Why do women get tattoos?

Irina

Chicken
Woman
I see tattoos on women as one in a cluster of symptoms which come standard with the present day "disease" that seems to be afflicting so many nowadays. Those are usually an early sign of an underlying dysfunction or mental anguish the person is dealing with. As a public school educator, I see this progression in high school kids, usually girls. First come the tats (before the age of 18 they would just draw on themselves with a black Sharpie marker), then comes the hair--crazy green/purple colors, chopped short, often an under shave or a weird side shave, then they proclaim themselves as bi-sexual, then gay, the next stage is transgender which usually culminates in a suicide attempt and ending up in a psychiatric ward.

Towgunner

Kingfisher
Tattoos and women and the reasons why they get them? 1. Conformity and 2. Feminism.

Tattoos are for tough men that had rather extreme experiences that tend to be out of the ordinary. Said experiences leave an imprint on the soul, which compels the subject to permanently mark their body as a way to personify the permanency of the event(s) or experience. On a contemporary level this genuine cohort includes jailbirds, gang members, military men (especially if they were in a war), bikers etc. Years ago, it was sailors. All of this created an impression in popular culture that presented a tattooed man as unique and uniquely tough. The outlaw. The rebel. There's a mystique at play here and it can seem romantic even. Enter a malcontented feminist.

This image was desired by feminists who falsely believe that men and women are exactly alike and that it was simply a matter of discrimination and some abstract idea of phalogocentrism that kept women from having tattoos hitherto. And since these militant maniacs have power, particularly, by way of the media in order to control culture, they transmitted a single that tattoos will make a woman be powerful and tough just like that former inmate that just got out after 10 years of incarceration.

The response from women was predictable. They could achieve, at least superficially, an image and perhaps even a persona to go along with it, as a bad a*s, without having to endure any of the real hardships that typically qualify as an extreme experience a la war or gang membership or prison. And, just like that, we see all the tattoos.

Tattoos are also addictive, its true. And just like with everything else that pertains to the fashionable and trendy, people try to outdo each other. So, a discrete frog tattoo on her ankle becomes a full sleeve.

That being said, I think the fab is waning. What comes next is going to be interesting. We've had plenty of annoying fads and trends over the years and that is nothing new. However, unlike Doc Martins or even gangster rap, tattoos are permanent. And if you have sleeve tattoos that doesn't wash off. Indeed, we do have the technology today to remove tattoos, that much is true, but the process is time-consuming and expensive and, ultimately, unnecessary.

They're never going to admit it, but, women I think are increasingly regretting their tattoos. Especially those that hit and are post wall. Because nothing the do any longer will count as they're thoroughly unwanted as this point. And so they realize they were never a prison inmate that was a member of The Brand, Mexican Mafia or Black Guerrilla Family. They're simply their fragile, unimpressive selves. Their tattoos are no longer something to flaunt, rather, something to hide because it exposes them as utter phonys.

stugatz

Pelican
Catholic
I experienced something really weird when I decided to learn how to cut my own hair (because the inexpensive hairdressers have always messed it up), and I kind of messed it up A LOT, and wore a hat over it for a long time.

Suddenly everybody in my life was demanding to see under my hat, and when I showed them like "lol it looks pretty dumb, see" - they all wanted to tell me... basically how "stunning/brave/beautiful" it looked and that I should show it off and be proud of it.

IT LOOKED LIKE CRAP. And more than that, IT. WAS. A. MISTAKE. Not intended in the least.

They don't even care if we do it on purpose or by accident, society just wants us to be UGLY.

That's exactly why women get tattoos. The world taught them that ugly is beautiful.
Sorry to chime in a couple pages too late, but I noticed stuff like this on Facebook before I got rid of it earlier this year. Since the mid-2010s at LEAST, as early as 2013 or 2014.

Whenever a woman I knew on there would get some drastic hairstyle change, like one of those Kate Goesslin hairstyles, a pixie, or even a buzzcut - it would always get well over 100 likes, and the comments were always stuff like "wow you look amazing!" Multiply this by three if she was a very attractive woman. Usually the vast majority of comments were from other women.

I'd always say to like-minded men "Are women this adamant in praising her because they are happy she looks terrible, and now she's not as much of a threat?"

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Sorry to chime in a couple pages too late, but I noticed stuff like this on Facebook before I got rid of it earlier this year. Since the mid-2010s at LEAST, as early as 2013 or 2014.

Whenever a woman I knew on there would get some drastic hairstyle change, like one of those Kate Goesslin hairstyles, a pixie, or even a buzzcut - it would always get well over 100 likes, and the comments were always stuff like "wow you look amazing!" Multiply this by three if she was a very attractive woman. Usually the vast majority of comments were from other women.

I'd always say to like-minded men "Are women this adamant in praising her because they are happy she looks terrible, and now she's not as much of a threat?"
I have generally never quite fitted in with women. One reason being that I find them insecure, which makes them prone to envy and jealousy.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Catholic
When I started to get tattoos, it was because I was lost and I wanted to fit in with the lefty/artsy/punk rock degenerates that I pretended to be friends with. I was clearly unwell, and getting a new tattoo made me feel special because the cool kids would admire the shitty new piece of art on my body, especially when I posted it to social media.

I have a tight knit family with loving parents, and my dad still makes fun of my tattoos and says I look like I’m a member of the Hells Angels. It has nothing to do with an absent father, however I was “friends” with many people who had a weak family unit so I felt like I was part of the gang.

Every time I look in the mirror I cringe at my tattoos. I don’t actually have that many and they are small and easy to hide. But as I get older, I‘m comfortable with being beautiful rather than hot and attention grabbing, and tattoos definitely take away from my beauty.

On that note, I have my first laser tattoo removal tomorrow.

Well said. Same for me pretty much.

I have tattoos that I got for basically the same reasons, mostly back when tattoo culture was just taking off and it made me feel like I was special and artistic. I created most of mine to reflect parts of my personality, they are all drawn by myself or my artist. No flash from the wall of a shop or Chinese symbols on me. I’m glad I at least saved myself from that embarrassment!

I too was trying to fit in with a certain type of group that was very different from the type of person I was raised to be. I no longer feel that need for acceptance or expression and haven’t gotten anything new in over a decade.

I don’t regret mine too much, but if I could start over again I wouldn’t get them because these days I see how pure, natural skin to me now looks so more attractive and it is a rare quality in other women. I'm glad that none of my tattoos show in business casual dress, there’s a lot of people I know who don’t even realize I have them.

Im also glad that my husband is very tattooed, so he never had any strong opinion either way about mine. I’m pretty sure he likes me no matter what is on my skin ;) But seriously, I’m glad I’m not dating because I would probably be viewed and judged differently by than the person I am now.

DanielaEverheart

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Why?
One of the reasons already mentioned: compliance.

2000's: a Colombian telenovela was being exported to Ecuador. Its name: Las Juanas. About six girls with the same father that were in different places. What did they have in common aparte from histrionic personalities? They were owners of a peculiar 'birthmark' like her father: a fish-shaped form in one of the butt-cheeks. Yes, they had to show it to male characters for accreditation. Corny, but it showed attractive Colombianas and
winter (hot beaches here) was approaching so some TV models got the symbol as a tattoo, they were given amor Time and I imagined they were paid. A tattoo may be a shrine of Cheeky (pride). (flower emoji)

Last edited:
Reactions: HOD

Jessie

Robin
Woman
Protestant
My husband and my dad both hate tattoos, so I don’t have any. Most of the girls I associate with are untattooed as well. But I do have a friend who is conservative, has a good father, was never rebellious, was never interested in having attention, etc. She showed up with a tattoo one day and we all thought it was fake. It was so out of character. But apparently, she always thought tattoos were very beautiful and could not resist her desire to have one. I think she is very much the exception to the rule, but for the most part, they often seem to come from the desire for attention or for a bonding experience with other friends.

DanielaEverheart

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
My husband and my dad both hate tattoos, so I don’t have any. Most of the girls I associate with are untattooed as well. But I do have a friend who is conservative, has a good father, was never rebellious, was never interested in having attention, etc. She showed up with a tattoo one day and we all thought it was fake. It was so out of character. But apparently, she always thought tattoos were very beautiful and could not resist her desire to have one. I think she is very much the exception to the rule, but for the most part, they often seem to come from the desire for attention or for a bonding experience with other friends.
I do remember Jessica Alba showing her tattoo to the interviewer in an Oscars event. It was like a 'mariquita'/bumblebee she had gotten with family members. It was cute... she's a Beauty

blacknwhitespade

Kingfisher
Saw this meme posted in a Christian (mostly Protestant/non-denominational) Fb group.
282559687_5285986464821816_8184391906652921095_n.jpg
Yeah, it amazes me how much Protestant/evangelical Christianity has become merely a confection of mainstream/pop American culture. I seriously considered getting a tattoo back in my twenties when I was a working musician. Seeing that everyone and their grandma has tats nowadays, I'm glad I didn't. To me, tats are right up there with hipster beards, iphones, netflix, vacations to Iceland, etc. on the list of Millennial clichés.

It_is_my_time

Crow
Protestant
Saw this meme posted in a Christian (mostly Protestant/non-denominational) Fb group.
View attachment 41808
Yeah, it amazes me how much Protestant/evangelical Christianity has become merely a confection of mainstream/pop American culture. I seriously considered getting a tattoo back in my twenties when I was a working musician. Seeing that everyone and their grandma has tats nowadays, I'm glad I didn't. To me, tats are right up there with hipster beards, iphones, netflix, vacations to Iceland, etc. on the list of Millennial clichés.
I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Now that most everyone under 35 has a tattoo, it almost feels more "cool", at least original, to have no tattoos at all. I'm glad I never got one and I doubt I ever will.

I heard someone once say seeing a beautiful women with a tattoo would be like building a Wal-Mart in the middle of Yellowstone National Forest. I have to say, that resonated with me. I wouldn't turn down a woman if she had a small/hidden tattoo, but I couldn't see me courting a woman with a visible tattoo.

blacknwhitespade

Kingfisher
I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Now that most everyone under 35 has a tattoo, it almost feels more "cool", at least original, to have no tattoos at all. I'm glad I never got one and I doubt I ever will.

I heard someone once say seeing a beautiful women with a tattoo would be like building a Wal-Mart in the middle of Yellowstone National Forest. I have to say, that resonated with me. I wouldn't turn down a woman if she had a small/hidden tattoo, but I couldn't see me courting a woman with a visible tattoo.

I've always been into the rockabilly/country/rock music subculture, always been lots of tatted up greasers and cowboys in that crowd. I know one heavily-inked country guy who recently said to me "I miss the days when tattoos were looked down on and not every asshole had them." :laughter:

I'm open to dating women with a few tattoos, because I'd be cancelling out a whole lotta' women if I wasn't lol.

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
View attachment 41808

Tattoos are pretty common in evangelism these days - both with the guys and the girls.

MrsD

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
I find tattoos helpful. They quickly label the person as problematic or damaged somehow. The exact reason why the person has one may vary but it’s never because they have good discernment, a strong Christian upbringing with a family led by a wise father etc. I always am a bit more on eggshells around a person with tattoos, treat them gingerly. I feel like they’re akin to markings on venomous or poisonous animals. The person subconsciously wants me to be on alert.

I have always found tattoos ugly and never for half a second wanted one. I confess I am confused by the ubiquity of them except as a symptom of the overall degradation of our times.

MrsD

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
If I had tattoos was a question my now husband had for me very early on. It was one of his probable dealbreakers. Same for me.

MajorStyles

Pelican
Catholic
In a strange way, modern tattoos are a blessing in disguise (especially excessive tattoos). Years ago, you might have wasted months/years trying to get to know a person, only to find out that you're incompatible with their Weltanschauung. Now, the excesssive tattoos are a clear sign that you don't even need to bother getting to know them. So it saves you time.