realize."

"And if I could move I'd get my gun and put her in the ground"

Lucille
Kenny meets a beautiful woman at the bar whose farmer husband shows up and asks her why she left him. Kenny in the end can't close the deal, too freaky, that treacherous. I don't blame him

Coward of The County
A lifelong pacifist in a small town finally reaches his limit, when the Gatlin boys rape his girl.
" Poppa I hope you understand, Sometimes you gotta fight when you're a man"

Bolly

Pelican
John Prine passed from the Corona. He had some great songs. RIP.

This song meant a lot to Vietnam vets.

Sam Stone was alone
When he popped his last balloon
Climbing walls while sitting in a chair
Well, he played his last request
While the room smelled just like death
With an overdose hovering in the air
But life had lost its fun
And there was nothing to be done
But trade his house that he bought on the G. I. Bill
For a flag draped casket on a local heroes' hill.

Mountaineer

Ostrich
Gold Member
When I was young I thought that country was lame but the older I get the more I've come to like it. Makes me calmer and more focused on living outside of the city.