What major corporate services are you still using and why?

What major corporate services are you still using?

• Amazon

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Netflix

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Google

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Microsoft/Apple

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Paypal

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Walmart/Target/Cosco

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Facebook/Twitter/Instagram

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Tell me, RVF members, what major corporate services have you gotten rid of? What are you struggling to dump and why? We have threads for alternative tech, so this is meant to be more to see what's the biggest offender and the reasons for it. Maybe that might help us identify more realistic solutions.

I only have a base MS account left for an email server and just haven't had time to cancel it yet. I'll be switching it over to Protonmail or Tutanota in the next few weeks though. Everything else we've cancelled.

Edit: Oh, and an Android phone. It pains me because I always have a brand-new model. I'm struggling to come to terms with a dumbphone or putting more money into another device.

Last edited:
In the past year I ditched: Amazon - I had gotten rid of netflex, cable, etc years ago. I still occasionally am 'forced' to use paypal for certain services...
Apple or MS remain because of some lingering apps needed. I have a linux system as well but there are just a few key areas where it doesn't have suitable apps.

Getting rid of Amazon was the big change for me and stopped the biggest flow of money to big tech/globalists - most people literally spend thousands of dollars on Amazon - probably close to 10k for most people I was about 3-4 k a year - I have reduced it to about 30 last month.

That said, I think we have to make to make do without - I was worried about ditching Amazon but I have found most of what I needed, the price is about the same or less - some items are more - but even more importantly - I buy less, less impulse buys and less time spent online 'shopping'.

Easy_C

Peacock
For one company I'm working with, only their G-mail hosted email address and office 365. Cell Phone will be migrated as soon as the contract ends. Everything else is either cancelled or not being renewed.

Rarely I'll check Facebook for events or to sell stuff on marketplace.

Valentine

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Edit: Oh, and an Android phone. It pains me because I always have a brand-new model. I'm struggling to come to terms with a dumbphone or putting more money into another device.

For Android you can just flash a non-Google OS like GrapheneOS or LineageOS, or get a Linux phone like Librem 5 or PinePhone.

Replaced Netflix recently with Jellyfin and torrenting. Still have a PayPal account that I use for some online purchases because it's more secure and private than giving out my own card details. I'd use privacy.com disposable virtual cards if I was based in the US, am looking for a European alternative. Still using Amazon also because it's faster than making accounts and shopping on 20 different sites, would like a fast-ish alternative for it.

epps_1920

Sparrow
The only ones I currently use are Costco and Walmart, though considering switching to Aldi and Menards (surprised to see they have groceries)

On the verge of deleting my LinkedIn account.

For Android you can just flash a non-Google OS like GrapheneOS or LineageOS, or get a Linux phone like Librem 5 or PinePhone.

Replaced Netflix recently with Jellyfin and torrenting. Still have a PayPal account that I use for some online purchases because it's more secure and private than giving out my own card details. I'd use privacy.com disposable virtual cards if I was based in the US, am looking for a European alternative. Still using Amazon also because it's faster than making accounts and shopping on 20 different sites, would like a fast-ish alternative for it.

I'm on a phone which isn't official supported by those two so I was worried about bricking the device or making important parts of it inoperable. I'm tech savvy but I'm not sure which route to take for that problem. Any advice?

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
  • Amazon: I buy something from here rarely, these days it's easy to buy from alternative sites instead.
  • Netflix: I have never paid for Netflix. A couple times a year I'll watch a movie on my parents' account, maybe.
  • Google: I still have a Gmail account, but that's it. I no longer use Chrome or their search engine.
  • Microsoft/Apple: I have an iPhone and Windows/Mac PCs. I don't subscribe to any of their services.
  • Paypal: I still use PayPal regularly for purchases, a habit I should probably drop.
  • Walmart/Target/Cosco: My wife shops at Costco but I rarely if ever go to the other stores.
  • Facebook/Twitter/Instagram: I have Facebook and Instagram accounts but rarely use them and don't post about anything controversial. I'm active on Twitter under this same alias.

Godward

Robin
I am currently still transitioning, so to say, as I identify as a Traditionalist, but am still using more Liberal corporate services than I actually want. Social media and the entertainment industry were by far the easiest to dump, and doing so greatly enriched my life. Dumping big (e-)commerce was well on its way, until the System decided to lock down so many small businesses, although it is still quite doable. But especially payment services and banks are hard to evade, in my experience. The same goes for Google/Microsoft/Apple when it comes to operating systems on my phone and computer. As soon as time allows, I will look into alternatives, though. And I am open for recommendations.

At any rate, I try to abide by these principles as far as I can: (1) not using corporate services if I really do not have to; (2) only paying for corporate services if I really have to; and (3) not paying for corporate services that I use if I have the opportunity not to do so (for example by torrenting films, which I do not consider illegal theft, but legitimate revindication from a thieving System).

Great topic, by the way.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
The sobering reality..... I checked every box but Walmart and thats only cause I am living in South America

However I do not pay for any subscriptions to those services.

While I am aware of them being evil.... its almost a necessary evil at this point to have limited participation

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member

With one of those alternative OSs is there some kind of app store where you can find Maps alternatives, translator etc? I imagine there have been hobbyists who've made some of the essentials, and that's most of what I would need. And what about things like WhatsApp? I don't use it much but it's kind of essential for me while traveling to communicate with friends and family

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
The only one I really use is AT&T.
All ISPs spy.
AT&T is one of the worst culprits.
But what can you do?
I do only pay them a VERY VERY VERY small amount monthly as I qualified for a low income plan once and they never asked me to re-verify it.

I also have a gmail. I don't give them any money but I guess they make money tracking me with that. I do block most of their ads though with a raspberry pihole and opentomato router ad blocking. Don't really use any of the other companies, though I do order from amazon no more than once a year. For some things it is almost unavoidable.

Microsoft/Apple? I own several Steve Jobs era apple devices. I don't consider them evil enough to give up entirely. I'm not yet willing to go full Uncle Ted, no matter how much I believe he was right. I guess I have to mark Apple on the survey? It's pretty hard to completely give up Windows AND Apple. Even if I switched to Linux I would need a mac or PC for some things.

@Cortés try alternativeto.net for a start

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
For Android you can just flash a non-Google OS like GrapheneOS or LineageOS.

Have you tried installing it on a non-supported phone?

On the verge of deleting my LinkedIn account.

Horrendous for selling your data. And even worse security. I have three versions of their DB.

For business, I am forced to use Google and Facebook to advertise and generate revenue. No way around it unfortunately.

0.5% of mu business revenue is from Brave Publisher program now. I think that will be at least 5% by 2025 if we've not be gulag'd.

For personal I am just on PayPal. I have quite a bit of money in it, so will spend it and then dump it. *

I found in 2018 just how terrible their resolution system is. Bought a grossly misadvertised item for around $2,000. Absolutely nothing from them for their 3.5% cut, or whatever it is. You are better off using a card, at least in The UK. I was able to get them to do a chargeback on another abysmal globo-corp, AirBnB, after being put in the wrong apartment in a transvestite ghetto in Turkestan. The worst support I have dealt with outside of India and the last time using them.

I also use Google AdSense for work, owing to there being no alternative at the moment.

* But I also use PayPal as a payment gateway. Any recommended alternatives?

Alternative to corporate products thread : https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/alternatives-to-corporate-products.39666/

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
With one of those alternative OSs is there some kind of app store where you can find Maps alternatives, translator etc? I imagine there have been hobbyists who've made some of the essentials, and that's most of what I would need. And what about things like WhatsApp? I don't use it much but it's kind of essential for me while traveling to communicate with friends and family

On clean OSs there may be two store: F-driod, which has software that has been vetted as clean or relatively clean (it does still include some with features you may find questionable) and Aurora Store, which has everything (I believe) that is in Google Play, but about 40% won't work.

If you feel you are highly dependent on the globohomo-sphere you could look at getting an /e/ phone (thread about it on here somewhere), which I believe is a bit of a halfway house between Android and Graphene.

For maps I am happy using the OpenstreetMap app. If I need to find a shop I use Google Maps via DuckDuckGo browser, which scrubs everything on closure.

Getting off Android has been the best XP of all for me. It has cut down phone use. I now have little on it. You probably don't really need that much on there. I now use websites as much as possible rather than apps, as apps can be much more powerful spyware.

For WhatsApp, I have it running in a virtual machine and almost never use it. I will use text over it. You could also set it up via the web interface of DuckDuckGo browser and set the domain to be fireproofed (which will keep you looged in). But you'd need a device constantly online with the actual app somewhere. Looks like someone might have a plugin for Pidgin for it - https://github.com/hoehermann/purple-gowhatsapp

I think a lot of clean OS users have a second phone with thrash apps on them.

Valentine

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I'm on a phone which isn't official supported by those two so I was worried about bricking the device or making important parts of it inoperable. I'm tech savvy but I'm not sure which route to take for that problem. Any advice?

I'd buy an older Pixel, maybe used even and install GrapheneOS on it (check the site for compatibility). Your existing phone could maybe be rooted to degoogle it but it's a security vulnerability and just isn't as good as the aforementioned alternatives.

If you really need basic Google Mobile Services functionality (for Firebase push notifications for example) then a ROM with microG preinstalled such as CalyxOS is a better option than most phones.

As has been already mentioned, F-Droid for open-source apps and Aurora Store for Google Play Store apps. For WhatsApp if you deny all the permissions and run it in a Work profile (use the Shelter F-Droid app) then it's mostly private (also give it minimal permissions and use a VPN). The main remaining leak is that it forces you to give them the Storage permission just to see received images and video.

However this year they're being forced to allow full functionality without this permission, which I believe affects all updating GPS apps from November. But you should wean yourself off GPS apps anyway since Google will be able to compromise all new Android apps from August.

Have you tried installing it on a non-supported phone?

Yeah I wouldn't advise that. Easy and cheap to just get an older one that is compatible.

Last edited:

epps_1920

Sparrow
Anybody got any suggestions about finding alternatives to clothing stores that aren't globohomo? I bought my last shirts from Banana Republic and seems like they market heavily to gay men from the styles of clothes.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Anybody got any suggestions about finding alternatives to clothing stores that aren't globohomo? I bought my last shirts from Banana Republic and seems like they market heavily to gay men from the styles of clothes.
Not in person but https://www.allamericanclothing.com/ - actually looks American. Based in Ohio and Kentucky.

Carhartt is family owned, 4 factories in the US and 4 in Mexico from what I see. I know a few other clothing sites but they seem more tailored to urban hipster customers.

I've been buying from Kohls, which I thought seemed less pozzed. I opened up their page just now...huge gay pride message. :(

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
The other clothing option is thrift stores. Some big ones out there. Just saw a Salvation Army with an unbelievable amount of clothing. Some of my favorite clothes are from thrift stores, and one of my favorite flannels I got from a grocery store for 8 dollars.