Why do all new buildings in America look like this?

redpillage

Ostrich
Gold Member
There is hope as consciousness about livable organic public spaces is on the rise. Here's an example - sorry for the auto-English translation but I could not find anything in the English news:

By the way, the architects in charge fought the citizen group every single step on the way as they considered rebulding the center in its original medieval style wasteful and inefficient as well as obsolete. Of course once it was built people loved it.

Architects today - just like artists - are selected and mentored based on their political and ideological leanings. This is why we get butt ugly cities that may look great in a computer simulation but fail in real life as they are cold inorganic and not conducive to social interactions.

Salinger

Woodpecker
Architects hate accessibility too.

It seems that a part of the newer trends can also be attributed to technophilia, the triumph of new materials over traditional practices. Why put a slope in your roof if you have some amazing new roof sealer you think will last fifty years? Why worry about how you site and orient a house if you have space age insulation and cheap energy?

That's another thing I've noticed about all new apartments, townhouses, and condos. They all have flat roofs. While a lot of times this is a cost-cutting move, most architects seem to prefer the ultra modern flat roofs to pitched ones of old. To me, this only adds to the boxy look of the building and is really quite ugly.

Here's a blog I found which talks a little about this subject: https://commonedge.org/why-do-architects-remain-obsessed-with-flat-roofs

Take a look at this pull quote. Does this not sound like it was rooted in Marxism?

Where once radicals gloried in rejecting the pandering banality of the pitched roof in favor of the “clean” box, now safely traditional Modernists hold onto the flat roof as validation of their professional credibility.

estraudi

Pelican
Gold Member
The flat roof nonsense can also be used to install the latest and greatest solar panels on it. Doing so on a pitch would be harder and actually make the roof look ugly and too futuristic.
If done on a flat roof the solar panels would probably be hiding behind some sort of parapet so therefore not as hideous.

redpillage

Ostrich
Gold Member
The flat roof nonsense can also be used to install the latest and greatest solar panels on it. Doing so on a pitch would be harder and actually make the roof look ugly and too futuristic.

Actually no - I have seen solar panels on antique buildings and they actually don't look too bad on them. It's a nice blend of technology and humanism. I'm not a Luddite and thus not against modern technology. I just don't believe we should lose our souls and humanity in the process.

Actually no - I have seen solar panels on antique buildings and they actually don't look too bad on them. It's a nice blend of technology and humanism. I'm not a Luddite and thus not against modern technology. I just don't believe we should lose our souls and humanity in the process.

OT:
Nuclear energy is so much better than solar