What is True Love?

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Honestly, this is so cliche, but my husband and I are best friends. I prefer his company over all others (rivaled only by my parents, but they are not considered friends, just great role models). We just don’t have much use for others, although we are very social if the situation calls for it.
We never understood that trope of married people who are supposed to hate each other. It just doesn’t apply. We take our own time as needed, but I’ve never felt the need for a gaggle of girlfriends. My husband is pretty much all companionship

MrFreezy

Sparrow
True love is self sacrifice. If your a wife you give birth and that ruins your body. If your a guy you work your butt off and that ruins your body. If you re a priest you sacrifice the time of your life. Dying on the cross is probably the biggest example of self sacrifice.

LightofApollo

Sparrow
Woman
True Love is service to Jesus Christ of Nazareth. If you're lucky, you are provided a partner that is oriented in the same direction and can join you in the adventure. Romantic love is a servant to Agape, which is True Love, the Universal Love. It is better to be a eunuch in service to True Love than it is to marry, according to Paul.
As for finding and maintaining a wife, find one at your church, and maintain one in keeping with the scriptures and our priestly exemplars.

Who gets priority in the sacrifice of true love?

Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

True Love is Agape. The Divine Love of God which must by necessity be combined with Erotic Love as celebrated and advocated in the Song of Solomon and (Proverbs 5:15-19) in the Marriage.

But Agape is supreme over all. As Christ is supreme over his Church.

LightofApollo

Sparrow
Woman
True Love is Agape. The Divine Love of God which must by necessity be combined with Erotic Love as celebrated and advocated in the Song of Solomon and (Proverbs 5:15-19) in the Marriage.

But Agape is supreme over all. As Christ is supreme over his Church.
It must not by necessity be combined, as it is transcendent and complete without erotic love, as per Paul in one of his letters. Quoting a kabbalist will only hurt your case in that department.

Agape is supreme over all. Erotic love is an imperfect, fractal resonation that joins in its deficient harmony with Agape.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Is love subjective or objective? If objective,
what biblical criteria do we measure the way in which we practice love?

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
True love is self sacrifice. If your a wife you give birth and that ruins your body. If your a guy you work your butt off and that ruins your body. If you re a priest you sacrifice the time of your life. Dying on the cross is probably the biggest example of self sacrifice.
Who gets the priority of love regarding loving our neighbours?

It must not by necessity be combined, as it is transcendent and complete without erotic love, as per Paul in one of his letters. Quoting a kabbalist will only hurt your case in that department.

Agape is supreme over all. Erotic love is an imperfect, fractal resonation that joins in its deficient harmony with Agape.

Well a marriage by necessity must include erotic love (1 Corinthians 7) to be an actual marriage. Else she/he is just your room-mate which is a different arrangement.

And the Song of Solomon is an actual book in the Bible likewise with Proverbs. If Erotic Love is imperfect and deficient in harmony in Agape even within the Sanctification of Wedlock.

That would be in effect accusing God of making Erotic Love as inherently deficient even when Agape is supreme. Agape would actually perfect Eroticism.

God originated Erotic Love for the same reason he originated Male and Female. As a symphony of Christ and His Bride the Church. Therefore it cannot be but perfected when under Agape.

One might as well disparage that symphony if one disparages eroticism in its proper place.

Your position in this regard is contrary to the Bible.

That position is fundamentally Gnostic/Manichean and has no place in Christianity.

Last edited:
Love that makes a relationship last with this — Consciously choosing selflessness, every day waking up and saying "Today, I will put my partner ahead of myself."

For the woman, that means trusting your husband and submitting to him.

For the man, it is to give oneself fully, to the point of death, to one's wife.

There is nothing more beautiful than this on this side of Heaven.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Love that makes a relationship last with this — Consciously choosing selflessness, every day waking up and saying "Today, I will put my partner ahead of myself."

For the woman, that means trusting your husband and submitting to him.

For the man, it is to give oneself fully, to the point of death, to one's wife.

There is nothing more beautiful than this on this side of Heaven.
I agree in the context if an equally yoked Christian marriage.
But should a Christian wife submit to a husband who is unable to love unselfishly, because he is not in Christ ie an unbeliever?
If not, should she even continue in that unequal marriage?

MrFreezy

Sparrow
Who gets the priority of love regarding loving our neighbours?
Yeah that's a tough one. I was born and lived most of my life in soviet style blocks in Europe. Really bad neighbors, alcoholics, drug addicts, people who committed suicide, later Muslim immigrants... None of them I loved I can tell you that. So for me love your neighbor means basically love you fellow Christian neighbor who is sympathetic towards you. I don't think that Jesus wanted me to put my young daughters in a situation where they can be physically or mentally harmed. We have our own place now and its much easier to get along and love your neighbor who is actually interested in taking care of his neighborhood and neighbors. So yeah, if you want to love your neighbor, don't rent, better own and even then you might run into problems.

"In an Eastern European town, I've heard of weddings that involved the bride and groom kissing a new Blessed Crucifix that they'll be hanging in their home... That's to remind them what they're in for." - The things celibate priests joke about.

You know it when you know it.

"Romantic" love is different from "Brotherly" love, which is different still from "Parental" love, which is even more different from the love of child towards their parent.

Someone I knew told me once: "My kids have to trust me 100%. I as a parent don't have to trust them at all, great that I can, but that's not how the universe works. If they ask for help, the matter is settled. They can rely on me until my last breath."

Another person told me once: "Children bury their parents. It should never be the other way around. It's very tough, maybe the toughest thing a person has to do, but there's a sense of this is the right order of things."

I think that in different times throughout people's lives, they will experience those different types of love.

While all those kinds of love are great, and I believe that the Beatific Vision is the perfection of Love, I believe what The Lord taught: "Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Yeah that's a tough one. I was born and lived most of my life in soviet style blocks in Europe. Really bad neighbors, alcoholics, drug addicts, people who committed suicide, later Muslim immigrants... None of them I loved I can tell you that. So for me love your neighbor means basically love you fellow Christian neighbor who is sympathetic towards you. I don't think that Jesus wanted me to put my young daughters in a situation where they can be physically or mentally harmed. We have our own place now and its much easier to get along and love your neighbor who is actually interested in taking care of his neighborhood and neighbors. So yeah, if you want to love your neighbor, don't rent, better own and even then you might run into problems.
Can anything good come out of Nazareth? Yet, there you were, in Christ. The light that shines in the darkness.
“And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.” John 1:46

From the latest movie series on the life of Christ, notice at 8 mins:

I agree in the context if an equally yoked Christian marriage.
But should a Christian wife submit to a husband who is unable to love unselfishly, because he is not in Christ ie an unbeliever?
If not, should she even continue in that unequal marriage?
Its not an ideal situation, but Paul is very clear that Christian women who converted after marrying an unbeliever should still submit to their husbands as long as this submission does not directly disobey the laws of the Lord. What the Lord has brought together, let not man separate.

If you married an unbeliever as a Christian, that's on you.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Its not an ideal situation, but Paul is very clear that Christian women who converted after marrying an unbeliever should still submit to their husbands as long as this submission does not directly disobey the laws of the Lord. What the Lord has brought together, let not man separate.

If you married an unbeliever as a Christian, that's on you.
What if whatever man has brought together, let God separate? Lots of Scripture supports this.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
"Love and understanding is what you get when a society becomes hopelessly feminised.
Women believe that problems can be fixed by love and understanding.
That’s why rational societies don’t let women run things.
They confine women to the domestic sphere, where love and understanding actually works."