What Workout Music Do You Listen to?

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Simple question really.

I've always viewed music as serving a purpose, and for that tend to go towards music with a good tempo & rhythm for my boxing training, jumping rope & doing HIIT.

Currenly that's a Latin boogaloo compilation from 70s & a 90s house mix, both downloaded from YouTube. I dont particularly enjoy either that much musically, but as i say it's pretty functional.

I would be interested to hear any more suggestions, especially any more musically edifying ones, that can still provide a decent functionality to working out.

newcomer

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Simple question really.

I've always viewed music as serving a purpose, and for that tend to go towards music with a good tempo & rhythm for my boxing training, jumping rope & doing HIIT.

Currenly that's a Latin boogaloo compilation from 70s & a 90s house mix, both downloaded from YouTube. I dont particularly enjoy either that much musically, but as i say it's pretty functional.

I would be interested to hear any more suggestions, especially any more musically edifying ones, that can still provide a decent functionality to working out.
I go with Golden ressurection, demon hunter and theocracy rn, they are more prog rock/ metal if you dont mind such a thing. I dont know about functionality, its just something fun to listen to when lifting.
Also theres a music thread on the forum, check it out.

I am an amateur musician and was deeply into music for most of my life. More so in my formative years, the time when music tends to be more important to one's identity in a way. And when you have more time on your hands and less responsibility.

I have always been primarily into classic rock / alternative rock / hard rock / heavy metal. It is a very masculine form of musical expression, and there is a familiar European/Western cultural fit based on the themes, imagery, and instruments used.

I never got into rap or electronic / dance music.

My tastes have changed over the years. I now primarily listen to classical, old blues or jazz. I especially enjoy classic jazz from the 30's - 60's. Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Miles Davis, Gerry Mulligan, Oliver Nelson. Something very soothing about it in the evenings. Glass of scotch optional. Just very relaxing. You feel like a million bucks, just walking off the set of a classic black & white movie.

That being said, when I want to throw some heavy weights around I still fire up some hard rock or metal.

SoftFor

Sparrow
Anything that matches my mood really. But if I don't somethin in mind, I'd go for “I Don’t Care,” Ed Sheeran feat. Justin Bieber

rouchno1fan

Pigeon
Orthodox Inquirer
I prefer silence if possible. Even when I play music I enjoy listening to I can find it annoying and distracting after a while. My local gym plays all sorts of rubbish (particularly hip-hop). I have developed the ability to "tune it out" thankfully.

bucky

Ostrich
I prefer silence if possible. Even when I play music I enjoy listening to I can find it annoying and distracting after a while. My local gym plays all sorts of rubbish (particularly hip-hop). I have developed the ability to "tune it out" thankfully.
Music at the gym is one of the best reasons to work out at home, especially if you don't like ear buds, as is the case with me. The last time I was going to the gym, they'd play Christmas music in December. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas music, but "The Little Drummer Boy" or "White Christmas" are about the last tracks I want to hear when I'm trying to squeeze out one last set of pull-ups.

Even at home, I usually go with silence. I used to listen to metal or some kind of harder techno when I was younger.

Brebelle3

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
I'm in the gym 6 days per week, skipping Sunday, and I'm desperately looking for something to motivate my workouts.

I want to have The Lord on my mind while lifting simply because I don't want the reasons for me working out to be anything superficial.

I just want to keep my strength so that I might be able to protect my family and keep nefarious individuals at a distance. Plus at 46 years old, it keeps me feeling great.

I've been listening to NF and Lecrae,etc, but I really don't like rap. Grew up with AIC, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, but that stuff isn't keeping my mind on why I'm there.

Even considered trying Gregorian Chants. Liking the idea of total silence as my gym doesn't play overhead music. (It's part of a Christian church complex.

Any other ideas?

For you guys, I would recommend this awesome Metal compilation : Metal For Jesus. It's mostly about Neo-Classical Metal. I'm not a big Metal fan, but I really like this style. I've been interested in music that mixes Classical / Baroque music with more modern styles for a while now.

Anyways the compilation is really great in my opinion, and it really pumped me up when I listened to it while training.

For those interested in Heavy Metal, I would recommend Stryper (there's actually a Stryper cover on the comp). They seem to be really a classic band when it comes to Christian Metal. They started out in the 80's (kinda Hair Metal) but are still active today and still seem to put out some good music. Definitely worth a listen if that's your cup of tea, and good music to work out to.

I go with Golden ressurection, demon hunter and theocracy rn, they are more prog rock/ metal if you dont mind such a thing. I dont know about functionality, its just something fun to listen to when lifting.
Also theres a music thread on the forum, check it out.
There are some tracks from Golden Resurrection on the comp. I didn't know this band, turns out it's really good !

SpyofMoses

Sparrow
^^ Was gonna mention Pantera but you beat me to it. Havok is another good one. They have some anti-Christian songs, but I leave those out of my Playlist.

If I'm just stretching for a recovery day, I'll put on some Do Make Say Think. They're instrumental and very relaxing.