Why do all new buildings in America look like this?

Maddox

Woodpecker
Protestant
College dorms are often a rip-off. It was cheaper for me to rent my own apartment vs. sharing a room with another student at the university I attended. In China, college dorms are basic (6 students share a room) but they are super cheap. The USA should also offer similar bare bone basic economy options for those on a tight budget so students won't need to sleep in their cars.

This dorm is OK, if is has 2 bathrooms or a shared bathroom with many toilets and showers on each floor. However, I bet they are overcharging these students for a tiny room.

That's another thing. Those rooms are extremely cramped. I see a bed and a desk w/ bookshelf...but I don't see where you're supposed to put your clothes. There's no dresser in there, nor is there room for one.

MartyMcFly

Kingfisher
Other Christian
That's another thing. Those rooms are extremely cramped. I see a bed and a desk w/ bookshelf...but I don't see where you're supposed to put your clothes. There's no dresser in there, nor is there room for one.
A fair price for this room would be $150-250 a month (depending on if Internet and utilities are included or not). 8 people could rent a 4 bedroom apartment and get a similar amount of space and likely pay much less than what the university is likely charging these students. Public universities are not supposed to be about maximizing profits, but the cost of dorms, tuition, food, and textbooks is ridiculous and shows they don't care that they don't mind ripping off students.

The room would be depressing to live in, but it is fine if the price matches it (which I know it doesn't). Stealth living in a van and using the college gym and library (for studying and showers) is not much worse than staying in this cramped room and would be preferable vs. paying what they likely charge.

Garuda

Pelican
Protestant
There's two drawers underneath the bed. That's not enough space though. I guess it's supposed to prepare them for the day when they own nothing and are happy like the WEF wants.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
The photo above of Argentina encouraged me to share some photos of the beautiful city of Buenos Aires built by Europeans. There is much undiscovered country in South America.

91785_3p0y6c1b5fj92f32.jpg

Buenos-Aires.jpg

25b734abe0f599bc0885a45cc369ac91.jpg

infowarrior1

Crow
Protestant
I saw these photos today when I looked up Sham Shui Po, a district in Hong Kong. This is a place that may look nice at night (from high up) but in the day it looks like a slum. It is sad that this is "progress." What kind of designer would make a bench that is obviously so uncomfortable to sit on? The designer has some dislike for society. I remember a bus stop at a nearby city that had the exact same seating. Would you like to wake up and walk out the door and face these conditions? I lived in a similar area in China and it is not pleasant . View attachment 34588View attachment 34589View attachment 34591

If said Architecture cannot look good in the sun and on the inside with lights or candlelight. Then it is a complete failure. Grey Concrete and lack of artistic talent in imagination as well as shaping material is a bane. If Concrete must be used preferably it must have bright colors otherwise it looks like a terrible nightmare in the sun.

Architects must be able to rotate vivid 3D objects in their head with sound and touch. Their descriptions that result from imagination must yield stunning dreamworlds of wonder. The closer it approaches to Edenic/Heavenly levels of Beauty the better.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I think I drove here about two years ago, trying to come into the center of town. The map was trying to tell me to take a route that clearly didn't exist, and I was trying to figure things out on the fly. This was likely the place because there was a canal where it was trying to tell me to drive.

I ended up getting a radar speeding ticket by mail for about 200 euros for driving 36 kph in a 30 kph zone. I couldn't believe they hit me with such a steep fine for such a slight difference in speed.

The roads in Utrecht piss me off!! :mad:

Otherwise it's an OK town. I like that big tower they have.

Joachim-Gaius

Pigeon
Catholic
Let's test this theory. If you see one of these in your town, post it in this thread.

Do these count?

Both are student housing and have funny names that sound like smartphone models, like "The K90" or "The 666"

k14-campus-flats-eugene-or-primary-photo.jpg

206-07-exterior-gallery.jpg
Think the University of California is using the same architecture firm and designs, as most of their new construction looks like those buildings.

The Beast1

Peacock
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
You don't live on campus to save money. You live on campus for the eXpErIeNce. Like doing drugs, eating disgusting dining hall food, sexiling/getting sexiled, and like opening your mind to like new perspectives bro. /sarcasm

College teaches you hOw To tHiNk. You know, like a degenerate communist that doesn't want to or know how to work.

I hate colleges and it makes me happy to see the commie factories of the North East are all collapsing thanks to nonexistent Zoomer parents having zero money and obscene tuition rates being looked at critically.

My Alma mater has a multi million dollar deficit and it brings me epic delight seeing their bond ratings collapse, incompetent administration panic,, and their tenured faculty getting laid off.

Hearing commie professors get laid off for the first time in their lives brings me delight.