What is Orthodoxy's view on predestination and why is it correct?

Retard_Strength

Chicken
Orthodox Catechumen
"...you now can go back a few hundred years in history to John Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion, which is this thick, tiny print, but if you ever go mad and actually force yourself to read it, rather than to read what an encyclopedia tells you it says, you'll find that Calvin says that the saved are saved before they are born, the damned, who are 19 to 1, are damned before they're born and no amount of good works or behavior can save the damned. And no amount of evil behavior can damn the saved. The expression that used to be pretty common but it's vanished, I think on purpose, is justified sinners. The saved are justified sinners who can do anything, they can carpet bomb civilian populations whether they're Nazis or Americans. You know, you've done no harm according to Calvin. Calvin said the only way the elect, he called the saved, the elect will ever be safe because they are outnumbered so heavily, is to set up a system of universal compulsion schooling with the intention of destroying the imagination and filling the head with garbage. Spinoza said the same thing, Fichte said the same thing..."

This quote from "The Ultimate History Lesson" with John Taylor Gatto really grabbed my attention. Can anyone confirm if Calvin indeed said this?

Theological arguments begin to fall a bit flat if these are the fruits.

josemiguel

Sparrow
Orthodox
, as a Reformed person...
you are arguing against something we Reformed don't believe
What flavor of reformed are you? 4 point, 5 point, reformed Baptist or classic like presbytyrian? Which reformed confession do you submit to? I'm addressing Calvin's perspective from 500 years ago, not modern spinoffs.
You have some of the terms correct, but are off on the theology.
Calvin's theology is Absolutely Divinely Simple, very similar to Rome. I was discussing his Christology.
For example, to say we think faith is worthless... brother, Sola Fide is one of our top beliefs!
Word concept fallacy. Does Sola Fide that Pelagius talk about mean the same as Sola Fide of Luther or Calvin? Obviously not.

Do you consider the human activity of faith a causal salvific activity? If yes, you are an Arminian. The classical Reformed position is that the virtue of faith is itself worthless for salvation, solely God's will is the cause of Salvation, faith being a gift from God confirming this nominalist state.
We also affirm the Hypostatic Union
If you follow Calvin, you do not affirm the same Hypostqtic Union as we do, as your HU is monergistic. Or you disagree with Calvin and have constructed your own version of faith that has elements from Calvin.
at least get their position right.
If the OP states their position within the larger Reformed world, I'll gladly address it. In short:
Calvin's view of predestination is anathematized by the Orthodox Church because it is incompatible with our Christology and Theology. Likewise:
1 Calvin's soteriogy is nominalistic, nominalism is anathematized.
2 Calvin is monergistic, monergism is anathematized

When we say predestination, we don't mean the same concept as Calvin, just as hiw when Calvin says Sola Fide, I don't assume he means the same thing as Pelagius.