Why do women get tattoos?

Ah_Tibor

Pelican
Woman
Orthodox
I've never seen that though I have some get phrases in Hebrew tattooed. Funny thing is that you never see them get cross tattoos. It seems like it's mostly secular people or cultural Christians that get those.

About half our friends have some kind of religious/Slavonic tattoo (of varying quality). I've also seen quite a few tattoos of dead relatives on people; even though it's not my cup of tea, I don't see it as a moral failing.

I think it's a more interesting question why they are so culturally acceptable, which probably has to do with atomization. But it's not always a question of "here is a tattoo, this person is crazy." Judging people by their actions is more useful (and the eyes are always the gateway to the soul ).

earam8778

Banned
Catholic
NPC syndrome, monkey see monkey do.
For women, its usually an array of psychological issues, either trying to make themselves look ugly because of a trauma. Seeking attention from men (daddy issues), but finding that attention from the wrong type of guy, who usually just sees themselves as easy.
I would also add conformity and stupidity. They think they're fighting the patriarchy by making themselves uglier and going against beauty standards. and stupidity because they listen and follow feminist influencers who are also broken individuals doing similar things.
I would also add that most people see it has something that makes them stand out. They want to seem interesting or cool, also known as vanity

Last edited:

earam8778

Banned
Catholic
I see tattoos on women as one in a cluster of symptoms which come standard with the present day "disease" that seems to be afflicting so many nowadays. Those are usually an early sign of an underlying dysfunction or mental anguish the person is dealing with. As a public school educator, I see this progression in high school kids, usually girls. First come the tats (before the age of 18 they would just draw on themselves with a black Sharpie marker), then comes the hair--crazy green/purple colors, chopped short, often an under shave or a weird side shave, then they proclaim themselves as bi-sexual, then gay, the next stage is transgender which usually culminates in a suicide attempt and ending up in a psychiatric ward.
where are the parents?

coldpillow

Banned
Protestant
Women think it's cool or cute or something. they think it makes them look good, when in reality it makes them look like complete trash. (Well, actually they kinda do become trash as a result).

I remember reading pdf which basically said tattoos are a demonic doorway.

Pray_Everyday

Robin
Woman
Other Christian
When I was 18 I got a small tattoo, and to be completely honest, at the time I wanted to get more (I'm talking like a large portrait covering my entire back) - the only reason I did not is because I was broke. The reason why I did it was because I was in rebellion (and society wasn't at the point it is now where it's more rebellious to not get one) and (wrongly) believed that it was "artistic". I also wanted to "prove" I could handle it (I'm cringing as I write this).

I look back on it as a blessing in disguise that I was so broke, as it prevented me from further making dumb decisions. God was looking out for me, even when I was in direct rebellion against Him.
I judge someone with tattoo markings assuming they could be either previously rebellious or presently unrepentant or presently repentant.

Anyone who repents of rebellion is to be accepted into fellowship of those who are in Christ.

I know of men who have repented and still have tattoos. I don't care whether the tattooed person wants to or not get them removed. That's their preference.

For the repentant tattood person, it is a witness of both an unrepentant past and a repentant present. It becomes a providential opportunity, a Cross roads to witness and testify the gospel power unto salvation, to have the Holy Spirit work in the heart(mind) of the one being evangelized.
These are some points I've been wondering about.

At a church we attended we were greeted at the door by a man who was covered in tattoos - everything that wasn't covered by his suit (hands, neck, face) had tattoos on it, including some occult symbols. I admit my initial urge was to turn around and run. We didn't, eventually heard his testimony, and he is repentant (not just of the tattoos, but other wrong choices he's made in his life).

But I did wonder, knowing that others may judge them based on choices they've made in the past and have repented of, should a Christian remove any tattoos that can't be covered up?

Based on some of the responses in this thread, I almost think that if they get them removed others will believe that they are being deceitful, since we are to be judged by our past regardless of our present repentance...

When I started to get tattoos, it was because I was lost and I wanted to fit in with the lefty/artsy/punk rock degenerates that I pretended to be friends with. I was clearly unwell
I could have written this myself, with the exception that I only got that one tattoo I could afford.

Every time I look in the mirror I cringe at my tattoos. I don’t actually have that many and they are small and easy to hide..

On that note, I have my first laser tattoo removal tomorrow.
I often forget that I even have my tattoo, but when I remember I feel profound sadness. I definitely do not want my kids to notice it, and think that it is acceptable.

That said, my husband is concerned it's worse for my physical health if I get it removed (something about the ink being trapped in the skin as opposed to traveling thru the bloodstream and crossing into the brain), so it appears I'm stuck with the consequences of my stupid actions.

Funny thing is that you never see them get cross tattoos. It seems like it's mostly secular people or cultural Christians that get those.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between an evangelical and a cultural Christian? Evangelical mostly refers to the megachurch crowd, correct? I've seen that type of people get cross tattoos, as well as Bible verses.

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
^ Evangelical would be the non-denominational types. They will emphasize having a personal relationship with Christ and express a distaste for what they call "religion". By "religion" they are talking about rituals (which they see as empty), formality, a strictly defined hierarchy in church organization, etc. You'll find them in megachurches but also in smaller churches. These churches typically will be independent and not part of a large denomination.

Cultural Christians are people who will identify as Christian when asked about their religion and they will usually go through certain initiation rites such as baptism, confirmation, having a church wedding but they otherwise don't practice regularly (ie. they don't got to church regularly). For them being Christian is mostly just about culture and tradition. If they are Catholic or Orthodox then a lot of times it'll also be tied into their ethnic identity. Think of some of the Polish, Italian, etc. people you know who would call themselves Christians but they don't seem to be really involved in any sort of faith related activities.

Outside of tattoos, something kinda interesting I noticed is that it's usually Catholics that will wear cross jewelry while a lot of them these non-denomination evangelicals won't. This isn't necessary a sign of fervent faith though. I remember when the Jersey Shore guys would decorate themselves with rosaries and cross jewelry when they were out clubbing and they specifically said these things were "jewelry not religion".

Amata

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Sometimes it's a interest in creativity. Well that's what people say anyway. And, to be fair, some tattoo artists do create some amazing work. However, ultimately the biggest reason people, and in this case women specifically, get tattoos is social normalisation. They do it because... that's what all these other people are doing, and so feel a need to fit in. And maybe it's not even conscious social conformity, but rather unthinking behaviour because it's so ubiquitous that no one is really putting any deep thought into it, but rather just going with the tide.

I've never seen the appeal in getting tattoos myself. I can appreciate the artistic talent because, as stated above, some tattoo artists are very good. I've sometimes, briefly, entertained the idea of something small maybe but it's never truly been a serious consideration. To be honest, if I want art I'll buy a picture, not have it etched into myself .

I remember when I was a teenager in a school class (this is going back to around 2010), other girls (aged about 14-15 btw) discussing what tattoos they were going to get as if it was completely normal and not getting one was weird. I was thought a bit weird I guess because I didn't have any interest in them. And that was in around 2009-2011, and there were not as much tattoos as there is now, so I wonder how much more normalised this is now.

My father always speaks negatively of women getting tattoos (and my granddad did too tbh), so that influence is why I've never seriously considered it. This makes a difference.

That said, I think small pieces in a sensible place (I.e. not on the face, neck etc) are not the end of the world, but certainly the majority would not get even these if it were not so normalised. It's just that some people seem to get an addiction and can't stop getting more and that's when you wonder what's going on there.

Last edited:

FutureCatLady

Sparrow
Woman
Catholic
Don’t have any tattoos but almost every other woman I know has one. Back in the day it was a way to attract the bad boy, a tough guy. Now it’s just another trend that won’t go away.

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I would like to ask the Ladies (or any men who have direct knowledge) why women get tattoos. IMO, any tattoo, no matter how small, mars the natural beauty endowed by God and calls to mind sailors on the High Seas who needed tattoos to aid their loved ones in resting assured that they were dead. Not a good association for my libido!

Can I assume safely that most of the women who get whole sleeves and other large tattoos are lesbians?

A personal confession. I have a habit of checking women out for their beauty which probably exceeds what would be advised by my confessor. Whenever the tattoo gets in focus, I avert my gaze because the tattoo ruins the beauty for me. Can I assume that for some women this is not a bug but a feature: the tattoo is a way of saying to the world "Grrrrr! I am not going to let you enjoy my beauty. I do not consent!". Maybe tattoos are God's way of preventing us from ogling.

Obviously the more visible the tattoo the more pronounced this effect would be. I guess some women might do a small tattoo in a private area for their husband. Some men find tattoos to be hot I suppose. But, duh, it's going to look ridiculous on you when you're a grandmother.
I dont like the idea of my wife getting a little tatoo in her private area, so some other guy (the tatoo artist) is going to be leaning over my wifes body for a few hours while doing this tatoo? No thanks

Owlet

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
Not tattoos, but why do some women - even apparently serious ones - wear a silver ring in their nose?
Does it have a particular meaning?

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Not tattoos, but why do some women - even apparently serious ones - wear a silver ring in their nose?
It’s literal: they’re cattle. Maybe *they* see it in some other way but that piercing is a way of taming cattle (bulls). It’s called a “bullring.”

Last edited:

pureblood

Sparrow
Orthodox
Women have worn jewelry as a status symbol but also for beautification according to their culture throughout history. For example, small pearls signifying tears of mourning in Victorian England to the wearing of a wedding band to indicate a person is married. However, the septum piercing jewelry represents the opposite end, like the naughty side of the spectrum. Ironically, the septum rings are also used on pigs to keep them from rooting around in the mud.

Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.
-Proverbs 11:22
pigsnout.jpg

Owlet

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
It’s literal: they’re cattle. Maybe *they* see it in some other way but that piercing is a way of taming cattle (bulls). It’s called a “bullring.”
Actually, I meant in their nostril, not the septum, but it probably amounts to the same thing.
Submission to their partner? - but what if they have no partner?

messaggera

Pelican
Woman
Other Christian
Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.
-Proverbs 11:22

Really speaks to modesty in speech. Modesty in appearance is one thing, but if her speech lacks discretion is she really upholding feminine standards? Appealing to the eyes, but not the ears.
why do some women - even apparently serious ones - wear a silver ring in their nose?

Uncanny. The mom of two four doors down just put a ring on the side of her nose. Why I do not know. There are a lot of parenting and marital issues going on so we keep the family in our daily prayers. It is difficult because the children play with one another and the child is manipulative and dark at times. The oldest child dictates / sets the tone in the house.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Actually, I meant in their nostril, not the septum, but it probably amounts to the same thing.
Submission to their partner? - but what if they have no partner?
In other cultures, I think it’s sometimes for spiritual reasons or just their customs, in general, that have different significance depending on the population group. In the West, however, I think Urban Dictionary sums it up pretty well:
A piercing that makes one look like a mentally retarded bovine. Entitled first-world fauxhemians often get one to seem "unique", "edgy", and/or "outrageous". Arm yourself with caution, as they may bore you to death with diatribes about "cisgendered norms", "the patriarchy", and how monogamy is wrong if you enter their proximity.