Why do all new buildings in America look like this?

Garuda

Kingfisher
E_6ZWacVUAEHM5f.jpg

Maddox

Woodpecker
I live near East Lansing, Michigan. The art building on campus (MSU) is the most hideously grotesque and headache inducing structure I have ever seen.

Damn...you weren't kidding.

Mich-State-Art-Museum.jpg

It ticks all the boxes required to be a modern art masterpiece. The exterior which resembles an AC vent grille isn't even the worst part. The worst part is the intended tilting of the structure which has none of the charm of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. My brain seems to want to reject the image entirely.

I can just hear the architect now as he pretentiously describes his "work of art" to others...

"I wanted to play with lines and not be confined to the standard definition of what a building should be."

Damn...you weren't kidding.

View attachment 33862

It ticks all the boxes required to be a modern art masterpiece. The exterior which resembles an AC vent grille isn't even the worst part. The worst part is the intended tilting of the structure which has none of the charm of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. My brain seems to want to reject the image entirely.

I can just hear the architect now as he pretentiously describes his "work of art" to others...

"I wanted to play with lines and not be confined to the standard definition of what a building should be."
Haha yes that's it. An absolute abomination undeserving of the materials it was built with. It contrasts terribly with some of the older buildings on campus that retain some visual dignity of years gone by.

Bamboozler

Pigeon
That MSU building is pretty hideous. I recently discovered the Jewish Museum in Berlin, which I have since considered The Ugliest Building Standing. It's a close call, but I give the edge to the Jewish Museum because it is just so jarring right next to the classically beautiful buildings next door.

ca6glodtlyiyu7w6.jpg

Jewish.Museum%2C.Berlin.original.21813.jpg

Jewish-Museum-Berlin.jpg
That's one monstrosity of a building. I guess its location isn't a coincidence either. It dominates the landscape nearby, and it's not a compliment. Who would like to uglify their own city on purpose if not a hostile force ? In my mind it's an obvious power manifestation.

BTW Are there two anarchy signs visible in the middle picture or am I just imagining things ?

Maddox

Woodpecker
That's one monstrosity of a building. I guess its location isn't a coincidence either. It dominates the landscape nearby, and it's not a compliment. Who would like to uglify their own city on purpose if not a hostile force ? In my mind it's an obvious power manifestation.

BTW Are there two anarchy signs visible in the middle picture or am I just imagining things ?

I see them too. In addition to that, the cuts in the exterior structure look like they're supposed to deliberately make the structure look ugly...like scars on a body.