When you finish a book of the Bible, post it here

SpyofMoses

Sparrow
This thread is for thoughts and inquiries about the books of the Bible you've recently read. I have read all of the New Testament a few times since coming back to the faith after years apostasy, but only within the last year or so have I taken reading the Old Testament books more seriously. There is a thread for books you've finished, but not one about the Biblical books you've finished, so I figured I'd start one.

My goal is to read all the books of the Bible. This thread is also a way to keep me on track to keep reading, and it is my hope it helps others do the same. Since there is a number of posters more familiar with the Bible (and the faith) than me, I invite any of them to post insights they may have and answers to any questions others post here. I thought about putting this thread in Orthodox General, but since I'm inviting questions I figured it might fit better in this subforum.

That said, I'll get it started:

I just finished reading the Book of Judges for the first time. Although I've been told the story of Samson many times throughout my upbringing, I never knew it was a part of the Book of Judges. There were times I was wondering why Samson stayed with his wife as she repeatedly betrayed him. Is it that even the strongest man in the world was weak against feminine wiles? Or did he just not even know that it was Delilah binding him for the Philistines until it was too late?

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Great topic. Summer last year I read the New Testament for the first time, amid pretty hectic suffering in my personal life that was what me pushed to finally do it. Then over the course of the first half of this year I read/scanned through the old testament, getting the core out of it and getting familiar with the characters, the story and above all the overall integration of the NT and the OT. To be honest I kinda feared to dive into the OT as I was under the impression that that would shatter my very positive impression of the NT, as we always hear about this angry God in the OT. However the takeaway I made was that it truly is an integral story, Christ mentions the OT too many times and in fact talks about separating the ''weed from the chaff'' more times then the OT. What I found that God did demand wrath and termination of entire cities/groups of people in the OT, but never without warning or without the chance to repent. That was the red line to me. Sure seeming atrocities did happen that we might never fully understand, but at least my impression was that this was separating ''weed'' to avoid the chaff would be contaminated by evil. Moreover coming from a secular background in a 99.9% secular country it was interesting to see that almost all of our proverbs stem from the Bible.

I did have some questions that I dove further into, for example should we resist evil and can we judge. I found that there are many examples in the Bible where Christians put their faith above the earthly authorities, such as John/Peter maintaining to preach in Jerusalem after being forbidden to do so by the authorities, Daniel refusing to not worship God and being thrown in the lions den and the Christians refusing to worship the golden statue of Abdulnazzar. The second question I had was about judgment and I found the idea of righteous judgment very appealing. Christ wasn't a hippie as He is portrayed so often now, He did call us to judge righteously and we saw that in his behavior towards the Phariseans too very poignantly. Therefore the argument that I hear so often about Romans 13 just obey to the authorities is not accurate in the broader context of the Bible. We must view the Bible holistically to understand its meaning, and not take one quote out of context and pose that as ''this is what Christ said'' or ''this is what the Bible says''. Sure, respect for authority is an element, but as I've shown there are many sides of the same coin. That would be the main takeaway for me, life and also the teachings in the Bible are multifaceted, integral and holistic. Beware of interpreting yourself or draw conclusions based on a single quote, chapter, verse or character.

kel

Ostrich
I would love a read-through of the bible or some subset of it, with commentary and discussion. I've done essentially that years ago, as a 12yo atheist, but I'd like to try it with fresh eyes and with some contextualization. I do not have time to organize this, though (I've tried and let it slip), it needs to be a "course" essentially that I can follow, giving a couple hours a week to.

If anyone wants to do this, please lmk.

Sol Invictus

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
I would love a read-through of the bible or some subset of it, with commentary and discussion. I've done essentially that years ago, as a 12yo atheist, but I'd like to try it with fresh eyes and with some contextualization. I do not have time to organize this, though (I've tried and let it slip), it needs to be a "course" essentially that I can follow, giving a couple hours a week to.

If anyone wants to do this, please lmk.
That's not a bad idea, but unfortunately I don't really have the time to organize it myself either, so I'll just say "Me too".

SpyofMoses

Sparrow
Moreover coming from a secular background in a 99.9% secular country it was interesting to see that almost all of our proverbs stem from the Bible.

I was astonished to find that out about a lot of old sayings, too. It's amazing how much the religion of our ancestors is still baked into the mindsets of our not-so-observant contemporaries today. One of my favorite phrases is "the writing is/was on the wall," which comes from Daniel. That book was actually as amusing to me as any non-Biblical book I've read in years.

Started this about 2 years ago. Trying to do 2-3 chapters before bed every night. Started with the New Testament. Had read the Gospels and Acts before but hadn't read most of the epistles. Finished that, then started the Old Testament as well. Made it through the Pentateuch, historical books, and wisdom writings. Just started the prophets, currently on the early chapters of Isaiah.