Wim Hof

Tardynox

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Are there people here who follow Wim Hof here? I for a fact used to but then I slowly found out that perhaps his practices aren't really safe for a Christian to emulate.

For those who don't know, Wim Hof is a guy from the Netherlands who is well known for his ability to resist extreme temperatures, he is mainly known for his ability to resist the cold, but also doesn't really feel anything in the heat. For example he once ran a marathon in the scorching heat of the Namibian desert without drinking a single drop of water, along with a number of other feats which would seem unachievable to any man. All this he says he achieved by his own techniques, which is called the "Wim Hof Method".

The "Wim Hof Method", or WHM in short, comprises of three "powerful pillars" as he calls them, which are: Breathing, "Cold Therapy", and Commitment. The main troubling part here is the breathing, because it is seen as some form of meditation. On his own website he says this: "Note that WHM breathing can affect motor control and, in rare cases, lead to loss of consciousness." This alone may seem a little suspicious, could it be that you are possibly inviting demons by practicing this which affect your state of being, and in rare cases lead to total loss of control? A full explanation of the workings behind his techniques can be found on his website.

And while he does give somewhat of a vague explanation of what he believes is God, he also has a Buddha in his backyard, and he himself seems to have dived deep into the occult in the past, and his techniques apparently stem from ancient Tibetan and Hindu practices. He also says that he can influence his immune system and autonomous nervous system.

I've seen people on this forum praise him before, but I do wonder what everyone's thoughts are on this, because this all does seem kind of suspicious.

Arturo80

Sparrow
Orthodox
Always seemed something of a one-weird-trick huxster to me.

Charismatic guy, has an emotive story to how he stumbled upon the benefits of his practice, talks how by consuming his online product (many paywalls and premium layers, it seems), you too can benefit from this amazing ancient hidden technology if you buy his stuff, and attend his premium seminars and workshops!

People need to be buy in (literally, as well as metaphorically) to benefit.

Having parted with a large sum of money, the placebo kicks in bigtime.

Maybe this stuff helps people, i dont know, but it all seems a bit dubious to me.

Tardynox

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Always seemed something of a one-weird-trick huxster to me.

Charismatic guy, has an emotive story to how he stumbled upon the benefits of his practice, talks how by consuming his online product (many paywalls and premium layers, it seems), you too can benefit from this amazing ancient hidden technology if you buy his stuff, and attend his premium seminars and workshops!

People need to be buy in (literally, as well as metaphorically) to benefit.

Having parted with a large sum of money, the placebo kicks in bigtime.

Maybe this stuff helps people, i dont know, but it all seems a bit dubious to me.
Oh yeah, when I just looked at his site I saw a few courses, of which one was free, one costed a 100 dollars, one costed 300 dollars and another one costed 470 dollars. On his event page I came across this:

"Some events will incorporate related disciplines that work in synergy with the Wim Hof Method, such as yoga or jiu jitsu. These can be identified by their corresponding icons."

JuanChristophorus

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
I did the Wim Hof breathing method on and off and it has its benefits. My lung capacity, relaxation and focus increased, testosterone got boosted and my voice became deeper. As with any meditation, you have to focus and not be emotional for it to work properly. What Wim Hof is advertising is the Fire Breathing technique of Yoga and calls it his method. It helps him to reach a big audience, which would scare off people of other religions. This technique is legit but one should be careful using this and other DMT-release techniques. If your diaphragm was always tense and becomes soft through doing this exercise, it can invite demons. If you are not used to feel spontaneity of emotions, it can destabilize your psyche.

papashango

Sparrow
Non-Christian
I can sense this forum edging more and more towards fundamentalism. Keep seeing posts about "so and so is demonic/satanic" etc

When you're accusing a guy like Wim Hof of these things, I think you've gone wrong somewhere...

Lithuanian Bear

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
I saw a video of him and his family discussing hs daredevilish acts. They were pleading him to not do a stunt that would potentially kill hm. Hanging with one finger between two air balloons if i remember correctly. The wife was crying and he didnt seem to care. Filled with self importance and pride as if demonicly possessed. At the time I didnt have a christian perspective. However even then I knew that whatever this man has to teach is not worth it. solely on his character alone. When devil/demon or the possessed offers you help. No matter how enticing it may be. It is never for your benefit.

JuanChristophorus

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
I saw a video of him and his family discussing hs daredevilish acts. They were pleading him to not do a stunt that would potentially kill hm. Hanging with one finger between two air balloons if i remember correctly. The wife was crying and he didnt seem to care. Filled with self importance and pride as if demonicly possessed. At the time I didnt have a christian perspective however even then I knew that whatever this man has to teach is not worth it. solely on his character alone. When devil/demon or the possessed offers you help. No matter how enticing it may be. It is never for your benefit.
Can you post the video? He only mentions that his wife committed suicide but never says why.

Tardynox

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
I can sense this forum edging more and more towards fundamentalism. Keep seeing posts about "so and so is demonic/satanic" etc

When you're accusing a guy like Wim Hof of these things, I think you've gone wrong somewhere...
Is there something wrong with edging towards fundamentalism though?

Made me think of a certain quote which went along the lines of "if the world becomes wicked, I'll go the other way." Can't recite the exact quote and the person to which it can be attributed.

Lithuanian Bear

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Just listen to the guy. He is telling that she was fulfilled.... Then why the suicide. wim? why? Why are you so happily talking about your dead wife? Talking about his sexual escapades with such vigor. Doesn't sound like he really cared about her. But he might be grieving differently. He doesnt look like he is taking his wife's death seriously

Lithuanian Bear

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Is there something wrong with edging towards fundamentalism though?

Made me think of a certain quote which went along the lines of "if the world becomes wicked, I'll go the other way." Can't recite the exact quote and the person to which it can be attributed.
Stop thinking about nonsensical stuff. Learn about the faith practice the faith and whatever the people call you means nothing if you are practicing your faith correctly.

Lithuanian Bear

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer

People get possessed all the time. They get possessed by an Ideology, Emotion, Desire, physical dependency(addiction, chemical compound). You just stop at that. Christians just take it to the underlying source of these issues. You lack the discernment for it or you are afraid of what it might mean for your life if you admitted such influences existing in the world.

JuanChristophorus

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
Just listen to the guy. He is telling that she was fulfilled.... Then why the suicide. wim? why? Why are you so happily talking about your dead wife? Talking about his sexual escapades with such vigor. Doesn't sound like he really cared about her. But he might be grieving differently. He doesnt look like he is taking his wife's death seriously

But he also mentioned she suffered from severe mental illness. And he speaks with vigor the whole time. He is past a point of suffering since he found a way how to deal with it, and after 26 years and raising your four children alone, you cannot afford to be sad and brokenhearted all the time. He said he only had 50 times sex with his wife in 15 years of marriage which produced four children. That doesn't sound healthy for most but I understand where he's coming from.

Tardynox

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
People get possessed all the time. They get possessed by an Ideology, Emotion, Desire, physical dependency(addiction, chemical compound). You just stop at that. Christians just take it to the underlying source of these issues. You lack the discernment for it or you are afraid of what it might mean for your life if you admitted such influences existing in the world.
Exactly, demonic possesion isn't some rarity and something unique like people make it out to be, but the entire world and it's peoples are often tormented by demonic forces. So long as we stay close to God we are able to resist it.

Lithuanian Bear

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
But he also mentioned she suffered from severe mental illness. And he speaks with vigor the whole time. He is past a point of suffering since he found a way how to deal with it, and after 26 years and raising your four children alone, you cannot afford to be sad and brokenhearted all the time. He said he only had 50 times sex with his wife in 15 years of marriage which produced four children. That doesn't sound healthy for most but I understand where he's coming from
I do not view him as a reliable narrator. I understand he might be exaggerating the story but who counts how many times he has had sex with his wife over 15 years? Also even though i can't find that old old video of him having a conversation with his wife and her crying. You'll just have to take my word for it. That he didnt care for his wife. He was self absorbed. I do not believe that it was only due to mental illness (most likely a combination of neglect from him, emotional stress and mental illness). The way he speaks is unnatural. Thats how I see it. But thats neither here nor there.

I am willing to be wrong, I hope I am.

Easy_C

Peacock
It took me awhile to even discover he had any Eastern influences. Keep in mind he also used to smoke a lot of weed and his "thinking meat" is probably impacted similarly as a result (as George Carlin used to point out, it's a drug that changes how you think).

As far as the breathing technique I've used similar ones before for athletic purposes. Weightlifters use a measured breathing technique to focus and control their efforts while lifting out. Cold exposure is also used for a number of medical reasons. I seem to recall we had a fairly long thread here on the forum about the benefits of cold showers.

It's also something with a running familiarity. For a more recent fictional reference inspired by this kind of thing, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has a breathing technique called "Ripple" that allows the user to harm vampires, zombies, and other creatures that are vulnerable to sunlight.

His techniques aren't quite as innovative as he hypes them up to be, and for the most part they're things we've already discussed by other names here and didn't have much of an issue with. The "don't do this while driving or swimming" warning would, of course, apply.

AHaytch

Sparrow
Non-Christian

He doesn't strike me as a saint. I wouldn't use "demonic" but I do empathise with this perspective. He strikes me more as a huckster.

I'm always very suspicious of his type, and I would include Osho and Sadhguru in that bracket: spurious, "progressive" identities that are able to veil their wisdom so that it chimes with the modernist secular worldview.

Tardynox

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
His temperature resistance could simply be a natural biological gift. Humans are variable.

Meditation is dangerous:
Must be noted that the guy died from something against which was already warned on the Wim Hof site/app, that is that you shouldn't practice the WHM in or near any bodies of water.