Why do all new buildings in America look like this?

Sanctus

Woodpecker
Protestant
Australian cities have some of the lowest levels of density out of any major cities. Sydney has comparable levels to Phoenix, which is the densest city in Australia.

Sydney and Melbourne are rapidly approaching the largest extent that they will reach geographically and they cannot grow much further out than they have already. The other major cities still have room to expand further out into the surrounding countryside. 50-60km is the maximum distance from the CBD that is still within commuting distance.

Whilst the smaller major cities are gaining a major increase in new apartment blocks, the demand for new greenfield suburban estates is still strong and unlikely to wane any time soon.
The urban sprawl here is getting way out of hand. Every year they are pushing further out into growth corridors, releasing land that was once for farming and just building stack n' packs on them. Eventually, you live 60-70km's out of Melbourne and still say "Oh, yeah, I'm from Melbourne" just for the bragging rights.

ginsu

Kingfisher
Other Christian
If you crush a cockroach, you're a hero. If you crush a beautiful butterfly, you're a villain. Morals have aesthetic criteria.-a quote by Nietzche ( supposedly )

muscacav

Woodpecker
Trad Catholic
Now, all of those offices have walls replaced with clear glass.
There is this book called We written by the Russian Zamyatin. "We" is considered the older brother of Brave New World and 1984. It describes a dystopic world where people live like automatons, they have alphanumeric codes in place of names. Their architecture is purely functional and mathematically "perfect". People live in boxes with glass walls. Privacy is an alien concept to them.
Towards the end of the novel, when the central authority starts losing control, all subjects are forcefully coerced to do a mandatory brain operation that extirpates the part of their brain responsible for their humanity.

Last edited:

Batman_

Kingfisher
There is this book called We written by the Russian Zamyatin. "We" is considered the older brother of Brave New World and 1984. It describes a dystopic world where people live like automatons, they have alphanumeric codes in place of names. Their architecture is purely functional and mathematically "perfect". People live in boxes with glass walls. Privacy is an alien concept to them.
Towards the end of the novel, when the central authority starts losing control, all subjects are forcefully coerced to do a mandatory brain operation that extirpates the part of their brain responsible for their humanity.
Lovely

I have been meaning to get that book

The Penitent Man

Pelican
Protestant
I have never been to New York City, and was unaware that this monstrosity existed until today. It appears to have been modeled after a popular children’s game.

Jaybosan

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Listened to Michael Knowles interview of Jonathan Pageau the other week, and one thing Pageau said really stuck with me. They were discussing the Three Transcendentals: The Good, The Beautiful, and the True. Pageau pointed out that the Right has held to the Good and the True, but neglected the Beautiful. We have let ugly skyscrapers dominate our skylines and called this freedom. Freedom to ugly up our cities in the name of commerce. Historically, European cities would place the church on the highest hill, in the center of the town (and invest quite a lot into it's building and upkeep.) Enlightenment ideals of materialism and rationalism have placed banking corporations and big finance in these places in America. And we wonder why our cities are decaying. There's almost nothing beautiful left worth saving in urban areas. Is it surprising they've been given over to drug addicts and criminals? In a visit to Munich I learned that they have a law that buildings cannot exceed the height of the churches. IMO America needs laws like this for our cities.
Pageau also mentioned projects in cities like Charleston where they are attempting things like this, and narrowing the streets to make them safer for pedestrians. I like my car, but the anti-car loons are right that our communities could be more walkable and safer for kids.
In addendum, I know many Christian churches that are indiscernible from other businesses in a strip mall. I implore these faithful brothers to examine that if by neglecting beauty in their worship spaces, they are not inadvertently promoting ugliness and Mammon.

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
Listened to Michael Knowles interview of Jonathan Pageau the other week, and one thing Pageau said really stuck with me. They were discussing the Three Transcendentals: The Good, The Beautiful, and the True. Pageau pointed out that the Right has held to the Good and the True, but neglected the Beautiful. We have let ugly skyscrapers dominate our skylines and called this freedom. Freedom to ugly up our cities in the name of commerce. Historically, European cities would place the church on the highest hill, in the center of the town (and invest quite a lot into it's building and upkeep.) Enlightenment ideals of materialism and rationalism have placed banking corporations and big finance in these places in America. And we wonder why our cities are decaying. There's almost nothing beautiful left worth saving in urban areas. Is it surprising they've been given over to drug addicts and criminals? In a visit to Munich I learned that they have a law that buildings cannot exceed the height of the churches. IMO America needs laws like this for our cities.
Pageau also mentioned projects in cities like Charleston where they are attempting things like this, and narrowing the streets to make them safer for pedestrians. I like my car, but the anti-car loons are right that our communities could be more walkable and safer for kids.
In addendum, I know many Christian churches that are indiscernible from other businesses in a strip mall. I implore these faithful brothers to examine that if by neglecting beauty in their worship spaces, they are not inadvertently promoting ugliness and Mammon.

Indeed. Truth, Goodness and Beauty must exist as One. For if one is ever neglected or missing and not united as One. They will all fall down together.

For they need each other. God is all 3. Just like the Trinity isn't missing any person. As for buildings more specifically.

God designed the Tabernacle the temple and built the New Jerusalem for us to live in. All of them were beautiful and functional at the same time.

In terms of Beauty and Function it goes like this:
Tabernacle<Temple<New Jerusalem

From the least glorious to the most glorious. From the least beautiful to the most. And likewise with functionality at the same time.

Last edited:

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
The urban sprawl here is getting way out of hand. Every year they are pushing further out into growth corridors, releasing land that was once for farming and just building stack n' packs on them. Eventually, you live 60-70km's out of Melbourne and still say "Oh, yeah, I'm from Melbourne" just for the bragging rights.

Just like Cancer is ugly and destructive compared to regular cells. So is modern urbanity. Diseased metastatic growth.

paternos

Kingfisher
Catholic
I know many Christian churches that are indiscernible from other businesses in a strip mall. I implore these faithful brothers to examine that if by neglecting beauty in their worship spaces, they are not inadvertently promoting ugliness and Mammon.
That's great frame of thinking. The good, the truth, the beautiful.

I never thought of it as of a trinity. But it is.

It reminds me of one of my favourite books when I was 20, Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

An investigation into quality.

Without talking about God. He tried to grasp it. Which is impossible.

Actually this book is about resisting the holy trinity. Not being able to talk about God, his son and the holy spirit.

And you are right. Why would you refrain from beauty? In my opinion that's sin. If God has given us the ability to create beauty we should use it.

I find your quote an interesting perspective and it summarises my partly disliking of protestants. How will the destruction of beauty bring us closer to God?

It's very intuitive.

I had the pleasure to walk into a marriage in an orthodox church 2 years ago in Moldova. The beauty touched me to tears.

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
That's great frame of thinking. The good, the truth, the beautiful.

I never thought of it as of a trinity. But it is.

It reminds me of one of my favourite books when I was 20, Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

An investigation into quality.

Without talking about God. He tried to grasp it. Which is impossible.

Actually this book is about resisting the holy trinity. Not being able to talk about God, his son and the holy spirit.

And you are right. Why would you refrain from beauty? In my opinion that's sin. If God has given us the ability to create beauty we should use it.

I find your quote an interesting perspective and it summarises my partly disliking of protestants. How will the destruction of beauty bring us closer to God?

It's very intuitive.

I had the pleasure to walk into a marriage in an orthodox church 2 years ago in Moldova. The beauty touched me to tears.

Think the problem that too many protestants have is automatically assuming beauty=whitewashed tombs.

When in reality Jesus also said that "clean the inside and the outside will be clean also"(Matthew 23:26)

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
This is from the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904. After the fair was complete, the idiots tore this down...if you can believe that. They would also demolish the following to make way for whatever came after this. And whatever it was, I can't imagine it was half as beautiful as these images.

View attachment 49169

View attachment 49170

View attachment 49171
They did something similar for a world's fair in Chicago. However, at least in Chicago, I understand the buildings were very cheaply made, to last long enough for the fair, but not built to last a long time.

Also, I think they were laid out as exhibition halls, and not necessarily suited for businesses and residences.

They were beautiful though. I wish they would make cities look like this.

Grigori

Banned
Other Christian

That is definitely ugly on purpose.

I have a weird theory that the reason why these buildings, look like they were designed by aliens is because they are. I don't think that Zaha Hadid or any humans designed such buildings, no they are alien architecture.

Have you ever seen the movie "They Live"? In the movie, our planet is being ruled by aliens. Our "civilization" isn't ours necessarily, but it's an alien civilization that has been imposed upon us all. I mean that corporations, pesticides, TV, 5G, vaxxines, transhumans, and buildings in such architecture style were all invented by aliens, and imposed onto humans. It's not a real human society, but we think it is because we've lived in it all our lives and never seen anything else.

Before the aliens came, human civilization was more traditional, both in values as well as in appearance. The society was a patriarchy monarchy, and there were no corporations. The architecture was for example like in St. Louis or Smolensk or Xian. Human cultures perfected their civilizations and architectural styles over thousands of years. Within the last 100 years everything has become standardized. Every city looks like blocky alien style, because Earth maybe an alien colony.

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
I have a weird theory that the reason why these buildings, look like they were designed by aliens is because they are. I don't think that Zaha Hadid or any humans designed such buildings, no they are alien architecture.

Have you ever seen the movie "They Live"? In the movie, our planet is being ruled by aliens. Our "civilization" isn't ours necessarily, but it's an alien civilization that has been imposed upon us all. I mean that corporations, pesticides, TV, 5G, vaxxines, transhumans, and buildings in such architecture style were all invented by aliens, and imposed onto humans. It's not a real human society, but we think it is because we've lived in it all our lives and never seen anything else.

Before the aliens came, human civilization was more traditional, both in values as well as in appearance. The society was a patriarchy monarchy, and there were no corporations. The architecture was for example like in St. Louis or Smolensk or Xian. Human cultures perfected their civilizations and architectural styles over thousands of years. Within the last 100 years everything has become standardized. Every city looks like blocky alien style, because Earth maybe an alien colony.
Some say the aliens in They Live represent the Jews in modern society. I think they're deeply involved with ugly architecture.

Grigori

Banned
Other Christian
Some say the aliens in They Live represent the Jews in modern society. I think they're deeply involved with ugly architecture.
No. Beings from other planets. UFO people. Pleidians, reptilians, etc.

What is Earth is just one of the colony planets? Maybe there are also other planets out there that were also taken over by the aliens? Other planets such as Coruscant, having an analogous level of technology, architecture and social organization, because that is the alien's society.

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
No. Beings from other planets. UFO people. Pleidians, reptilians, etc.

What is Earth is just one of the colony planets? Maybe there are also other planets out there that were also taken over by the aliens? Other planets such as Coruscant, having an analogous level of technology, architecture and social organization, because that is the alien's society.

Yet Alien abductions have been stopped when the Abductees called on Jesus Christ to save them. They are the heavenly powers as described in the Bible:

When Angels fall to evil. Even their aesthetics decline.