What major corporate services are you still using and why?

What major corporate services are you still using?

• Amazon

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Netflix

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Google

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Microsoft/Apple

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Paypal

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Walmart/Target/Cosco

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Facebook/Twitter/Instagram

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Grow Bag

Kingfisher
Deleted my Amazon account last year and have been using Ebay for stuff. This month Ebay UK went from using Paypal as an intermediary for sellers, to new rules that require you to give Ebay your bank details and being debited and credited directly. Maybe it's nothing, but I view any big changes as not being in my interests. I'll still buy on Ebay, but I'll no longer sell. It's just in my head that I'll get hit by Her Majesties Customs and Revenue at some point.
I still have a Google account, but never use Gmail or most of their other apps. The fact is that any e-dossier Google has on me is already damning, whether I delete now or never.

DanielH

Pelican
Deleted my Amazon account last year and have been using Ebay for stuff. This month Ebay UK went from using Paypal as an intermediary for sellers, to new rules that require you to give Ebay your bank details and being debited and credited directly. Maybe it's nothing, but I view any big changes as not being in my interests. I'll still buy on Ebay, but I'll no longer sell. It's just in my head that I'll get hit by Her Majesties Customs and Revenue at some point.
I still have a Google account, but never use Gmail or most of their other apps. The fact is that any e-dossier Google has on me is already damning, whether I delete now or never.
You could always fake out the system by doing random searches and clicking on links for leftist causes. I got Amazon to recommend me nothing besides striped shirts (something I did when I decided to stop using it). Their algorithms aren't built with people intentionally manipulating it in mind

kel

Ostrich
I avoid Amazon as much as possible and buy from elsewhere, starting with the producers site (sometimes they sell direct, sometimes not) then moving to smaller stores. Sometimes there are things that are only on Amazon, though. I mostly get around all this by just not buying much. My work also uses Amazon Web Services, so I "use Amazon" like that.

Work also uses gmail as their email server, like lots of companies. I have a personal gmail, too. To be honest I don't use email much anymore at all (which is its own problem, email is the last open standard really) so I haven't been motivated to switch off, but I do rotate my accounts every few years, I will move on to proton mail or start using my own hosting next (use it currently for junk mail addresses).

Still have a derelict facebook, haven't used it in years and years. I've been meaning to go through and slowly untag myself from friends photos from years ago and put up photos of someone else, gradually sow disinformation there.

Valentine

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Go through their Privacy Checkup page and disable/delete everything, then check the Data and Personalisation page for anything that might be left out, and then download your remaining data. I'm not sure if it's different for non-EU users but to give credit Google actually adheres to the GDPR well in letting you access and export your data. However you'll likely note that much of the data you can access about yourself you aren't able to ask to be removed, so it's still worth deleting Google accounts when you're done with them.

Still have a derelict facebook, haven't used it in years and years. I've been meaning to go through and slowly untag myself from friends photos from years ago and put up photos of someone else, gradually sow disinformation there.

Which reminds me, I found this excellent Redact tool recently which works superbly for automatically deleting old posts on Facebook, Twitter, Discord, Instagram, etc. It's closed-source but it's a desktop app, plus it's more reliable and easier to use than the various aged GitHub scripts for deleting content.