Where to escape coronavirus lockdowns/tyranny?

El Draque

Woodpecker
Orthodox
1 k maybe. Maybe 2 k. But all it buys you is 6 months of *ahem* freedom until the latest booster. So is it really worth it?

6 months of what...pubs/bars/restaurants.

Maybe if I really wanted to enter some other country it'd be worth that sort of fee.

Yeah i wouldnt really give a toss at this point in time. I have my Visa, I have my wife, I have my life here. Way things are right now i may never leave the country ever again & i'd be fine with that. I work online, and at least as things stand round here, no one cares anyway.

For international travel it will no doubt be compulsory at some point in the near future.

Maybe in two years time when i flip my temporary (annual) residency into permanent, it will be necessary, if that's the case i'll pay the going rate happily.

Beyond that, i really cant foresee any of our local restaurants doing any kind of VaxPass at any point, even in the medium future. Maybe that's naive, but i just cant see it.

We will be moving out to the country in the next 12 months anyway, none of this will be effective there, and our lives will be more concentrated on our property and family than restaurants anyway.

brotherjimbob

Woodpecker
Let's be honest here, most of these gambles are basically just buying us a few more months of freedom. Maybe a year or so. Either they win and steamroll everything or they lose and it crumbles.

Can't be true...

You know those films they play on loop in cafes/bars of ideallic parts of the world?...

The idea that their tentacles cover every inch of the planet is ridiculous.

The west, for sure, cities, probably, but the whole planet??

They're not going to send out choppers and drones to find anyone and everyone.

Just because they are in the lake District, creates this illusion that there's no where to run.

They WILL lock it all down, but whilst the window's open...

Tippy

Woodpecker
Can't be true...

You know those films they play on loop in cafes/bars of ideallic parts of the world?...

Just because they are in the lake District, creates this illusion that there's no where to run.

They don't need to do that. They can just make it a requirement for bank use/remote work.

Don Quixote

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Can't be true...

Anyways no sense being demoralized about it. We are going to have to suffer in the end, in the meantime you have to do what is best. I don’t know if there are brighter shores anywhere but I’m not going to chance it here...

Don Quixote

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I said earlier that full on travel bans would occur by November, and possibly as early as October. It may come next week. Biden is set to announce more vaccine mandates "ahead of the UN general assembly meeting," which is this Tuesday. That means that we will get a fresh round of mandates tomorrow morning.

What could Biden, who has already instituted mandates for federal workers, the armed forces, and even private employers, attack next? The only thing he can attack is freedom of movement. I don't think he will mandate vaccines for domestic travel (yet), but I think the one low hanging fruit is international travel. I hope not, and I hope that if he does pass some tyrannical order, that it is not 'effective immediately,' so we will hopefully have some time to escape. However, we have to be mentally prepared for the worst.

If indeed it is passed tomorrow and effectively traps us here, my plan will be to drive to the nearest airport in Mexico, and from there, catch a flight to Mexico City. Hopefully it does not come to that. Can anyone speculate as to what the mandates may be? I can't really think of anything else he can do at this point...

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Im in ukraine, theres very little in way of people taking this seriously. Went to mall yesterday maskless no one said anything. On metro i alway chin my mask, see a lot of others do this, also others without completely.

What city is this? Someone from Kharkov said that it is practically maskless. No chinning necessary.

It seems different cities have a different thresholds. The previous city I was in in Russia was virtually 100% mask free. Even most people who worked in supermarkets. The current one I am in, most of the supermarkets have a sign saying masks are required, but you will only be told to put one on when you go to the counter.

Armenia falling -

_Samo_

Woodpecker
Poland is completely open but you need to home isolate for 10 days then take a test:

And it seems that anyone can go there:

Thoughts?

I'm here now. Poland has been good for the last few months but remember its in the EU and they did long lockdowns before (no curfews though). For now there are no restrictions here, just masks in stores and transport but its not enforced and allot don't wear them at all.

rainy

Kingfisher
Sounds ideal... have you ever had any integration issues?
No but my wife is Bulgarian so I tapped into her network immediately.

But I generally don't find Bulgaria a tough place to integrate. If you know a little of the language and take an interest in the culture Bulgarians tend to take that as a huge compliment. They are some of the most welcoming and hospitable people I've ever come across.

In Sofia I have had zero issue on solo ventures striking up conversations and getting to know random people. In a village that is only magnified as there's a sense of unity. I do know in the village we have the house an American used to live there. Everyone knew him and talks about "the great American who worked in the local school". He obviously got to know most of the people in the village. It's old school. People sit out front and say hi to every passerby. I have literally walked into the village cafe, ordered a coffee, walked up to a table of people and said I'm knew here, what do you guys recommend as I'll be here for a week. They'll almost force you to then sit down, talk with you, invite you to a BBQ, introduce you to friends, etc, etc. They're so honored someone would take a interest in and be in their village from abroad.

Bulgarians tends to be confused as to WTF a westerner is doing in these places. When you show some respect for their culture and an interest, they open their doors to you, welcome you and want to show everything great about the country.

It is incredibly different than the states.

El Draque

Woodpecker
Orthodox
What city is this? Someone from Kharkov said that it is practically maskless. No chinning necessary.

It seems different cities have a different thresholds. The previous city I was in in Russia was virtually 100% mask free. Even most people who worked in supermarkets. The current one I am in, most of the supermarkets have a sign saying masks are required, but you will only be told to put one on when you go to the counter.

Armenia falling -

Kiev.

I always chin in supermarkets & metro as am a foreigner here, and until the ink is dry on my res papers, i keep a low profile re any potential altercations with law here. It's a infintisimal possibility but i dont want to risk anything jeopardising my right to live here on something retared like this.

My MO is just that, chinning and then covering mouth at at checkout. TBH i dont really object to that, the women tend to be old that work there, they likely are more worried about this stuff than most. Like i care about the quality of the minute or two i stand queing at a supermarket checkout.

Feyoder

Kingfisher
I'm here now. Poland has been good for the last few months but remember its in the EU and they did long lockdowns before (no curfews though). For now there are no restrictions here, just masks in stores and transport but its not enforced and allot don't wear them at all.

Are you seeing lots of foreigners? Would think places that are open would be swamped with covid escapees.

Not sure if this it the best thread to post in, but I can’t find any other that fits better.
I see a lot of desperation in these posts, and read many heartbreaking stories. It is not my intention to trivialize anyone’s hardship, just to share a strategy that works for me.
I have started to list the effect this madness has in my life. The real effects right now. It is so easy to drown in the media hypnosis and all the fear monger. The real dangers to me I have listed and taken action on while I disregard other aspects that is not concerning me at the moment. Stay strong all of you. These are dark times indeed, so focus on whatever small light you can find in your lives.

Feyoder

Kingfisher
You will avoid isolation, by coming there via the land border. (mostly empty crossing points)

I couldn't see anything about that on the links. It just says "crossing the border". Could you screenshot the info? Or is that what you've heard on the ground?

Last edited: