Why do so many muslims have sexual relations with their cousins?

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
The reason why cousin marrying became verboten was the Catholic/Orthodox Church.

Before the Church got involved, it was perfectly normal for people to marry their cousins (or even nieces/nephews or uncles/aunts), mostly because it was to keep property within the family and because there were fewer other options for your rank and status. And the Egyptian Pharaohs long practiced even brother-sister marriage, and the Ptolemy Greeks who took over continued it (e.g. Cleopatra, the last Empress of Egypt and a Greek , was betrothed to her brother before Caesar, Mark Antony, and Augustus ended all that).

Basically, the Church both interpreted Christian doctrine to ban cousin marriage, and also noted that violence broke out between neighboring clans and lasted for generations because the clans kept marrying in the family and thus blood-feuds were remembered and kept on.

The Church banned 1st cousin marriages (with some allowances) so that neighboring feuding clans could only find marriage partners from the other clan---thus violence would go down since it was no longer clan v. clan, but one mixed family clan. The Church's impetus was a long-term War on Bloodshed and Strife.

In those areas the Church didn't touch, cousin marrying went on, hence, for example, the centuries-long feuds among inbred Afghani tribes. Islam did not ban it, and in fact likely stubbornly stuck to it to oppose the Catholic/Orthodox policy.

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
My understanding is that Christianity banned the practice of marrying cousins and this was a major benefit to the development of the European Civilizations, for both health reasons and social fabric.

Marrying of first cousins is often done to keep money and land in the family. I find it very strange.

Interestingly, for centuries families knew that close relations had a ingrained "ewwww" factor when it came to incest, so they would plan early: if a child was seen as a good marriage partner for a close relative, they would try to keep them separate during childhood and formative years to reduce the familiarity. Sending them away to a distant boarding school or to live with different relatives was often the way they did it.

In today's world, this has been noted in adoption cases: children who were adopted young and then meet their biological parents as adults have strong sexual attraction towards them, and vice-versa.

It's all disgusting, of course, but a weird trick of nature.

In today's world, this has been noted in adoption cases: children who were adopted young and then meet their biological parents as adults have strong sexual attraction towards them, and vice-versa.
Really interesting. I wonder if homosexuality is also a sexualization like that in some cases- an absent father or mother? and not to derail this but what about actual cases of incest or incestial fantasy?

On topic: A few years ago a Danish psychologist went at far to say this was the reason for Islamist 'extremist' movements in the Middle East - but I think our policy of bombing Israel's enemies has something more to do with it :)

Last edited:

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
Really interesting. I wonder if homosexuality is also a sexualization like that in some cases- an absent father or mother? and not to derail this but what about actual cases of incest or incestial fantasy?

On topic: A few years ago a Danish psychologist went at far to say this was the reason for Islamist 'extremist' movements in the Middle East - but I think our policy of bombing Israel's enemies has something more to do with it :)

Homosexuality is almost always the correlated with an absent father. Nowadays, with frivorce, its almost always mommy who kicked daddy out or else doesn't know who daddy is. You can't really find a gay--male or female---who didn't have Daddy issues.

Then other adult gays target the young, fatherless, unprotected men and molest them, making them more likely they will become homosexual in sexual preference. If you think homosexuality seems to be growing, you're right. The virus is spread by fatherlessness and molestation.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Have you been to a family reunion? Cousins, aunts, sisters..... they hot fam

infowarrior1

Hummingbird
I have a friend whose mother was once a public hospital nurse in an area with a community of polygamous splinter group Mormons. The men in charge would run off the rising generation of young guys, and then hog the young women for themselves. This had been going on for generations. The level of inbreeding was so bad that genetic disorders like having six fingers on a hand were common. She said that the most shocking thing when around them, was a sense that their average IQ was very low.

The long term impact of lack of monogamy and no limitations on polygamy.

Because historically polygamy was restricted to the wealthy and aristocrats and they always married outside the clan and often outside 1st and 2nd cousins while everyone else is monogamous. The inbreeding wasn't such a problem.

Also infant mortality had many babies with genetic problems or weaknesses dead.

Modern medicine keeps them alive nowadays.

No, because Jews marry their cousins quite often and apparantly are very intelligent (or so I've been told by many a White European, though I havent personally been impressed!)

For what its worth, my brother-in-law is Jewish (albeit an avowed atheist). According to him, a lot of Jews take a great interest in genealogy precisely because of the dangers of inbreeding. Practicing Jews can only marry other Jews--the religious members of his family disowned him for marrying my sister--and so with the very small population of Jews worldwide combined with the cumulative effects of in-population breeding spread over many centuries, the risk of birth defects due is a whole lot higher than with most other ethnic groups. Their interest in genealogy is entirely practical.

My mom once told me a story. Her parents were Italian immigrants who came over to the US in the early 20th century. They were poor peasants in the Old World, my great-grandmother died when I was a teenager (God bless her)...compared to her, EMJ is a bleeding-heart liberal. Some of my mother's Old World relatives who had also come over encouraged her to marry her 2nd cousin, but thankfully she married my Catholic
American Irish dad. According to her, a lot of Irish men married Italian women for two reasons--they're Catholic, and if you marry an Italian girl you get to eat Italian food instead of Irish food :).

Last edited: