What is Orthodox Christianity?

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
Orthodox priests (and bishops, etc.) see themselves as servants of a lower position on the "totem pole" than laymen. This is an interesting distinction between Rome and Orthodoxy, as I've heard from people with experience in the Catholic world, where there's more of an air or lording over people and asserting authority for its own sake (and probably reflected by the long-time Latin practice of offering the laity communion in one kind.)

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Brothers, I prayed today as I often do that God strengthen my faith. But today I prayed specifically about my relationship with my priest. Within an hour of finishing the prayer rule, the father contacted me and asked if I'd like to meet with him tomorrow.

I feel very thankful for this opportunity and moved to discuss his stance on certain current events, especially covid.

As I see his message to me about meeting tomorrow as a blessing from God, would you recommend I address the subjects listed above or just allow The Holy Spirit to guide the meeting?

Perhaps this is a trivial question, but Im always very excited to get one on one time with my priest. He is an amazing man and I always sense God's presence when I'm with him.

We've had discussions before about current events and his stance on communism as he's from the former Yugoslavia, but I guess I want affirmation that he sees what many of us see here.

Prores

Sparrow
Orthodox
Brothers, I prayed today as I often do that God strengthen my faith. But today I prayed specifically about my relationship with my priest. Within an hour of finishing the prayer rule, the father contacted me and asked if I'd like to meet with him tomorrow.

I feel very thankful for this opportunity and moved to discuss his stance on certain current events, especially covid.

As I see his message to me about meeting tomorrow as a blessing from God, would you recommend I address the subjects listed above or just allow The Holy Spirit to guide the meeting?

Perhaps this is a trivial question, but Im always very excited to get one on one time with my priest. He is an amazing man and I always sense God's presence when I'm with him.

We've had discussions before about current events and his stance on communism as he's from the former Yugoslavia, but I guess I want affirmation that he sees what many of us see here.

If he doesn't know everything you know, understand that he spends his time with the sick, the suffering and the dying. He conducts weekly liturgies and attends parish council meetings. Looking after the spiritual lives of possible hundreds of people, he may not have any time to research these topics in the same level of detail as some of the posters here. Instead look for his general disposition, look for traits like humility and patience.

iop890

Peacock
Orthodox
Gold Member

I had a similar experience today, I had a serious concern about something I won't get into, and prayed about it. Just a quick and somewhat lazy prayer actually, and I told myself I'd pray more when I got home this evening. When I went to speak to my priest about it he put his hand on my arm and addressed my exact concern before I'd mentioned or even alluded to it. Been on cloud nine ever since. So I ended up praying prayers of thanksgiving when I got home instead.