Whenever you finish a book, post it here

stugatz

Pelican
I'm actually watching the 1990s miniseries. It's not too bad - pretty good cast, but I like it when a miniseries or movie has its own identity. This follows the book a little too closely and isn't too inspired.

A lot of King adaptations are like that, sadly - after The Shining came out and completely changed his book, he got involved in a great many of the productions from then on.

Almost done with “War And The Bible” by St. Nikolai Velimirovich. It’s very good, though presented through the odd vehicle of “what he heard from a friend on a boat ride” that I suspect is just a literary device, and full of examples from Scripture and the modern world demonstrating how, when, and why God chooses who wins and loses in war.
Will you do a youtube review of it after? I really enjoy your youtube content!

Sanctus

Pigeon
Just finished "Boomers" by Helen Andrews.
Was okay as far as documenting the dismal legacy of the Boomers goes but annoyingly vague in parts and literally just ends with a brief chapter about how screwed Millennials are. Its premise was far better than its execution - it attempts to profile a series of high-profile Boomers and link them to the general populace (Just like Eminent Victorians did), but fails to really make a bunch of famous, rich yuppies of the era even remotely interesting. Andrews writes from the perspective of a conservative and it is apparent in her writing but she falls short in really nailing what exactly made "A Generation of Sociopaths", another tome that goes over the boomers' unfair reign, such a good book and one I'd recommend over this.
I am no fan of the Boomers and I think this book gives a good overview but it seems unfocused and ungrounded.

I just finished "Happy are you Poor" by Thomas Dubay. I was watching Taylor Marshall on the Coming Home network on EWTN and the host recommended this book to converts.
The book fleshes out the concept of Gospel Poverty in the New Testament and how it is lived out by Christ and the Saints throughout history. I highly recommend the book if you struggle with knowing how and why to live frugally. I will certainly reflect and go back to this book in the future to make sure the messages contained become instilled in my being.

Pioneer

Sparrow
The Spiritual Combat, by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli.
Phenomenal book, literally one of the best I have ever read. Highly recommend for general spiritual instruction in our warfare against passion, temptation, and sin. I started reading it because it was the favorite book of my patron saint, the great Doctor of the Church and master of the spiritual life, St. Francis de Sales (1567-1622). He carried a copy of The Spiritual Combat in his pocket for 18 years, read from it every day, and recommended it to everyone under his spiritual direction. This book will help you get to Heaven!

I recommend St. Francis de Sales’s Introduction to the Devout Life, a masterpiece in its own right along with Scupoli’s Spiritual Combat. You simply can’t go wrong with both of these books!

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
OK so I've read Fr. Spyridon's ''The kingdom of Satan and Orthodoxy'' and ''The ancient path''.

The kingdom of Satan and Orthodoxy is a dotconnector. It connects in very to the point yet often detailed fashion all the area's we are talking about on this forum. The essence is to show that the world that is developing now is Satan's kingdom, where the New World Government structure will serve as the seat of the Antichrist to exert his power over the whole world.

Spyridon goes through secret cults, the occult, the Freemasons, the Council on Foreign Relations, fabricated wars, the Jewish banking elites, zionism, climate change, depopulation, predictive programming. There is no area that is excluded from his in depth analysis. The key take away I made - which I intrinsically knew but which was shown to be the case so well - is that everything we see is about centralization. The IMF/World Bank? Centralisation of the economy. Faggotry and trannies? Centralization of a global culture. Global citizenship? Centralization of the slave herd. The second take away is that everything is planned. Yes, every war from Hussein to Khaddaffi (which both didn't want to implement Rothschild central banks) to WWI and WWII (which were needed to destroy national identities and force global cooperation afterwards), to the banking crises (chance for the bankers to buy property and assets at an adventageous rate), to the atomization of society in order to dissolve communities, to the gayness and transness now used to confuse people and make them fight each other, to television which is tightly set up conform an MK Ultra mind control perspective. Big developments are never spontaneous. Never. Period.

With regard to the Ancient path, in this book Spyridon outlines and contrasts key aspects of live in our contemporary society to an ancient (Orthodox) Christian perspective. To do a thought experiment I'd like to list the chapters of his book and contrast the modern take and the (Orthodox) Christian take.

Trials and struggles: Modern --> Oh I feel sorry for you bro.... why does this have to happen to me man??? Christian --> This is a great chance to prove my loyalty to God, develop my faith and get out stronger and more capable to serve God's will for me

Interpreting the Bible: Modern --> Dude all truth is subjective man, you can just interpret it yourself man doesn't matter right... Christian --> There is one objective truth, hence one interpretation of the truth and the Bible

The Church: Modern --> Just be an individual man, you can do it yourself right, be proud man... Christian --> We need community, community is a key aspect of our view of life, we are there to help one another when it is needed and keep each other on the right path

The Saints: Modern --> we are all equal man, doesn't matter to be a tranny, man, woman, animal, who cares man hierarchy that's old fashioned and bad man (even though I don't have a conception of objective good/evil)... Christian --> There is a hierarchy and this hierarchy must be respected for a just, wise and capable society to be in place. We are called by God to honour the hierarchy that exists between people, between sexes and between humans as guardians for the animals as different life forms

Prayer: Modern --> dude you talking to some spirit or something? That's weird man just believe in yourself man.. --> Christian: Prayer is essential as it lays a foundational relationship between my creator God and myself as is humble servant. I must ask for forgiveness, repent ask God to enlighten me with the path He wants me to follow, if that is His wish

Remembrance of death: Modern --> make the most of this life dude, have fun man you only live once man YOLO, do what you want cause one day it'll be over, pursue your passions and wishes man.. --> Christian: remember that eternal life is at stake here, death is just a moment to transition to eternity with God or without Him, our main purpose of life is to end up at the right side of the track at our final judgment which will come for all

Knowledge of God --> Modern: interpretation is subjective man, there is no real knowledge and how do you know there's a God anyway man... Christian: God is the only logical explanation for life and the universe, I must strive to understand God as good as I'm humanly capable to do

Love --> Modern: Love is outdated dude, come on man have fun don't be so boring man... just do what you want short term don't think about the long term consequences, you must experience dude!! Christian --> Love is the essence of life on earth. Love for God, our community, those close to us and with ourself in a peaceful and non prideful way

Prelest and Heresy --> Modern: who are you to decide what's good and wrong dude? Heresy to what man all is subjective remember, who are you to judge that dude for wanting to be an insect and fly around like a butterfly.. and a bad spiritual state is just being human man, it's natural you're just experiencing your full humanity man --> Christian: divertions from objective truth are at least been researched very carefully and be discussed thoroughly before being considered as potentially truth, moreover one has to guard their inner peaceful state and relationship with God so the demons cannot instill distraction, unrest and confusion within us

Works --> Modern: do what you want man as long as it benefits you, and if you help others make sure it's something you can benefit from too or at least feel good and proud about.. Christian --> Do the internal and external works of God, meaning the internal repentance and developing your relationship with God, and externally taking care of people who need it and have less than us, in addition to behaving in a dignified way

God's mercy --> Modern: mercy is weakness man, you're an animal trying to survive as the fittest, if you gotta put others down for that that's natural and good.. --> Christian: Have mercy on others and forgive them and help them, in order to expect God to give you an opportunity to be forgiven by Him for the shameful and sinful things you've done

Wealth and possessions --> Modern: acquire as much as you can for yourself dude, that's when you're succesful man.. Christian --> acquire what you need, more than that will corrupt you spiritually. Help the poor. Don't ever become a slave to money or material possisions

Repentance: --> Modern: be proud man don't regret anything, have no regrets dude.. Christian --> I've done many shameful things and continue to do so, so I've got to repent to God and beg Him for forgiveness of my weak state and self

The holy sacraments: --> Modern: that's so unnecessary man and old fashioned too... --> Christian: tradition is important and valuable

The divinity of Christ: Modern --> divinity, we're all the same man!! Christian --> Christ has been unique in his human and fully divine form

The family: Modern --> you want a family? But you gotta travel man!! Get a career, make money, there are so many things to do before getting a family man you can do that later but don't let it impact your own wishes --> Christian: the family is the core unit of the community, the core unit for which I live on this earth

Sex and lust: Modern --> That's good man, you're a human right, be free man have as many partners are you want... experience, find out what you like man!! --> Christian: Sex is a form of loyalty and love to be had with one partner that you love and care for for a lifetime, we have to be careful with lust for it can make you a slave to your passions

Pride and humility: Modern --> be proud man !!! --> Christian: Be humble. Care for each other, all pride and glory to God

Ascetism: Modern --> Indulge in your senses and the world man, experience... --> Christian: don't lose control over yourself to your passions, value the spiritual over the material

Theosis: Modern --> You're your own God man.. --> Christian: it is an inner calling for all of us to resemble Godlike qualities and works

The Theotokos --> Modern: A virgin can't have a baby dude, science says that man... --> Christian: the Holy Spirit and Angels can work through people, there are many things that science can't explain for the material world is such a small aspect of the entire spiritual world

The Church Fathers --> Modern: we have progression man, it only gets better, don't value traditions, they are outdated and old fashioned man, what did they knew back then.. --> Christian: we value the insights of those who came before us, especially those who lived in the era of Christ and shortly after, for knowledge is to be stacked upon eachother in order for wisdom to be born

The seven ecumenical councils --> Modern: what's on the tv tonight dude? Can we already go to the bar again?? --> Christian: it is important to come together and speak about spiritual matters, for our spiritual life is what is paramount.

What we learn from the Ancient Path is that all of modern society is a direct and designed contradiction to the teachings of God.

To finish off with a quote ''as the occult becomes more and more the center of society, every sign of faith becomes weird and extreme.'' I rest my case to how far we're seeing that now...

Read these books, you'll be edified!

I recently read "Sea of Rust" by Robert Cargill. It tells the story of a self-aware robot trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic society of thinking machines, after humanity has been overthrown. I enjoyed the novel and liked how at times the robot would have flashbacks of the humans he had served over the decades, and what they had taught him. A particularly funny scene is when the mechanical main character is being hunted by enemy robots, and so he hides in a warehouse that turns out to contain hundreds of android sexbots. In an act of desperation he activates them and programs the "nude machines" to go on the attack! Lol The ending left the strong possibility of a sequel.

Sitting Bull

Woodpecker
I recommend The Law of Civilization and Decay by Brooks Adams (available for free at https://archive.org/details/lawcivilization00adamgoog). Adams is an economicist-materialist who calls religious people "emotionalists" or "imaginative". But he has fascinating insights on "global" economic history.

When you have read the Chapters on the end of ancient Roman civilization you will understand how it was usury that destroyed it and how similar it is to the situation today. Except that in the Romans' time there was no brainwashing industry (I mean the media) and people were much more aware of what was going on.

Though Adams is a materialist and has no dog in the Catholic/Orthodox fight, Catholics will also find cultural arguments against "Orthodoxy" in this book. There is nothing great about the birth of the East Roman Empire - Constantine went there simply because that's where most of the jewel producers and cheap labor was located, and as a result that's where the money accumulated.
To use a modern-day analogy, imagine American millionaires and usurers emigrating en masse to Mexico or China to be closer to their economic slaves, leaving America a wasteland.

I love how he evaluates the level of fulfillment/decay of a civilization by analyzing typical archeological/cultural artefacts. He does it better than any other author I know. I was also impressed by how he interprets English Christian sects (Puritans, nonconformists etc) as economic classes. A sort of marxist theory without all the patronizing, sleight-of-hand, and childish messianism of marxism.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I finished Welcome to the Orthodox Church. A great book to give an insight into Orthodoxy as starting point. It goes through a story about a fictitious person going to the Church, experiencing the Liturgy, experiencing Orthodox fellowship in the community. Woven into that are all the core tenets about Orthodoxy, theologically and also history and key differences with Catholicism and Protestantism. For someone new inquiring the faith it was a very helpful book and would highly recommend.

SpyofMoses

Sparrow
I just finished 'Starship Troopers' by Robert Heinlein. Loved the movie because I like action comedies. The book is even better. Less action, more philosophy; my kind of story. There a lot of little gems about what it means to be a citizen in an orderly society. The part about "juvenile delinquent" being a contradiction in terms stood out as a perfect example of the softening of American society. It's kinda funny to me how the director hated the book and made the movie to be a parody of the book to deter people from accepting some of Heinlein's points. Enough of the philosophy seemed to ring through the movie anyway and that's why I read the book.

Redcrosse

Woodpecker
Pseudopandemic by Iain Davis

This is an exhaustive, well-sourced, 400 page book outlining just about every last detail of the Covid hoax. It covers everything, from why the vaccines are neither safe nor effective to how the Great Reset biosecurity state is intended to work.

I do have a few quibbles, as despite the title he regards Covid as a real new disease, whereas I don’t think Covid even exists and is just a renaming of common, age old respiratory diseases. But that’s a minor complaint. This book is worth reading if you want just about every piece of important information related to the fake plague at your fingertips. Everything is footnoted.

It’s still available on Amazon, probably not for much longer, but you can also get a free e-copy from his website, all you have to do is subscribe to his newsletter. It really is an excellent treasure trove of facts and explanations for everything that’s happening:

BasilSeal

Sparrow
On a genre kick, I finished these books back to back.

Virus Mania, by Engelbrecht et al
Murder by Injection, by Mullins
Vaccines, autoimmunity, and the changing nature of childhood illness, by Cowan
Dissolving Illusions, by Humphries et al

Probably off this kick for a while now...

But, of these Mullins is the worst in terms of readability, but interesting. Virus mania and dissolving illusions are both worth some consideration.

I can't really figure Cowan out. The book was fine.

-basil

Apologies if this isn't the right place, but I'm new to posting on the forum and looking for book recommendations on the topic of banking.

I'm currently reading Father Spyridon's "Orthodoxy and the Kingdom of Satan" and just finished the chapter on the same subject and it's a topic of which I'm quite ignorant.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, or just direct me to the thread where this question should be posted. Thanks.

Python

Chicken
I have finished the following book: Stephany, Timothy J. (2013): Enuma Elish: The Babylonian creation epic., 2nd edition. The parallels between the biblical and the Sumerian flood myth are fascinating.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson

The book is about the first year of Winston Churchill's service as prime minister of the UK early in World War II. It's not a long book, and an easy read, but is also very interesting in the inside information it gives about what was going on with the leaders of the UK, US, and Germany during that time. There are some very interesting anecdotes about life in Great Britain during the bombing blitz in both high and working-class society. I've always been intrigued by how sensitive people in the UK seem to be about the role of class in their society and history and books like this help give insight into it.

I've also read Larson's book The Devil in the White City about the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago and H. H. Holmes. It is also a very good history book.

Pantheon

Sparrow
Orthodox
Arise, O God, by Fr Andrew Stephen Damick. A neat little book that helps you understand how the gospel shifted context from a public declaration of victory to a modern marketing strategy which tries to sell you free promises.

The ancient preaching of the gospel was thus framed as military and aristocratic public announcements would be, while the reformation neatly turned into a sales offer. The gospel thus goes from Christ expecting everyone's obedience to being targeted to the individual, who is being given a "free" choice as a customer. English Bibles, the author writes, begins to translate words like faithfulness to faith and "belief".

It was an interesting and valuable read for me as a recent convert since it confirmed my view of modernity as a caste revolt, where a growing individualistic middle-class gains economic traction and eventually overthrows the aristocracy and imposes commercial values on society.

It makes sense then, that such a middle class rhetoric begins to frame the Bible in terms of economic transaction and legal reward/punishment.

The modern west therefore is Protestant to the core, even if it has replaced spreading "the good news of the Bible" with universal liberal ideologies and other forms of advertisement.

Last edited:

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Finished the New World Order by H.G. Wells, small book of 150 pages from 1926. The book obviously has a title that rings some bells. No, the term New World Order isn't something invented, it's the term for the new world system set about in this book 100 years ago. In it Wells, elite insider and father of modern propaganda, starts interestingly by critisizing Marxism and especially Bolshevism, as this has resulted in an oppressive and difficult to manage system. Wells advocates for a socialist world system though, in which there are no borders and there is a Universal Declaration of the Rights of Man, which accounts for things like healthcare and freedom of speech, but interestingly can be taken away ''when the system finds it necessary''. In this system people have no weapons, only they have weapons to enforce the law. Great emphasis is placed on the scientific nature of this world government: much effort has to be put in science and education, and also propaganda, to bring these ideas to the masses and ''understand our world better''.

Overal I was a bit disappointed with the quality of writing. I had expected more from a top globalist writer. Although the points made were very revealing to what we see today, and it is obvious that this core idea has been tremendously influential in the system we're seeing being set up now, it just comes across like a jibbering old man going on endless trains of thoughts. Often things mentioned are contradictory and overall of course the standards proposed are completely subjective. Who is he to decide what human rights are for example? Altogether quite revealing and obviously it is underlined that humanity is in a crisis and that the erection of the New World Order is essential for humanity's survival, why that survival is so much threatened remains unclear. He appears to have a good motive, a World Pax, no war, human rights etc and although that can be the case it is clear that this idea has been hijacked at least and being put in a beast system of control, dehumanization and all out misery. It is hard to distuingish the motives of these authors as these ideas are always presented as something to solve a portrayed crisis of humanity, whether that is overpopulation, climate change, ending poverty or ending war.

Overall score:

Insight in the globalist plans: 9/10
Writing quality: 6.5/10