What should I do with my life/country to go as a young person?

What should I do?

• Total voters
Important information cliffs:

-NZ citizen
-Early 20s
-Working holiday in Hungary, currently staying here in Budapest
-Best qualification/skill is TEFL/teaching English, otherwise no "official" skills
-No bacherlor's degree
-Lowish savings(2-3 months to live off without work)
-Hard to find work here and low pay unless I teach English
-End goal is to try to move to/live/work in Warsaw

For the past month I've been trying to find work at language schools here in Budapest to no avail. The wages here are ridiculously low and I'd be working full time for no savings at a typical entry level job which I can't reliably get because I don't speak Hungarian. I've emailed about 40 language schools and had trials with 5 and generally the consensus was they liked my teaching but weren't willing to bother training me/were waiting for clients who didn't mind inexperience if they had a native teacher.

I've got relatively low cost accommodation but right now I'm still burning through my savings. I think Budapest is good but not good enough for it to be struggling through this terrible economy.

For me I think it's out of the question to go back to New Zealand.

Options:

-Stay in Budapest and hope/grind/work my ass off with not much to show for it

Pros:
The default option and if I get work it's a good one
No paying for flights
Budapest is nice
Cons:
Very low wages for almost no reason unless I teach English in a school or get online teaching
Struggles with language barrier

-Fly to Australia where some of my family is

Pros:
I get to live with them for a bit for support(but they said not to stay for more than 2 weeks)
Australian high wages
Do not need a visa to live and work there for any period of time
Cons:
Will have no friends the entire time
Will have to deal with retarded people the entire time
Flights seem expensive and jet lag

-Fly to Vietnam and teach English, have a couple friends/acquaintances there

Pros:
Very high wages while I get experience
Very low cost of living
From what I hear, fun/interesting and easy to get girls
Cons:
I don't know what I'm getting into so there's risks
Vietnam seems very foreign to me and possibly overwhelming
Flights seem moderately expensive and jet lag

-Fly/bus/train to the UK (some very weak acquaintances)

Pros:
At least I will find some entry level job because I know English
Close to Europe/Poland where I ultimately want to be
Not Hungary level wages
Cons:
People are almost as retarded as Australia
No family safety net like I'd have in Australia
Maybe difficulty getting a work visa

-Somehow get a work visa to Poland

Pros:
If successful, it is what I will definitely do
Higher wages than Hungary
Have a lot of friends there who will support me
Am learning the language
Cons:
I don't know how to get a work visa exactly
I don't have a job offer for certain

Warsaw is just another globohomo city at this point.

What do you want to do there? Live in a commie prefab building or a rootless globalist box while sending a kid to globohomo school?

Living and working abroad without a degree is tough. Get one in a cheap country asap.

If you want anything more than a hand-to-mouth existence, go home (or Australia) and gain an actual skill or a degree.

It boggles my mind that people willingly choose to be poor and unskilled when they have the option & resources not to.

SomeOneSomeWhere said:
Warsaw is just another globohomo city at this point.

What do you want to do there? Live in a commie prefab building or a rootless globalist box while sending a kid to globohomo school?
More or less yes. Unless you have better ideas?

GyopoPlayboy said:
If you want anything more than a hand-to-mouth existence, go home (or Australia) and gain an actual skill or a degree.

It boggles my mind that people willingly choose to be poor and unskilled when they have the option & resources not to.
I don't plan/choose to be poor in the future.

But I've never been told what would happen in detail(step by step/year by year) if I choose which option in life. I have only been told vague generalities and/or platitudes. I have no preference in university subjects, only that working sounds better.

The Catalyst said:
GyopoPlayboy said:

But I've never been told what would happen in detail(step by step/year by year) if I choose which option in life. I have only been told vague generalities and/or platitudes. I have no preference in university subjects, only that working sounds better.
Nobody PLANS to be poor, silly.

But if ever anyone did come up with a plan for it, it would look very similar to how you're doing it.

You only get vague generalities or platitudes because nobody knows you better than you. You need to figure things out. Some saying about a horse and water come to mind...

Here are examples of concrete plans:

"I enjoy working with my hands, outdoors. I will go back to NZ/AUS and enroll in some kind of apprenticeship program that will train me."

"I want to teach English abroad. But the good jobs require a BA degree. So I will go back to NZ/AUS and try to find the cheapest possible way to get a BA so that I am more marketable."

"I want to live and work in Hungary. So I will research jobs that are highly in demand/facing an internal shortage that pay well and figure out how to go about getting those jobs."

You have no college degree (mostly used for signaling purposes to employers) nor any real marketable skills. But you're 20, so you have youth on your side.

It's just that the track you're on now is leading to you waking up at 30 with no college degree or marketable skills. That's going to suck. A lot.

Thriller

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Go to Vietnam if you want a better "salary vs living costs" situation as an English Teacher.

Go to Aus if you want to be an employee, or if you generally want to have a good quality of life with the minimum amount of effort, so-to-speak.

Go wherever you want on this planet if you can become location independent with your income.

Thriller

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Also, in my opinion, Budapest > Warsaw... The grass is not greener in Warsaw, it has many of the globohomo problems that can be found in NZ for example :) Good luck

Thriller said:
Also, in my opinion, Budapest > Warsaw... The grass is not greener in Warsaw, it has many of the globohomo problems that can be found in NZ for example :) Good luck
The thing with Warsaw is I have a lot of friends there, I'm learning Polish, work is easier to find, pays more etc. And Polish people are very similar to me cuturally save the language barrier. I don't like the globohomo in Warsaw but that wasn't the #1 reason I left NZ(which was that I didn't have friends and people had psych issues). If I could've at the time, I would've left to the US.

Thriller said:
Go wherever you want on this planet if you can become location independent with your income.
I might need to figure out a way to do this, quickly, if I can't find work here.

Ignoring the bachelor's degree/income stuff, Poland would be my choice if I'm already learning some Polish (as someone currently living in Ukraine/Belarus/Russia).

Iconoclast007

Woodpecker
Start an internet /locarion independant business and register the company in Estonia. Gain E residence and when you pay yourself a salary you will get healthcare. Consider enrolling in college at the university of Tartu. Get a job at a tech company in Tartu until your business takes off you can find jibs at cv.ee . Secure a sales job at an intl tech firm that will value your english as mother tongue. Learn sales.
I wish the best, the life of an expat entreprenour is not for the faint of heart.

Saul Bellow

Pigeon
GyopoPlayboy said:
The Catalyst said:
GyopoPlayboy said:

Nobody PLANS to be poor, silly.

But if ever anyone did come up with a plan for it, it would look very similar to how you're doing it.

You only get vague generalities or platitudes because nobody knows you better than you. You need to figure things out. Some saying about a horse and water come to mind...

Here are examples of concrete plans:

"I enjoy working with my hands, outdoors. I will go back to NZ/AUS and enroll in some kind of apprenticeship program that will train me."

"I want to teach English abroad. But the good jobs require a BA degree. So I will go back to NZ/AUS and try to find the cheapest possible way to get a BA so that I am more marketable."

"I want to live and work in Hungary. So I will research jobs that are highly in demand/facing an internal shortage that pay well and figure out how to go about getting those jobs."

You have no college degree (mostly used for signaling purposes to employers) nor any real marketable skills. But you're 20, so you have youth on your side.

It's just that the track you're on now is leading to you waking up at 30 with no college degree or marketable skills. That's going to suck. A lot.
GP — are you contending that having a high school/secondary school qualification at most is worth less the the value of toilet paper in this day and age? Can you explain?

joseph15

Sparrow
I would say either UK or stay in Budapest.

Whether you're making 300 euros in Hungary or 3000 euros in the UK/NZ, your lifestyle will basically be the same when you factor in cost of living. I'd rather be poor/middle class in a place I enjoy living in rather than in a place I hate living in.

It sounds like you enjoy life in Budapest more than anywhere else so staying there would be my personal goal. If you want to go to school and get a degree then yea you should go to one of these english speaking countries.

As someone who has lived in most Western and a bunch of east EU countries and understand the job and labour market well my advice to you would be either

- go to the UK, take an admin or barman dime a dozen easy to get jobs for a Kiwi and live on the cheap and save some money up to travel in Europe. This is the only realistic quick fix for you if you want to experience life in Europe in the early 20s. In UK even with a basic unskilled job if you share accomodation and budget yourself you can save upto 700 pounds or more per month. You can do that for a year and get a solid cushion to explore the rest of Europe while I imagine experiencing life in UK in your early 20s is something you would want as far as ticking things off the box.

- The other option is for you to go home or Australia and establish your future path/career and then travel through that or take a year or two off in your late 20s for travel.

Given that you chose Working holiday visa in a country like Hungary over UK or Canada tells me you are after life experience. It is totally ok to spend your early and mid twenties travelling with basic jobs and finding your place in the world.The universe will put you where you are meant to be and you might even end up starting your own hipster watch brand like Daniel Wellington.

However next time plan better and lose the rose tinted spectacles and see things for what they are. You dont move to a east European country and complain about lack of job opportunities and salaries. You move there with money to burn. So if exotic experiences is what you are after pace yourself between the anglosphere Aus, UK, Canada where at the latter two as a Kiwi you will find plenty charm and warm reception and finding decent paid unskilled work wont be hard and that will allow you to travel.

I spent my years after high school kinda like you, except I lived in Spain and USA and worked odd jobs. Fun times, hard times, lots of new friends - no doubt. I wasn't even gonna go back home to uni but luckily my mom made me change my mind.

I got tired of not having any real money. Sure it's awesome to work as a promoter on the Greek islands when you're 20, but it's not a long term carreer option, for obvious reasons. I don't know shit about that TEFL stuff but it feels a little similiar for some reason...

I'd go back to NZ or maybe move to Australia. Getting started with whatever you wanna do (start a business, learn a trade, go to uni) is much easier in a familiar environment, you got your family and friends and a good wages.

I never finished uni, dropped out after my second year. But with the help of some contacts from school I was able to launch my own brand. Got kinda lucky but I'm able to save about 5-6K eur a month, after all living expenses and small trips abroad once a month.

tl;dr go focus on making money, you can always go back to Budapest, much better to do so with some money.