What if your Roommate has COVID-19?

Sebastian

Pelican
My roommate looks pretty sick. It looks like he has a flu but obviously we don't know till he gets tested and get the result.

He told me couple people got tested Positive at his work. He also said his brother in law got Corona, almost died and was on oxygen for few days. (he claimed he hasn't seen him for few weeks)

We are just roommates from craigslist. We just share the place, no hangouts. That is it.

Here is the thing. He talks like he is ENTITLED to stay at home even if he is tested Positive. (Tenant Rights?) He said hospital will only treat you for few days and they will just send you home still with Corona in your system.

I asked if he could stay with his family. Of course just like I Predicted, he said they don't have enough space for him and he doesn't want his brother in law sick again and his nieces.

I asked 'Is it because we (other roommate and I) are not as important as your family?' (which is just a fact. ) But he said he cares about everyone and Humanity. yeah right.

He was saying Hey corona is not that bad. you will just get sick for a week like a flu and you will be fine. we are not even 60s so we don't have to worry.

I also told him about the fact other roommate and I don't have Insurance. he said they treat you for Free these days so we don't have to worry.

He is saying he will just stay at his room and minimize his movement and everything would be fine.

Look, I am not Stupid. He wants to do that because we are just Strangers from CL. Our lives don't matter to him just like I don't have feelings for others I hear on news.

What if all of us gets sick? He can just move the hell out, I won't see him Forever.

I didn't ask him yet about staying at motel temporarily but I am sure he will come up with excuses about money. (meaning our lives are worth less than $500~1000)

I know Tenant Law is pretty strict. so I Can't just kick him out.

What would you do? Should I be Humane about it? Should I take a chance for a roommate from CL? since Corona is not that bad for younger people just like Flu and govt will treat you for free?

Latan

Pelican
OP, this guy won't go to a hotel and doesn't care about your health.
Then go to the hotel yourself, or stay with a friend / family.
Changing people is almost impossible (most are too dumb and selfish), changing yourself is possible.

Just keep that episode in mind, the next time he'll ask you for any help / service.

Given it does not seem like coronavirus is a big deal, I probably wouldn't bother, perhaps wiping surfaces down aggressively and being sure to keep your door closed. I hope, contrary to the name, you don't actually share rooms. From what I can tell, it seems like an above average, but not the worst, kind of flu.

If the coronavirus was actually a big deal I'd probably kick up a bigger stink with the landlord. But I assume you are the landlord and cannot really do anything.

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Gold Member
The Catalyst said:
Given it does not seem like coronavirus is a big deal, I probably wouldn't bother, perhaps wiping surfaces down aggressively and being sure to keep your door closed. I hope, contrary to the name, you don't actually share rooms. From what I can tell, it seems like an above average, but not the worst, kind of flu.

If the coronavirus was actually a big deal I'd probably kick up a bigger stink with the landlord. But I assume you are the landlord and cannot really do anything.
'Roommate' and 'college' are two of the most misunderstood colloquialisms from the US.

99% of the time roommate means 'flatmate' = not sharing a bedroom.
99% of the time college means any higher education and most often = university.

Sebastian

Pelican
Latan said:
OP, this guy won't go to a hotel and doesn't care about your health.
Then go to the hotel yourself, or stay with a friend / family.
Changing people is almost impossible (most are too dumb and selfish), changing yourself is possible.

Just keep that episode in mind, the next time he'll ask you for any help / service.
That is exactly right. He doesn't care about our health. We are less of human to him because we just met through CL. What does he have to lose? If we all get sick, he can just move out and I won't see him forever.

I will try to push him to get a motel. In worst case scenario, he can only use the restroom (we share) and I will ban him using the kitchen by monitoring with camera.

He will probably talk about his Rights and Freedom. I think Freedom means you can do whatever as long as it doesn't interfere with other people's freedom and don't put them in danger?

Sebastian

Pelican
We don't share a room but share a bathroom.

I am a master tenant in this house. Right now, you can't kick someone out even if they can't pay the rent. I am sure some people will call me being cruel by trying to kick a sick person out. They don't know the story. I am also 100% sure there is nobody in this earth who will take sick person as a roommate right now.

The Catalyst said:

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
Sebastian said:
Look, I am not Stupid.
I have some bad news. You already got it, my man.

Just ride the wave together. Hit up Simeon_Strangelight for some medical advice. Take advantage of the downtime. Learn something new. When and when not to capitalize the first letters of words looks like an area you could improve on.

After that, maybe you guys will be pals? Don't throw the poor guy out.

Try some positive thinking and some good old fashioned kindness. Like I said, you are already infected. You've been sharing a bathroom with a coronavirus guy. You have no medical insurance and live with roommates. Those are strong indicators of a bathroom that ain't the cleanest of places.

You are as guilty as he is. Be nice, stay out of Hawaii for six months, and get well soon.

Aloha!

Peacock
Gold Member
OP - the thing is very contagious, you probably already have it if you share the same pad with someone who has it. That guy was asymptomatic and contagious before the onset of his disease.

Get vitamin C in bulk, both for you and for him, this is your first line of defense. The second line is hydroxychloroquine, with azythro and zinc, it works, and it's cheap, find a doctor who will prescribe it.

The real mortality rate for someone your age is well below 0.1%, no need to panic. two of mu friends who are very healthy guys in their late 40s got it, it was like a really bad flu that weakened them for a couple of weeks.

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
In general.
By the time a flatmate thinks they are or tests positive.
You would have been exposed to some degree.
May as well just shelter in place together for two or three weeks.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
SamuelBRoberts said:
If you really think your life is in danger why aren't you paying him the 500-1000$ for a hotel?

Are your lives not worth 500$-1000$?
Because everyone wants something for nothing.

Jeans

Sparrow
Whether you care to admit it or not, you'd be making the same rationalizations as him if the roles were reversed. You're fucking CL roommates. Do you even really care that much if he lives or dies? It'd be weird but you'd be basically over it in 48 hours.

If you're really concerned for your life, take out on credit cards, rent a car and rent a cabin somewhere. Pretend a powerful gang was out to murder you, and your death was all but certain if you stayed where you were. You'd figure something out then wouldn't you? Truth is, you're rationalizing that you won't get sick from him, because, well...it just won't happen to you will it. Equally as irrational and uncaring and the stuff your roommate is saying.

This is a tough situation; no easy answers here. Probably rent a motel room, sleep in your car, or...if those aren’t options, good luck. Not likely anybody will take you in now that you’ve been exposed. (By the way, isn’t it odd how even healthy young[ish] guys like us tend to start taking this thing seriously once it hits close to home?)
Well, maybe prayer will help. (No doubt you can get plenty of tips on that around here.) I for one will put in a good word for you (for whatever that’s worth). Best wishes!

Speculation

Kingfisher
I think its crazy to think of kicking someone out during a crisis like this, even if they get the virus.

The guy pays rent. He has a legal entitlement to live where he is. What if the roles were reversed and you were the one that came down with it? Would you consider moving out at your own expense to save your flatmates? Two weeks in a hotel is not cheap, particularly if forced to use room service for all your meals which can be crazily inconvenient if bedridden.

There are guides out there on how to live with a flatmate with the virus. It basically involves him warning the rest of the house when he will use the common facilities like bathroom and kitchen and then wiping down surfaces when he's done. If he refuses to do this and lounges around common areas coughing his lungs out and not wiping things down then he's a complete prick, but you still can't kick him out. Your options there are basically to find somewhere else to live for a couple of weeks. Then kick yourself for not vetting your flatmate correctly for being a considerate person when you interviewed him and be more careful next time.

Peacock
Gold Member
Wiping stuff up won't work if you live in the same apartment. The OP has already been exposed to it and is not posting an update because he is either dead, or in a covid ward watching middle aged nurses twerk from the corner of his eyes while being intubated.