What makes certain people become red-pilled?

Do you think that people who are red-pilled are thicker skinned that others?
Not really. Often people enter the red-pill with very thin skin. Then they go through a lot of stages. Maybe at the end they go down the stoic road, start lifting, do martial art, read self improvement books, approach women and get rejected etc and then they build up thicker skin, meanwhile their old bluepill version of themselves never did any of these things and never had any thick skin.

Some men never need to take the redpill because they had thicker skin from the start. They had a good relationship with their father, their mother knew how to cut the chord, early success with women, first girlfriend didn’t have any dark triad traits etc. They get on with life just fine without taking any pills.

Vigilant

Woodpecker
Woman
I think those whom are red-pilled have both thin and thick sin.
Thin skin being epistemologically self-conscious, and thick skin for resolute convictions.

Genevieve

Chicken
Woman
Just to re-answer the original question again, because it can't be said enough: "A love for the truth."

Reminded me of this quote: "Why is the truth, it would seem, revealed to some and not to others? Is there a special organ for receiving revelation from God? Yes, though usually we close it and do not let it open up: God’s revelation is given to something called a loving heart." -Father Seraphim Rose

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Growing up my one Aunt was very religious and now that I look back she was (still is) red-pilled. Don't want to go into specifics of how she became red-pilled. But it was various painful experiences and a search for the truth. So anyways, she seemed like a conspiracy theorist to everyone in our family when I was growing up because she saw past all the tricks and evil in the world. I remember laughing when she said cell phones cause cancer, the internet is evil, pointed out all the poisons in our food, said the government is listening to us, etc. This was early 2000s. Of course she was right about everything to a degree. I wish I knew where she got her info back in the day. Like who clued her into the specifics like msg and gmo foods

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
As others have said, having a discerning mind helps. Experience and observation certainly hasten the discerning process. Upbringing plays a role, probably, but I've seen red and blue pilled siblings who were basically raised the same way, so who knows on that one. I think it boils down to whether or not one is comfortable with lying to one's self.

I, for one, want the truth and do not like being deceived, by me or anyone else.

I’ve been ruminating on this question since this thread was started, and I think I agree the most with this. This is exactly how I am. In fact, many times I’ve wished for the ability to deny and lie to myself. Somehow it seems like a less frustrating existence. I’m very good at deluding myself, but I always know I’m doing it it. I can’t maintain a delusion.

Blade Runner

Pelican
Growing up my one Aunt was very religious and now that I look back she was (still is) red-pilled. Don't want to go into specifics of how she became red-pilled. But it was various painful experiences and a search for the truth. So anyways, she seemed like a conspiracy theorist to everyone in our family when I was growing up because she saw past all the tricks and evil in the world. I remember laughing when she said cell phones cause cancer, the internet is evil, pointed out all the poisons in our food, said the government is listening to us, etc. This was early 2000s. Of course she was right about everything to a degree. I wish I knew where she got her info back in the day. Like who clued her into the specifics like msg and gmo foods
Sounds more like sorta right, but mostly paranoid.

The_Trigg

Robin
What is everyone's hypothesis? My money is on raw intelligence. I think there is a certain level of intelligence that simply sees through the crap. Evidence that backs up my theory is the fact that virtually 100% of participants on right-wing forums and social media have good to excellent writing skills and an obvious ability to think critically.

Any other theories? Could it be upbringing/education; life experience; religious beliefs, etc.?
A red-pilled person is someone who wants to understand how things work, and why things are the way they are. A strong interest in understanding the World around them. Also, an ability to not automatically yield to social pressures, or emotional appeals. Also discernment in understanding that there is a time to do so, and a time not to.

Thanks for a good laugh-the way you build up the story and bam, start to quote how you talked. I can hardly imagine a five years old talking like this, it's hard to believe. Your father talking to you as if you were his intellectual equal.

I don't mean to mock here, I'm sorry for your case though, if true.

When I was 24 years old and in the worst economy in recent US history I had a job [yay me, right?] which I actually quit on five minutes notice without anything else lined up. A baseless and absurd accusation was leveled against me, it was wholly lacking in evidence and lacking in merit, and it was a challenge against my integrity. I had reached a moment of decision where I could continue working somewhere knowing I had been spoken to and treated a certain way, and effectively challenged for an alleged lack of integrity and sincerity, or I could leave, without another job lined up and in the middle of a horrible economy. It took me about 90 seconds to decide to set my employee ID down on a desk and proclaim, “I am done, I am leaving” to which a supervisor said, “you’re leaving early today?” at which time I clarified, “no, I’m done, I quit” and then I simply walked out, went to the parking lot, got in my car, and drove away, right in the middle of the work day.

I won’t be somewhere my integrity is questioned and if it is questioned then my absence should be perceived as no great loss.

We all view information through the lens of our worldview which is shaped by our experiences. I was never a PUA or into game so 10 years ago if I read on some site some young man claiming he had bedded one-hundred 9s and 10s in a 2 year period using “game” I would have generally been skeptical, because it wasn’t my life experience, it wasn’t how I was living, and I couldn’t relate to it. Human nature shows us that we have trouble relating to things outside of our understanding which is usually based on our experiences or observations. I believe most of the men on this forum and probably former PUA game expert guru types. I never had game, I was never a PUA, I was never into that lifestyle. But, if I had said, “I used to be a PUA and had awesome day game and street game and I was picking up easy lays in the streets all over Eastern Europe, Central and South America in my 20s and early 30s” people would probably not shout “troll! troll!” because their personal experiences would allow them to digest that information.

But to say, “I never had game, I had an intellect and life goals, I poured myself into my studies and I had a natural raw intelligence that was essentially unmatched and I was generally the smartest or at least most dedicated and persistent student in every class I was ever enrolled in, I was a genius and knew all along I was a genius” a lot of people cannot relate to that, because most PUA game gurus do not have a measured IQ that is more than 3 standard deviations above average if for no other reason than the simple fact most human beings do not have one. From a very young age I had an intellectual curiosity and intuitive understanding of a variety of concepts and a multitude of concepts that earned me the ire of my peers. Because of my mother’s antics around town and in and around the school when she came to the school I was relentlessly mocked and ridiculed by my peers about issues with my mother from age 8-11/12 until she moved away and we all began to become of middle school age. Most kids have short memories and even shorter attention spans, remembering to continue mocking me for things that amused them when we were all 8 or 10 fell by the wayside and became a distinctly non-priority compared with their newly found interest in being cool. Also, my mastery of language, linguistic precision, and quick-wit, and ability to rapidly throw out amusing one-liners, along with my ridiculous pranks, proved quite amusing fodder for my classmates and I was finally fairly well-liked by about half of my peers by age 14-16. It also never hurt that instead of being a somewhat snotty child reveling in my own intellectual superiority and verbally slapping down anybody who had a question that betrayed a lack of mastery of fundamental concepts, I began to share information and meaningfully assist others when they asked for assistance.

When a child psychologist ran me through a series of tests around age 9 and then gave my father the report, including the results of my Weschler IQ test, and my father decided to inform me what my measured IQ was and he later proclaimed he had made a mistake in conveying that information to me, because, as he would explain, “it did nothing to help your humility and it sort of boosted your ego to absurd levels.” I would remind him, “well when I was about 11 you told me I was smarter than you and that I had far more intellectual ability than you and would one day exceed you in accomplishments once I gained experience and insight. You can’t tell a child he is smarter than you and expect it won’t go to his head and take his ego into the stratosphere.” You cannot tell a child he is in the 99.957 percentile for intelligence and not have it cause an ego inflation.

If only the sordid tale of what I consider a “non-childhood childhood” were a trolling joke of made-up manure instead of a horrific reality that I had to live through and that I occasionally relive every 4-5 years when memories bubble up to the surface. There are certain mental images and certain words that a man can never forget and that his memory can call up and confront with him, as crisp and fresh as though it were just now happening for the first time or had happened seconds ago. Your mother probably never told you when you were a child of about 8 years of age that she wished she had aborted you, so you cannot relate to that and assume it would have to be trolling. But when you actually experience being on the receiving end of such a statement, the words can echo in your mind 15, 20, 25 years later, as though they have just been spoken. A woman very dear to me once asked me what my childhood was like and I said, “in all honesty I never really had one, what you would relate as a childhood, I didn’t get one, I had years of agony, misery, pain, suffering, drama, turmoil, from age 8 to about age 12 I was often very sick and had full-blown ulcers from crippling anxiety and stress. All I had was an intellect, a sharp mind, and boundless ambition with a hopeful yet firm belief that the future would somehow be better than both the past and present.”

In my local area I read about a case where a woman pimped her toddler to a pedophile for about $200 worth of heroin. I would generally not have believed such a thing possible were I not privy to the details of the case and had I not read about the charges. Even then, it was hard to fathom, but then I read about a dozen similar cases across the country, and it ultimately fits with my low view of what debased humanity is capable of in its fallen state. As terrifyingly horrible as my childhood was, I cannot personally relate to a situation involving a child being pimped for drugs or drug money, because even that sort of abuse is magnitudes of degrees beyond anything I can speak of from my own experience.

I have occasionally had variations of “you’re fairly stuck up and act like the smartest guy in the room” and all I can say is some combination of “well I pretty much am the smartest guy in the room, but I’m not trying to act anything, I’m just me.” In my life, that sort of intellectual confidence combined with pride over hard-won accomplishments and achievements that I nearly burnt myself out to attain, has a tendency to venture into outright hubris and it is probably my main personal flaw or failing, a sense of overwhelming hubris that often reeks of arrogance or a haughty cockiness.

Suffice to say, a moderator sanctioned me for the post and said it was trolling. I did not receive a response or acknowledgement when I articulated that it was not trolling but rather was sincere and true. I was not dignified with the response a man should be due and not given the opportunity to have a conversation on it. Imagine being accused of sexual harassment and the first indication you get that there was ever a problem is when you’re called into the university office or the HR office at the company and are told you’ve been suspended or expelled and the official doesn’t even want to have a conversation on the matter. “You did something unacceptable.” “In what sense? To what specifically do you refer and in what manner was it unacceptable?” “We’re not going to discuss that… You’ve been told generally, that is enough.”

In light of that, in light of who I am as a man, and how I live my life and conduct myself, I see little alternative except to leave. I will not create content and post content somewhere where said content is prone to being flagged as trolling and I am accused of being insincere and disingenuous. If my integrity is so low that I would post trollish content then my departure is not only not a detriment but an asset and a gain.

I once had a professor accuse me of plagiarism, I told him, “I know you have software where you can run my paper through a program and it will tell you if any sentence or group of words is from another source. So then tell me, whom have I plagiarized and in what context?” He said, “Well none of your writing was flagged by the problem… But you don’t cite any sources and your use of language is far too rich for a mere student, students don’t write in this manner.” I replied, “I already have a bachelor of science so I’m not a mere typical student fresh from high school and the paper is an opinion paper analyzing a historical event. I don’t think I need to cite sources for my own opinion and my own perspective on the historical event. It would be a bit arrogant to cite myself in the citations and even my arrogance doesn’t rise to the level where I am going to cite myself.” He said, “you could at least cite the date the event happened” and I said, “the date of that national disaster is within the common body of human knowledge as a memory of American adults and people comparable to myself in age. Would you require me to cite a source that the Attack on Pearl Harbor occurred on December 7, 1941 or would you just accept it as an agreed upon fact that requires no specific citation to some academically recognized authority or source.” He then said, “well I have no way to know or verify that you already have a bachelor of science.” I said, “I can bring my degree in and let you see it” to which he said, “I don’t need to see it, but I have no way to know you really have it…” The next class I brought my degree and transcripts in, he stopped short of examining the transcripts, was content to see the degree, and wanted to drop the matter. He did not apologize. Suffice to say, he and I had a very rocky relationship after that, because he made a baseless accusation against me that was based on conjecture and speculation, “students don’t write this way.” I suppose they generally don’t, but most of his students were recent high school graduates in their first or second year of undergraduate university at 18-19 and there I was at 25 years old and I already had a bachelor of science degree and I was pursuing a second undergraduate degree.

I don’t mind being questioned if somebody thinks something I have said or done is fishy, off, or seems implausible, but I will not passively accept unsubstantiated accusations or shots in the dark. If my hands are covered in red paint and red painted slogans have been sprayed on your wall, then by all means, accuse me. If I turn in a paper that a professor thinks is “written too well to be the work of a student” I don’t mind being questioned but if you’re going to outright accuse me of plagiarism, I would suggest having at least a small shred of evidence before you level the accusation.

It will ultimately be up to the individual reader to examine my posts in the aggregate and come to their own decision as to whether or not I was genuine, was here for proper reasons, and had something worthwhile to contribute while learning and gaining myself. It no longer involves nor concerns me. I do not spend my time with people who think I am a liar or who doubt whether I am genuine and sincere, it is neither logical nor productive.

Vigilant

Woodpecker
Woman
When I was 24 years old and in the worst economy in recent US history I had a job [yay me, right?] which I actually quit on five minutes notice without anything else lined up. A baseless and absurd accusation was leveled against me, it was wholly lacking in evidence and lacking in merit, and it was a challenge against my integrity. I had reached a moment of decision where I could continue working somewhere knowing I had been spoken to and treated a certain way, and effectively challenged for an alleged lack of integrity and sincerity, or I could leave, without another job lined up and in the middle of a horrible economy. It took me about 90 seconds to decide to set my employee ID down on a desk and proclaim, “I am done, I am leaving” to which a supervisor said, “you’re leaving early today?” at which time I clarified, “no, I’m done, I quit” and then I simply walked out, went to the parking lot, got in my car, and drove away, right in the middle of the work day.

I won’t be somewhere my integrity is questioned and if it is questioned then my absence should be perceived as no great loss.

We all view information through the lens of our worldview which is shaped by our experiences. I was never a PUA or into game so 10 years ago if I read on some site some young man claiming he had bedded one-hundred 9s and 10s in a 2 year period using “game” I would have generally been skeptical, because it wasn’t my life experience, it wasn’t how I was living, and I couldn’t relate to it. Human nature shows us that we have trouble relating to things outside of our understanding which is usually based on our experiences or observations. I believe most of the men on this forum and probably former PUA game expert guru types. I never had game, I was never a PUA, I was never into that lifestyle. But, if I had said, “I used to be a PUA and had awesome day game and street game and I was picking up easy lays in the streets all over Eastern Europe, Central and South America in my 20s and early 30s” people would probably not shout “troll! troll!” because their personal experiences would allow them to digest that information.

But to say, “I never had game, I had an intellect and life goals, I poured myself into my studies and I had a natural raw intelligence that was essentially unmatched and I was generally the smartest or at least most dedicated and persistent student in every class I was ever enrolled in, I was a genius and knew all along I was a genius” a lot of people cannot relate to that, because most PUA game gurus do not have a measured IQ that is more than 3 standard deviations above average if for no other reason than the simple fact most human beings do not have one. From a very young age I had an intellectual curiosity and intuitive understanding of a variety of concepts and a multitude of concepts that earned me the ire of my peers. Because of my mother’s antics around town and in and around the school when she came to the school I was relentlessly mocked and ridiculed by my peers about issues with my mother from age 8-11/12 until she moved away and we all began to become of middle school age. Most kids have short memories and even shorter attention spans, remembering to continue mocking me for things that amused them when we were all 8 or 10 fell by the wayside and became a distinctly non-priority compared with their newly found interest in being cool. Also, my mastery of language, linguistic precision, and quick-wit, and ability to rapidly throw out amusing one-liners, along with my ridiculous pranks, proved quite amusing fodder for my classmates and I was finally fairly well-liked by about half of my peers by age 14-16. It also never hurt that instead of being a somewhat snotty child reveling in my own intellectual superiority and verbally slapping down anybody who had a question that betrayed a lack of mastery of fundamental concepts, I began to share information and meaningfully assist others when they asked for assistance.

When a child psychologist ran me through a series of tests around age 9 and then gave my father the report, including the results of my Weschler IQ test, and my father decided to inform me what my measured IQ was and he later proclaimed he had made a mistake in conveying that information to me, because, as he would explain, “it did nothing to help your humility and it sort of boosted your ego to absurd levels.” I would remind him, “well when I was about 11 you told me I was smarter than you and that I had far more intellectual ability than you and would one day exceed you in accomplishments once I gained experience and insight. You can’t tell a child he is smarter than you and expect it won’t go to his head and take his ego into the stratosphere.” You cannot tell a child he is in the 99.957 percentile for intelligence and not have it cause an ego inflation.

If only the sordid tale of what I consider a “non-childhood childhood” were a trolling joke of made-up manure instead of a horrific reality that I had to live through and that I occasionally relive every 4-5 years when memories bubble up to the surface. There are certain mental images and certain words that a man can never forget and that his memory can call up and confront with him, as crisp and fresh as though it were just now happening for the first time or had happened seconds ago. Your mother probably never told you when you were a child of about 8 years of age that she wished she had aborted you, so you cannot relate to that and assume it would have to be trolling. But when you actually experience being on the receiving end of such a statement, the words can echo in your mind 15, 20, 25 years later, as though they have just been spoken. A woman very dear to me once asked me what my childhood was like and I said, “in all honesty I never really had one, what you would relate as a childhood, I didn’t get one, I had years of agony, misery, pain, suffering, drama, turmoil, from age 8 to about age 12 I was often very sick and had full-blown ulcers from crippling anxiety and stress. All I had was an intellect, a sharp mind, and boundless ambition with a hopeful yet firm belief that the future would somehow be better than both the past and present.”

In my local area I read about a case where a woman pimped her toddler to a pedophile for about $200 worth of heroin. I would generally not have believed such a thing possible were I not privy to the details of the case and had I not read about the charges. Even then, it was hard to fathom, but then I read about a dozen similar cases across the country, and it ultimately fits with my low view of what debased humanity is capable of in its fallen state. As terrifyingly horrible as my childhood was, I cannot personally relate to a situation involving a child being pimped for drugs or drug money, because even that sort of abuse is magnitudes of degrees beyond anything I can speak of from my own experience.

I have occasionally had variations of “you’re fairly stuck up and act like the smartest guy in the room” and all I can say is some combination of “well I pretty much am the smartest guy in the room, but I’m not trying to act anything, I’m just me.” In my life, that sort of intellectual confidence combined with pride over hard-won accomplishments and achievements that I nearly burnt myself out to attain, has a tendency to venture into outright hubris and it is probably my main personal flaw or failing, a sense of overwhelming hubris that often reeks of arrogance or a haughty cockiness.

Suffice to say, a moderator sanctioned me for the post and said it was trolling. I did not receive a response or acknowledgement when I articulated that it was not trolling but rather was sincere and true. I was not dignified with the response a man should be due and not given the opportunity to have a conversation on it. Imagine being accused of sexual harassment and the first indication you get that there was ever a problem is when you’re called into the university office or the HR office at the company and are told you’ve been suspended or expelled and the official doesn’t even want to have a conversation on the matter. “You did something unacceptable.” “In what sense? To what specifically do you refer and in what manner was it unacceptable?” “We’re not going to discuss that… You’ve been told generally, that is enough.”

In light of that, in light of who I am as a man, and how I live my life and conduct myself, I see little alternative except to leave. I will not create content and post content somewhere where said content is prone to being flagged as trolling and I am accused of being insincere and disingenuous. If my integrity is so low that I would post trollish content then my departure is not only not a detriment but an asset and a gain.

I once had a professor accuse me of plagiarism, I told him, “I know you have software where you can run my paper through a program and it will tell you if any sentence or group of words is from another source. So then tell me, whom have I plagiarized and in what context?” He said, “Well none of your writing was flagged by the problem… But you don’t cite any sources and your use of language is far too rich for a mere student, students don’t write in this manner.” I replied, “I already have a bachelor of science so I’m not a mere typical student fresh from high school and the paper is an opinion paper analyzing a historical event. I don’t think I need to cite sources for my own opinion and my own perspective on the historical event. It would be a bit arrogant to cite myself in the citations and even my arrogance doesn’t rise to the level where I am going to cite myself.” He said, “you could at least cite the date the event happened” and I said, “the date of that national disaster is within the common body of human knowledge as a memory of American adults and people comparable to myself in age. Would you require me to cite a source that the Attack on Pearl Harbor occurred on December 7, 1941 or would you just accept it as an agreed upon fact that requires no specific citation to some academically recognized authority or source.” He then said, “well I have no way to know or verify that you already have a bachelor of science.” I said, “I can bring my degree in and let you see it” to which he said, “I don’t need to see it, but I have no way to know you really have it…” The next class I brought my degree and transcripts in, he stopped short of examining the transcripts, was content to see the degree, and wanted to drop the matter. He did not apologize. Suffice to say, he and I had a very rocky relationship after that, because he made a baseless accusation against me that was based on conjecture and speculation, “students don’t write this way.” I suppose they generally don’t, but most of his students were recent high school graduates in their first or second year of undergraduate university at 18-19 and there I was at 25 years old and I already had a bachelor of science degree and I was pursuing a second undergraduate degree.

I don’t mind being questioned if somebody thinks something I have said or done is fishy, off, or seems implausible, but I will not passively accept unsubstantiated accusations or shots in the dark. If my hands are covered in red paint and red painted slogans have been sprayed on your wall, then by all means, accuse me. If I turn in a paper that a professor thinks is “written too well to be the work of a student” I don’t mind being questioned but if you’re going to outright accuse me of plagiarism, I would suggest having at least a small shred of evidence before you level the accusation.

It will ultimately be up to the individual reader to examine my posts in the aggregate and come to their own decision as to whether or not I was genuine, was here for proper reasons, and had something worthwhile to contribute while learning and gaining myself. It no longer involves nor concerns me. I do not spend my time with people who think I am a liar or who doubt whether I am genuine and sincere, it is neither logical nor productive.
Of the posts I've read of yours, I've found them enjoyable and fascinating reading.