Will you take the vaccine?

Blade Runner

Pelican
Someone close to me just got the vaccine, a self-described “devout Catholic” as well. Now all I hear from this person is how I should “just get it so we can all move on!” Really reminds me of people who make choices they feel conflicted about and try to get as many people to join them so they can rationalize their behavior.

This “pandemic” has really exposed a lot of lukewarm and cultural Christians. I’ve seen a good share of so-called Christians turn into absolute chicken livers from fear of COVID and dying. It’s very interesting.
Yes, we are certainly seeing the fruits of a generation where a lot has been spent, done, or find out how to extend life - and the associated softness with a more bubble-ized world. Some very devoted people who even taught me growing up and for whom I have respect have sadly caused doubt now since this certainly is at least a type of test. I also think the softness in the west since the 1960s has also led to stressing the social aspects of life (harmony) as opposed to the principled ones - this of course occurs in an increasingly feminized society. That's the type of imbalance you'll get in the depiction or references to Christ in this age. And why I always point out when he was intense, firm, challenging, angry or even mean (usually as a test) to certain people.

Ah_Tibor

Sparrow
I went to school to be a funeral director and had a lot of class time devoted to causes of death--there are always multiple-- and how death is a gradual process as well.

Somebody in another thread pointed out if you grow up around a lot of old people, or in a community, there are periods and seasons where a lot of people you know die. It sucks. But many adults nowadays don't deal with death at all, and being confronted with the fear of it like this leads to the kind of mass hysteria we're seeing, or just the erroneous belief that if people die, it's a failure. My mom worked in nursing homes when I was a kid and once had four people die on one shift. Nurses deal with all kinds of human suffering on a daily basis (but now they get free coffee and a high-five or something).

NoFunInAus

Woodpecker
I went to school to be a funeral director and had a lot of class time devoted to causes of death--there are always multiple-- and how death is a gradual process as well.

Somebody in another thread pointed out if you grow up around a lot of old people, or in a community, there are periods and seasons where a lot of people you know die. It sucks. But many adults nowadays don't deal with death at all, and being confronted with the fear of it like this leads to the kind of mass hysteria we're seeing, or just the erroneous belief that if people die, it's a failure. My mom worked in nursing homes when I was a kid and once had four people die on one shift. Nurses deal with all kinds of human suffering on a daily basis (but now they get free coffee and a high-five or something).
Modern day "adults" are yesteryear's children.

Caractacus Potts

Woodpecker
Gold Member

Growing up in an Irish Catholic family I went to a lot of wakes and funerals as a kid; grandparents, great aunts, people you never knew but yet your family did. Lot of nursing home visits for those same people as well. When I got married my ex-wife had never been to a wake or funeral before her mother died and to the best of my knowledge she has never been back to visit the grave site. We really do inhabit different worlds/views from a great many of our countrymen. My ex is taking the kung flu very seriously too, according to my daughter.

dragonfire00

Sparrow
This “pandemic” has really exposed a lot of lukewarm and cultural Christians. I’ve seen a good share of so-called Christians turn into absolute chicken livers from fear of COVID and dying. It’s very interesting.
I've been a bit saddened by this too, but also I'm glad we're all finding this out now as I know when things get worse that they aren't to be trusted. I'm not sure how one can be a Christian and be in fear of death...if you trust God you know that everything is part of his plan, if you get Covid and die it's supposed to happen, you can't change it, and you'll be in heaven anyway.

Also getting tired of seeing conversations devolve (this is mostly on the internet obviously) into someone throwing a fit stating their co-workers, moms's best friend died from Covid and therefore how DARE you go to that restaurant! There's tons of people using casual aquaintances or work buddy's family members for Covid attention when before it wouldn't be mentioned.

Lamkins

Robin
I've been a bit saddened by this too, but also I'm glad we're all finding this out now as I know when things get worse that they aren't to be trusted. I'm not sure how one can be a Christian and be in fear of death...if you trust God you know that everything is part of his plan, if you get Covid and die it's supposed to happen, you can't change it, and you'll be in heaven anyway.

Also getting tired of seeing conversations devolve (this is mostly on the internet obviously) into someone throwing a fit stating their co-workers, moms's best friend died from Covid and therefore how DARE you go to that restaurant! There's tons of people using casual aquaintances or work buddy's family members for Covid attention when before it wouldn't be mentioned.

Death doesn’t worry me too much, but how I die causes me concern. I wonder if an expression of a fear of death is really fear of the process. Yet I do know it’s His will, whatever it may be. I tend to devolve emotionally at the end of the day where things get to me that weren’t bothering me earlier. Tonight I’ve been anxious about the blatant anti-conservative/christian stuff going on. But under that anxiety is a feeling of peace. God is assuring me He will be there for me when I need it for whatever reason.

Brewer

Pigeon

third_eldest

Sparrow
I don't know how "credible" the Ron Paul Institute is (really no idea who to "trust" these days), but already knowing that things like this happen... wouldn't be surprised at all.
I've followed Ron Paul since his campaigns for president in 2008-2012. I will bet my life on this man and his commitment to truth and freedom. He was OBGYN for many years. His reputation as a congressman was that of absolute incorruptibility. He has constantly attacked the federal reserve, crony wars, and assaults on the freedom of the American populace pretty much whenever a microphone is in front of him. He has done so much to wake people up and I wholeheartedly affirm he is a trustworthy source.

Gimlet

Kingfisher
A Nursing Home had Zero Coronavirus Deaths. Then, It Vaccinates Residents for Coronavirus and the Deaths Begin.

Yeah, gonna pass on that vax for now - and by now I mean ever.

I don't know how "credible" the Ron Paul Institute is (really no idea who to "trust" these days), but already knowing that things like this happen... wouldn't be surprised at all.
It's in local news. They downplay the vaccination part, of course.

Lamkins

Robin
My Sister-in-law just got her 2nd dose. Her arm has swelled up and is miserable right now.

She is an RN working in a nursing home which is plagued with WuFlu. She spends her days wrapped up in full PPE.

so far no deaths from patients or staff from the vaccine.

My mom felt so bad for the nurses when she was in the hospital with it. Lots of sweating. I don’t know how they stand it.

Starlight

Robin
Wow... who could’ve seen this coming? :hmm:

Highlights from the article:

“California shelves batch of Moderna vaccines over allergy concerns

California health officials are calling on COVID-19 vaccine providers to stop using a batch of Moderna’s shots after a handful of people who were inoculated at the same site all had allergic reactions.

“All appeared to be experiencing a possible severe allergic reaction during the standard observation period – a type of adverse event that the CDC reports some people have experienced when receiving a COVID-19 vaccine,” the California Department of Public Health said.

Federal officials have previously noted that a few vaccine trial participants who had cosmetic facial fillers suffered side effects.”

Leeloo

Robin
Wow... who could’ve seen this coming? :hmm:

Highlights from the article:

“California shelves batch of Moderna vaccines over allergy concerns

California health officials are calling on COVID-19 vaccine providers to stop using a batch of Moderna’s shots after a handful of people who were inoculated at the same site all had allergic reactions.

“All appeared to be experiencing a possible severe allergic reaction during the standard observation period – a type of adverse event that the CDC reports some people have experienced when receiving a COVID-19 vaccine,” the California Department of Public Health said.

Federal officials have previously noted that a few vaccine trial participants who had cosmetic facial fillers suffered side effects.”

We are receiving Moderna batches in my area and funnily enough, I was planning to use allergic reactions to general inoculation as my excuse to decline if pressed to take the vaccine. This story, and I’m sure many others like it, will perfectly hold up my point of view.

National Vaccine Information Center is a basic search feature to look up COVID vaccine adverse reactions reported, and can be found at this link.

Capture.JPG

The same vaccine adverse data are also found at the following CDC reporting link: The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) Request One can drill down to specific raw data (narrative) reports submitted. Navigating and pulling data can be found here CDC VAERS - how to retrieve data

This is a great learning tool to teach data analysis and statistics to older children - at the same time introducing a "citizenship" question to cultivate critical thinking on a theory.

Lamkins

Robin

Hmmm. I’m really curious. Surely not melting or rearranged fillers. Right?

Beyond Politics — Promoting Covid-19 Vaccination in the United States

The New England Journal of Medicine [link]

Despite widespread suffering from Covid-19, credible surveys indicate that the proportion of the U.S. population willing to be vaccinated has fluctuated from 72% in May to 51% in September and 60% in November; of the 39% of respondents who indicated that they probably or definitely would not get the vaccine, only 46% said they might be open to vaccination once others start getting it and more information becomes available.

These findings underscore the tremendous undertaking facing vaccine communication teams, who must persuade many of these people to be vaccinated if we’re to achieve the vaccination rate — as high as 80% — needed to return to normalcy.

Persuade to achieve - [marketing strategy]

Capture.JPG

joost

Kingfisher
COVID-19-survival-rates.jpg

If I had more than 70 years and were in the risk population (fat, diabetes, gay/HIV) I would think about it. Since I'm not, I prefer to stay away.

I don't have anything against vaccines. But only the ones with a good track-record. Not this COVID-vaccine that came out in a rush. I could be wrong but like I said, I'm not in the risk bracket so I don't have to be concerned.