Where can you buy the cheapest super mansion houses?

Leads

Robin
I stayed at an Airbnb in Balchik Bulgaria. It was your classic white mansion with like 4 stories and multiple sprawling patio views looking down on the Black Sea. They paid 12k and it was the nicest place I've ever stayed in my entire life. Marble spiral staircases and every thing you'd expect. No AC though due to a construction miscommunication! I had several fans in my room. No prob as the family was nice and had a commercial espresso machine down in the huge kitchen.

The weird thing was walking from it down into the seaside town and passing poor, buck-naked gypsy families and almost getting eaten alive by rabid dogs.

fktax

Sparrow
66Scorpio said:
My wife is building a house in the Philippines and it will be something like $50 a square foot, all in, including land and interior. A quick internet search indicated that the US average runs $75 to $130 for labour and materials (ex. land and finishings, and this might be doubled if you have a general contractor handle everything for you). It's sort of a pet project she started before we met and she has been working on it for 2 years.

Is she a Philippino? Biggest issue I know of in most South East Asian countries is you can't actually own the land as a foreigner. You can own a local company that owns the land (which presumably the government can take on demand) or you can own an apartment (which is a piece of sky land).

Matt Warner

Sparrow
Gold Member
Heuristics said:
The Catalyst said:
Heuristics said:
The Catalyst said:
Brosemite said:
Constantly going up in price...and the property taxes? Sheesh

Yeah she was probably comparing it to equivalent houses in Auckland or Christchurch, or perhaps even the US as a whole.

Do they have a billionaire's row over there in NZ? Those tech bros (beta preppers) are buying up the whole country, so they're overdue one. It could end up the London of the Southern Hemisphere if NZ markets it correctly.

From what I know actual billionaires buying stuff here doesn't really make an impact.

The major factors are:

1) The Kiwi government having major restrictions on building highrises or in farm areas (zoning etc), plus super strict regulations on building, from what I heard regulations alone make costs around double what they should

2) Kiwi delusion as to how good NZ/buying houses are

3) Chinese delusion as to how good NZ/buying houses are. Here it is more understandable as perhaps you might not want to buy a house in polluted China. And also you might be desperate to get assets out of the clutches of the CCP. That being said I still believe they are overpaying for Kiwi assets if they have access at all to alternatives(Aussie/Canadian houses).

We're cheaper than London I believe but more expensive than the vast majority of places and certainly for our city size.

That’s interesting. So they’re a bit protectionist or anti-housing in some ways.

I can’t imagine how much a single family home is running over there. In some parts of the US a decent house can be had for a couple hundred thousand, of course depending on what part of the country you are in. Of course we have a lot of land, and zoning can be pretty lenient especially outside of urban areas or even in some suburbs… Which are sprawling by most accounts.

1) Restricting the housing market is a problem, and I would hate to live there. Sounds like California where they have a monopoly like structure set up preventing the building of affordable single family housing.

2) Agreed

3) Chinese will do that. They want to expatriate their money and real estate holdings, somewhat of a similar situation in Vancouver, California and Australia. They also want rule of law and good property rights, understandable because they don’t want their houses being bulldozed or seized. Of course they contribute to the inflation in property costs.

I find Auckland very similar to Sydney. That said Auckland is nothing like the situation in the rest of NZ, maybe with the exception of Wellington.

A couple of urban myths. In both Sydney and Auckland there is the view that high density reduces the cost of housing and governments oppose hi rise and this adds to it as well. This is bullshit pushed by the developers and those with a vested interest.

The reality is high density in desirable locations is not cheap and the building quality of Sydney apartments with few exceptions is appalling. I suspect Auckland quality is similar.
High density in less desirable locations is cheaper but I wouldn't want to live in a concrete shitbox in the surburbs for any price.

At least the NZ government is doing something about overseas buyers out pricing the locals and pushing up house prices.
In Australian and in particular Sydney, the glut of rubbish apartments on the market and the reduction of overseas buyers especially the Chinese is reducing prices anyway.

Away from Auckland house prices are not too bad, say in Christchurch you can buy a reasonable house for around 450-500 $NZ. Convert into USD and its not too bad.

I have a quite positive view of NZ and don't agree with the backward place view of many. I know people doing very well there and they have a great quality of life.

Also in general is it way less regulated than Australia, way less of a nanny state.

Seadog

Kingfisher
Donfitz007 said:
An affordable mansion of that caliber is still MINIMUM $3,000,000.

I always knew Vancouver's housing was out of whack, so out of curiosity googled what $3m will get you there.

Behold!

png-0922n-thinhouse-003.jpg

It's amazing how in the midst of an irrational financial bubble people will use any rationale to justify their irrational behavior. After all, housing only goes up, yesterdays ceiling is today's floor, and it's impossible to overpay.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't want a big home. I had an acquaintance who had a nice 7000 sq ft, 8 br behemoth on a lake here. He said he regretted it because as nice as it was, he spent all his time maintaining it, and never actually got to enjoy it. Just ask Kona what it takes to maintain a lawn to respectable standards.

Eusebius

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Mansions are definitely overrated. Do you know what kind of apartment you can get for well under $1m in Budapest? Prime location, Danube views, high-ceilinged Austro-Hungarian splendour, completely modernised and renovated...much better value for me than a McMansion. But depends on the lifestyle you want.

66Scorpio

Woodpecker
Is she a Philippino?

Yes. I haven't looked into how they look at foreigners owning real estate. I suspect the heavy Spanish and American influence might give better legal liberties and protections for foreign real estate owners, but I will figure it out in the next few years.

66Scorpio

Woodpecker
A buddy of mine moved to Budapest several years ago and said the real estate market was primo. I think he started working as a real estate agent and said the market was set to take off. Not sure if it happened yet.

Seadog said:
I always knew Vancouver's housing was out of whack, so out of curiosity googled what $3m will get you there.

It's amazing how in the midst of an irrational financial bubble people will use any rationale to justify their irrational behavior. After all, housing only goes up, yesterdays ceiling is today's floor, and it's impossible to overpay.

Housing does only go up. Show me a country where housing hasn't gone up in the last 50 years.

It doesn't go up in a straight 45 degree line I'll give you that, you'd be a fool to think however that RE isn't a good long term investment. And I define long term here as 50 years and up.

Donfitz007

Kingfisher
Tail Gunner said:
"Hey, the government is offering free land. I am going to build my dream house there!"

Friend: "Uh, that used to be a toxic chemical dump, plus there are still land mines buried there from the last war."

Every party needs a pooper, that's why I'm inviting you,
Party pooper, party pooper.

You got a chuckle from my comment, didn't you. You're 100% right but im Sure OP wants a dan Bilzerian style house in America.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Most mansions are ugly as sin.

mcmasion.png

No character.

tumblr_inline_or8yu4CVb61sppt0x_1280.png

No individuality.

tumblr_inline_opr3j23JB61sppt0x_1280.png

Try hard central.

tumblr_inline_opr2s2j3ZZ1sppt0x_1280.png

What style is that?

tumblr_inline_pbrdihuXtC1sppt0x_1280.png

I believe it's:

Look at me. Big. Important.

tumblr_inline_opr2u87dQd1sppt0x_1280.png

A force to be reckoned with.

tumblr_inline_oe9w7wwc3x1sppt0x_1280.png

If I had big bucks I would get a place like this, just outside a big city, plenty of land, a pond. Designed by an artist with every little thing looking perfect in its place.

[video=vimeo]https://vimeo.com/169122298[/MEDIA]...r life. [MEDIA=youtube]DXmAwx8Imxw[/MEDIA]

Donfitz007 said:
THIS is a bargain mansion. The pool itself is worth 1.5 million by most designers.

The house seems nice enough, but I can't imagine actually using everything they stuffed into it.

Funniest part was that they tried to demonstrate how close the beach was by driving to a small airport and flying there in a helicopter. I never saw a beach and the house in the same shot. Not even from that helicopter.

McMansions are trash. Built cheaply by developers, and look tacky as hell. You should never try and build a legacy with a McMansion. Get something historic instead, but it'll cost you a lot more than these cheap places built today.

Oak-Alley-Plantation-Louisiana-70.jpg

tour_img-1062860-148.jpg

Old-Westbury-1024x672.jpg

8721f112_2134_404c_81b0_f1bde01845a0_1ed243db-c388-488f-b374-f383a206f3f7.jpg

And you definitely want some land, look how close these houses are together:

ISukzlqbne7khs0000000000.jpg

ISibs0a5nynbv90000000000.jpg

fktax

Sparrow
worldwidetraveler said:
The bigger the house the more money to maintain it. You may end up being owned by the house instead of you owning the house.

More space to heat/cool/clean too. I love coming back to my apartment in winter after being away for a few weeks, flicking on the heat and it's warm in 30 minutes.

Would probably take a few days in a mansion.

2 Cool 4 U

Woodpecker
jbkunt2 said:
Midwest and the South are gonna be pretty hard to beat on value for oversized houses.

You can can get some beautiful ones in New England in nice areas with scenic views.

The average size of houses are much bigger in the US than any other country in the world.

Las Vegas and Phoenix is cheap by West Coast standards. You could get a decent sized house for a quarter of a million

Check Queretaro in Mexico. Its the local Beverly Hills and where all the narcos families go to live due to be the safest region in the country and the fact that is far enough from the north states to avoid a narco war.

Some incredible houses in the 500k-1mln usd range.

wellrockthecity said:
Check Queretaro in Mexico. Its the local Beverly Hills and where all the narcos families go to live due to be the safest region in the country and the fact that is far enough from the north states to avoid a narco war.

That aqueduct in Queretaro is quite amazing. Reminds me of the Roman Forum, except intact.

wellrockthecity said:

Wasn't the narco money the reason Ronaldihno played there?

Snag87

Robin
Mid-sized Midwestern cities such as Omaha and Des Moines offer great value. Inexpensive real estate and engaging cities. Sure, South Dakota is cheaper but there's really nothing to do there.