Will Travel Ever 'Normalize'?

Jaydublin

Pelican
Just speculating on this topic but I remember 6-12 month before the pandemic there was a discussion on this forum about how open the world had become, how new this was and that it might not last. Since the fall of the USSR and communism globally, then with the internet, international travel became very easy for much of the world. Locals in most of the world loved the travelers and money they brought at first but have grown tired of it and their local culture being destroyed.

In the last decade or so even people from the 3rd world joined in the international travel crazy. International travel photos became status symbols. I have friends from Mexico who spend 1/3 their yearly salary on travel to Europe.

I am thinking this pre cover style travel is mostly over, even longer term like 10-15 years. After that we will have AR/VR.

Something like a health passport(not just vaccine, but health) will become a thing and while I do not like this, it could help slow globalism and keep cultures from westernizing so fast. Countries will want to know more about who is coming in, possibly even criminal records. They may stop being cheap whores for the western dollar.

Imagine how hard it will be to travel with a family or group if each person has to prove they are not sick before travel and before going home. Not worth the risk. regional, domestic travel will boom. Possibility of quarantines as well.

Anyway, what does everyone else think? Am I crazy and are we going back to normal in 3-5 years? Or possibly a complete global lockdown with regional travel only?

Meraki

Sparrow
In all honesty, less travel will lead to more nationalism aka true diversity (as long as it’s enforced from a perspective of price control & not vaxx passports)

Last couple years were amazing in how you could just show up to an airport, get a ticket and be on the otherside of the world in an ABNB in a matter of hours.

However, it seems the glorious westerners travelling abroad era is close to overstaying its welcome. Work from home has also eliminated the need for many in-person business conferences. Flying the new sales reps out for their first trip? Forget it. Sending employees to regional seminars & booking hotels? Save the money.

Add to it that people who have used their time wisely, likely are waking up to the fact that the majority of their efforts are just making their bosses closer to their dreams & enriching them, more than they’ll ever advance themselves. So working long days in a cubicle seems pretty numbered.

I‘m willing to bet travel within the country will boom, but there will be a 1-2yr grace period of Karen-enforced certificates and travel documents. Regional will be fine for vacation or visiting family. International will be a pain. Cmon - they’re not serving food or bev and making people wear masks, despite the fact it’s the one environment where everyone has definitive “proof” they are rona free.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
I think that it will be very restricted in the foreseeable future. But there might be a few airlines and countries also that resist. Some countries might want to attract the tourist who are of the no-vaccination conviction, and similarly with airlines. The problem is that it might be so few people that are actually like that in the end, that there is little business to be made from allowing those into your country and onto your planes.

There could also be that the regulations will simply not allow for this to happen. In this day and age, with so many international treaties and organizations, (including the EU and the FAA etc.) there is not much wiggle room for those who want to resist any centralized agenda. Ryanair might talk tough on this issue, but what use is that if they are simply not allowed to fly unless they show proof of vaccination from their passengers. I hope that there will be some opportunities left in terms of travel for the unwashed (unvaccinated) masses, but I have little hope that this will be the case at the moment. Putin has hinted that he sees vaccinations as something that must remain voluntary, but that is of minimal value unless you can actually get to Russia in the first place.

lev1n

Chicken
Depends on the individual.

Soon you will be required to have a vaccine passport to travel internationally, which means you will have to put up with their annual mystery vaccines. These passports, implemented for your own safety of course, will at some point become digital, adding yet another dimension to globohomo's ways of surveillance. For anybody who doesn't want this, the days of free travel are bassically over.

For the normies however, nothing much will change. Those who still have their finances in tact will probably give in to it so they can continue to consoom holidays to fancy places for Instagram likes.

Eusebius Erasmus

Woodpecker
In all honesty, less travel will lead to more nationalism aka true diversity (as long as it’s enforced from a perspective of price control & not vaxx passports)

Last couple years were amazing in how you could just show up to an airport, get a ticket and be on the otherside of the world in an ABNB in a matter of hours.

However, it seems the glorious westerners travelling abroad era is close to overstaying its welcome. Work from home has also eliminated the need for many in-person business conferences. Flying the new sales reps out for their first trip? Forget it. Sending employees to regional seminars & booking hotels? Save the money.

Add to it that people who have used their time wisely, likely are waking up to the fact that the majority of their efforts are just making their bosses closer to their dreams & enriching them, more than they’ll ever advance themselves. So working long days in a cubicle seems pretty numbered.

I‘m willing to bet travel within the country will boom, but there will be a 1-2yr grace period of Karen-enforced certificates and travel documents. Regional will be fine for vacation or visiting family. International will be a pain. Cmon - they’re not serving food or bev and making people wear masks, despite the fact it’s the one environment where everyone has definitive “proof” they are rona free.
This is a naive viewpoint.

There might be less travel, but you can bet on more immigration. The Canadian government is openly welcoming 400,000 immigrants this year alone.

To claim that the Great Reset will lead to more nationalism means you're missing the big picture.

Enoch

Ostrich
Stadiums are already having "vaccinated" and "unvaccinated" seating areas.

As soon as enough people are vaccinated that commercial enterprises can require vaccination to participate without losing significant revenue, then that will happen.

IMO yes Travel will normalize for those who take the vaccine. Those who do not take the vaccine should be thinking about how to rely less on the system. If international or even domestic plane travel is a big part of your life resisting the jab will be tough.

Meraki

Sparrow
My bad - I should specify. I live in the 3rd world, and there is a definite shift towards propagating their culture, movies, TV series, music, actors etc above or into Western stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s consumerism for the developing world. But it’s got a sort of “youre supporting Nepal when you listen to Curtis Waters!” Or “Alia Bhatt is strong, independent, and a better actress than Natalie Portman!” Do I need to even go into K-pop?

On the ground floor people see it as a bit of national pride, especially with athletes and it’s definitely a proxy for “hey we can do that too!” Cheering on their rich people the way Americans do for Jordan, Tom Cruise, Kobe etc. It‘s just that for the longest time, the whole world was cheering those same idols, but that is starting to shift.

Add in the fact that Asian & ME countries have growing middle classes, and apps coming out every week to get into BTC, US & Euro forex and stock markets, and western colleges franchising out online courses or even opening campuses abroad, immigration will only be reserved for the poorest of poor day labor. These populations will be traveling within their own region, Thailand, Dubai, Sri Lanka, Mumbai, Abu Dhabi for cheaper, with improving service and less restriction than going to London or whatever.

That sort of international travel is dead and the only foreigners eyeing it are boomer idiots who haven’t caught up to the world and see places like London & Paris as magic soil holy lands.

I‘m not missing the big picture.

The Great Reset will be largely embraced by normies and most developing countries won’t care one way or another. They’ll get capitalism with a bit more taxes, and all theyll get from Klaus is the occaional QR code or app download, but that will be so poorly enforced and so poorly initiated in places like the ME Thailand or India - particularly because those places are going to want to try their own version due to national pride, and they’ll mess it up because organisation is not in their nature. The US and Canada will get immigration, and that’s going to continue the divide and conquer in the West, but overseas that won’t happen and Eastern middle class will be travelling and no longer worshipping the Western world.

Mephianse

Chicken
I am from Mexico, we have great beaches, lakes, mountains, food etc. It might be a third world country but the good parts are good enough for me. I have traveled to Japan, Switzerland, Italy and besides the occasional good food and pretty landscapes there is nothing to be really excited about.

Also, if they start asking for vaccine certificates to travel by plane locally, it will be easy to get a fake one, so I am not too worry about it. My advice is to get to know your country by road.

Blade Runner

Pelican
The best of all scenarios would be the elimination of the middle to low class "seekers" from slightly more advanced economies (the wanderers) that just clogged up the places, so that travel and tourism is markedly diminished but for those that can afford it, and mean it. Sorry if that is harsh, but it would be more legitimate and it would be far more helpful to all those who truly want to go and get something out of a country, or fit into said country. If travel is finally novel and has major barriers, the people who set that as a goal will be linked with being both able financially, and those for whom it is actually important. A flip side of this (negative) would be that you could more easily be a mark not mixing in with the sea of people. But the benefit of being instant value when walking off the plane (for those who might be interested, not everyone in host country X) would probably be worth it.

Oz.

Pelican
I don't think it will, just now I was watching some Spanish news and they were going on about vaccination cards. Saying how important it is to not lose it, etc. They were heavily hinting how in the future it will be needed to enter restaurants and even travel, it is the new passport.

Normies will be normies, but, a large majority of people will not get the vaccine and I doubt being able to travel abroad is going to change their mind. Companies will either find a workaround or lose a lot of money.

Blade Runner

Pelican
There will be multiple workarounds beyond black market links or cards. The dumb people will still just do stuff out of convenience. I see even professionals at their workplaces sign off on so many things, not thinking a second about them (that's why they love women drone workers) that it's scary. Mostly this is the social aspect of people and conformity which is taken high advantage of. The population at large has shown me that they are at an all time low in my estimation, respect wise. I think skeptics and critical thinkers are down to at least 3-4% in the west at this point.

I don't see AR/VR taking off. People still enjoy the exclusivity that comes with being able to travel. COVID has made things more of a pain, but it hasn't made travel impossible - you have to do actual work. In my case, I have some travel destinations planned this year: anywhere that merely requires a PCR or Antibody test.

Does that limit my options? Yes, but who would want to visit the pathetic country of the UK, Canada or Australia? I've been to none of those, and reading the news, I don't think I ever want to set foot in either.

Will it normalize? partially, yes, I would say. Anywhere that isn't the UK or EU, sure.

Those who say we're going to have soviet-style restrictions on travel, I'm not saying it's not possible, but I just don't see even the most extreme case being possible. My reason? If ONLY air freight and domestic flights are permitted, that would increase the cost of fuel, which the elites use, to fuel their rape planes. It's a two-way street, even for the elites.

You cannot end commercial air-travel, or restrict it, without not affecting the cost of operating your precious fleet of private small aircraft. The entire modern air economy is based off commercial travel, hell, even the gulf stream small jets were an off shoot of that. It's not as simple as we'd like to think.

Potential for more bullshit? yes. An entire ban? not possible. We'll probably have some form of social credit, or QR tracking, but I don't believe they would pull something that drastic in front of the peasants.

DanielH

Pelican
We have an entire generation being raised under this "new normal" thinking that germs are just the scariest thing ever and all life and wealth comes from government so no, nothing will ever get back to normal. 2 year olds on flights and in churches are forced to wear masks. That is pure evil, and that is "normal" now. I was just on a 6 hour flight with a toddler who was screaming for what seemed like the entire flight while wearing a mask. I'd be screaming too. Lord have mercy on that kid, he was fighting the covid regime more than most of us have.

Easy_C

Peacock
These populations will be traveling within their own region, Thailand, Dubai, Sri Lanka, Mumbai, Abu Dhabi for cheaper, with improving service and less restriction than going to London or whatever.
This is the key point.

A lot of what was driving Euro capital cities previously was rich Asians and Arabs coming in to buy luxury goods and services. During business school we met with a major luxury brand where a manager commented that Paris was “turning into Disney World for Arabs”.

In the current environment why on earth would they go to London, New York, or Paris where the restrictions are draconian and many of the businesses are either permanently or temporarily closed when you could go to Dubai where everything is open and there’s just token mask wearing in public areas?

Last edited: