When & how should the quarantines end?

When & how should the shutdowns end?

• End shutdowns immediately, no preventative measures (herd immunity)

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • End shutdowns immediately, add preventative measures

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • End shutdowns Apr. 6 (2 wks after shutdowns began), no preventative measures (herd immunity)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • End shutdowns Apr. 6 (2 wks after shutdowns began), add preventative measures

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • End shutdowns late April, early May after peak deaths (6 wks after shutdowns began), no preventative

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • End shutdowns late April, early May after peak deaths (6 wks after shutdowns began), add preventativ

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • End shutdowns June or later when active cases and deaths are clearly vanquished

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • More measures should be taken now such as domestic quarantine lockdowns & travel bans until virus is

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Travesty

Crow
Gold Member
The term add preventative measures in this poll means:

Masks, social distancing when possible, telling elderly and pre-existing to stay at home and telling their loved ones to avoid them physically. Possibly some very short term (2 weeks max) travel domestic restrictions to hotspots etc.

End shutdowns means:

Schools and businesses all open.

Some metros will be 1 or 2 weeks infront or behind, this is just overall ballpark for the U.S..

I voted for Apr. 6 end, add preventative. I kept poll private so people don't snipe each other when some votes in the future are proven ill-chosen.

Horus

Ostrich
Gold Member
RE: Shutdown Poll

Travesty said:

Masks, social distancing when possible, telling elderly and pre-existing to stay at a home and telling their loved ones to avoid them physically. Possibly some very short term (2 weeks max) travel domestic restrictions to hotspots etc.

This has been shown to work very effectively in civilized countries, such as Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Singapore. I don't have the same hopes for the multicultural utopias where most of us live.

aeroektar

Pelican

Governments are not making well informed decisions right now for the greater good, they are incrementally grabbing as much power as they can for themselves and their elite overlords.

I don't know what the exact correct path is, because the global data is murky and the narrative is hysterical. Its not easy to get a clear picture of what's really going on.

All I know is that people are fucked up mentally from this, it's fully consumed them and they can't think clearly. They are either to lazy to care about the shutdowns, or too fearful and willing to hand everything over. We are as vulnerable as ever.

The correct path is what Japan was doing, I don't know exactly what they are doing now but there were no travel restrictions within the country, people wear masks, they practice social distancing and good hygiene to a higher degree then most countries, they were business as usual and their numbers weren't alarming and there have been no alarming scenes.

You can't treat everyone across the US the same. Certain hot-spot regions will need stronger measures. Large parts of the country should be able to carry on, with preventative measures in place. Hot spots need to be held under the current measures, reassessment and adjustment needs to be done weekly until a downtrend is evident, at which point restrictions eased gradually until they too are living like the rest of the country.

Travesty

Crow
Gold Member

^ It sounds like you favor option:

End shutdowns immediately, add preventative measures

Travesty

Crow
Gold Member

At least in the early polling it looks like almost everyone favors preventative measures.

All the arguing between the main thread and skeptic threads seems to boil down to no shutdown vs 6 weeks of shutdown until passing peak deaths, with a fat middle curve of people that want a shorter shutdown. And there is a smaller proportion group that wants heavier preventative measures.

This matches well with the number of posts going on in skeptic vs. main thread.

aeroektar

Pelican

Travesty said:
^ It sounds like you favor option:

End shutdowns immediately, add preventative measures
Yes, for most of the country. Small town/rural/middle America doesn't need to live under the same rules as people in the dense metros. I'm not sure that ending the shutdowns in hotspots like NYC is the right thing to do now, or even anytime in April. Things need to be constantly monitored, and actions need to be highly fluid allowing for quick adjustments. Setting in a statewide stay at home order until June 10th like the governor of Virginia just did is the absolute opposite of what government should be doing. It's like lighting your house on fire because a wasp flew in the window.

kel

Kingfisher

Indeed, hotspots should be considered separately from elsewhere. Our cultural elites in NYC need to be told not to lick a strangers asshole in a plague and then do so anyways. So, they get one treatment. People half the country away where there are few if any cases and people are total retards can have different measures.

Travesty

Crow
Gold Member

Horus said:
Travesty said:

Masks, social distancing when possible, telling elderly and pre-existing to stay at a home and telling their loved ones to avoid them physically. Possibly some very short term (2 weeks max) travel domestic restrictions to hotspots etc.

This has been shown to work very effectively in civilized countries, such as Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Singapore. I don't have the same hopes for the multicultural utopias where most of us live.
Yes there is the red pill that things kill people every year especially the feeble bodied. There is also the red pill many nations are too dumb to implement preventative measures capably so the blunt hammer of shutdown may be needed, frail democracies and dictator rule in low IQ nations and all that.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
Horus said:
Travesty said:

My diverse neighbors have taken the opportunity to have parties every single night during the quarantine.

I'm sure there is no correlation between this and the amount of completely preventable communicable diseases where they're from.

The Wire

Kingfisher
Gold Member
My issue with shutting down now or the next 2 weeks is essentially "what was the point of the last few weeks"?

Either commit to something or don't do it at all. If you pull back out now you just tanked the economy for no reason and you'll have the same health strain issues as if you didn't do anything.

If world leaders didn't have their head in the sand they would have universally started closing boarders early on and we could have added in protective measures without locking down their own people. Instead they choice to let global travel to go ahead for many weeks without doing a single thing and now were in a bad situation. When the original thread was started on this forum back in Jan world leaders should have been in the process of locking down travel.

Its like the plot to Jaws when the sleazeball mayor refuses to acknowledge anything. As goofy as that plot might sound it's actually what happens in real life on a larger scale.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I'm angry at how most western governments have let this escalate to this point.

They refused to implement border controls and proper screening measures.
Failed at proper testing/isolation and contact tracing.
Reasons?
"Too much economic damage" or "Racism/Xenophobia"

Squandering many weeks of a time advantage.

Taiwan prepared after sending officials at the start of January to China to observe and report. Banned non-taiwanese to fly in from China, screened visitors, mandatory 14day quarantines for people coming home.
Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Vietnam as well all used to China's CCP shadiness/Deceit and experiences with SARS and MERS, governments and the population at large all understanding at the risks the virus posed and took measures to prevent the worst. No matter the cost economically/societal
_______________________________________________________________________________________

For what it's worth now, here in BC (Canada) they're doing a decent job balancing health/economy/society IMO despite fucking up so badly for the first two months.

Mass gatherings over 50 are banned (sports, bars, concerts), the businesses that are higher risk for transmissions between employees/customers like sit down restaurants and salons are closed. Most businesses that aren't able to "work from home" are still allowed to stay open and operate. Factories/warehouses/Construction et cetera. Mitigates the economic impact. Shit is still running

We're still allowed to leave our homes uninterrupted by stasi and visit others or go out.
Testing (under 2% positive rate so far) limited to outbreak clusters, health care workers and severe hospitalization. This protects vulnerable groups (namely care homes)
Borders closed to all foreigners

All this while resisting the masses and media fuming demanding for a full shut down and strict stay at home orders. Coming from a super lefty government and globohomo central.

80% of the population is luckily taking this seriously now, and daily reports are showing a positive impact (only 15% increases) they've cleared out enough capacity that models show health care system will stay intact even in the worst case scenario (northern italy)

I expect that as long as border controls are still place in 4 weeks current limits and attempts at social distancing will get relaxed (personal care and sit down restaurants). The healthcare system can manage any outbursts in the future while contact tracing with isolation controls the virus in the future
A few months longer for mass cultural gatherings like concerts
Same length of time with advisories for vulnerable groups to isolate and care home restrictions.

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
Hannibal said:
Horus said:
Travesty said:

My diverse neighbors have taken the opportunity to have parties every single night during the quarantine.

I'm sure there is no correlation between this and the amount of completely preventable communicable diseases where they're from.
Ridiculous. Call the cops on em, snitch on em. If we gotta follow these rules (for public health reasons), why can't they?

Samseau

Owl
Gold Member
Shutdown should end as soon as preventative measures are possible. I fear most Western countries are months away from such an outcome. It's BS, costing us trillions because our disgusting "leaders" couldn't ramp up facemask production. Pathetic failures, Trump just being the best of a crap lot.

1) End all shutdowns instantly

2) Tell the people to continue as before

3) Order enough vitamain C IVC for anyone who might come down with any infection/cold/pneumonia/ - as proven the treatments were near 100% effective in China and South Korea - even if you think that there is a killer virus out there - there is a cure for those who need it

4) Stop the idiotic testing forever and forget about it

Orson

Kingfisher
Horus said:
Travesty said:

How should the quarantine end? With submission of the virus to mankind’s dominance, of course! With enough tools of detection, we can do this. Without them, we simply must isolate ourselves and Wait out the virus lifecycle. “Deprive it of bodies” can defeat it!

Below is a graph of what this looks like, so long as we have sufficient tools to detect this invisible threat and manage it like China’s prepared and well-off neighbours have done:

JiggyLordJr

Woodpecker
Voted to end the shutdown in late April/early May. If it were up to me, I'd lift restrictions immediately, but realistically, late April is our best bet.

Here's why:

- In a month's time, it'll be clear that the "exponential curve" is not actually exponential. This in combination with the low death count will cause people to question their continued isolation.

- With Spring in full swing, it'll be warm, and Americans sure love some good BBQ weather. Getting people to stay inside is much more difficult when the sun's out and the birds are chirping. This is especially true for those in the Northeast, where the weather's only good for this half of the year. Expect to see a mass emergence back into society as the temperature gets better.

- Cabin fever will ramp up in intensity. NPCs are great at following orders, but given enough time, human instinct will take the reign. On a very primal level, people are not meant to distance for extended time, and the cracks will begin to show by the end of the month.

And most importantly...

- East Asia will outshine us due to their efficient handling of the ((crisis)). With most of the region back at work (and with preventative measures in place), countries like Japan, SK, Singapore, and even China will eclipse us if we don't get shit up and running soon. Every day that we're shut down while they're open for business is simply handing over points to the other team.

How much longer can the West ignore and fail to emulate the proper measures taken by the East?

Orson

Kingfisher
THIS graph illustrates the social dynamic involved.

Joanne Nova introduces this long, long piece by engineer Tomas Pueyo. The original had been shared over 21 million times not quite three weeks ago. Jo Nova is a science blogger whose university degree is in microbiology.

Here is her introduction, against mitigation (like the US is pursuing), and for crushing it and winning! Of course, I know the political hamstrings are our country’s layered federal system of governance, which defeats this unified and decisive strategy. But let her begin:

<blockquote>
If you only read one serious page about how to deal with this crisis read Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance. The countries that “get this” approach will be the first to recover.

It’s all the things I’ve been suggesting but done on big scale with an expert team.

What I call the Slow Bleed is officially known as Mitigation. It’s the 6 month Flu strategy that kills people and the economy.

When I said Crush the Curve, they call it The Hammer, the hardest form of suppression. The Dance is the delicate recovery process until we get a vaccine, a treatment or a nicer mutant version of the virus.
</blockquote>

MORE explanatory introduction here at
http://joannenova.com.au/2020/03/we-can-hammer-coronavirus-in-weeks-instead-we-go-to-war-unarmoured/

Attachments

acco

Robin
The Austrian Federal Government has adopted a timetable for the relaxation of the anti-corona measures.

Starting on April 14th, the first shops will be allowed to reopen, said Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz on Monday in Vienna. Initially, the stores will be small shops of up to 400 square metres, as well as DIY and garden centres.

According to Kurz, however, "strict safety requirements" continue to apply. From 1 May, all other shops, shopping centres and hairdressers are to reopen. All other services, restaurants and hotels will be opened gradually from mid-May at the earliest, according to the government's plan.

The decision will be made at the end of April, Kurz said. Meanwhile, the school will have to continue as "home schooling" until at least mid-May. Events are not allowed to take place until at least the end of June, the Chancellor said. The initial restrictions were extended until the end of April.

Österreich, über dts Nachrichtenagentur
Also some news from Germany ...

You shouldn't be asking something as heretic as that.

The government will tell you when the quarantine ends.

And no more questions or you end up like your neighbor:

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
You are a merchant of fear, selling terror in return for attention, ultimately in the service of the fallen one.

Should you accept Jesus you will learn to conquer fear. If you do not you will descend into darkness and doubtless try to take as many people with you as possible, just as you are doing now.

If you are an exemplar of whatever faith it is you follow, then you are proof positive that it has very little to offer.