Women's voices have gone down an octave

Has anyone else noticed this? Compare "candid" videos from before the 1970s, to videos recorded today. Here are a few examples:

Interviews with teens in the 1960s:

Tiktok featuring a teen with an especially deep voice:

1950 game show with female contestant (jump to 15:47):

Modern game show (jump to 2:16):

I realize that a claim like this is highly susceptible to selection and confirmation bias. But, for the gameshow link, that's the first link youtube showed me when I searched for gameshow.

Also, I'm well aware that I could hunt around and find a modern woman with a higher-pitched voice. Just like I could find a man alive today with high T - but that doesn't disprove the claim that male testosterone levels are declining. I think this observation about women's voices might be related somehow.

And even if I found a modern woman with a high-pitched voice, there's still something else that's missing. I don't know what to call it other than, maybe, "sing-song" - there's just something that has changed in the way they speak. Maybe in the past, every woman was faking that quality because the patriarchy was oppressing them. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Maddox

Woodpecker
I think your hypothesis is correct as I believe the Satanists running our media have "taught" women to talk in a lower register. Women are supposed to speak in the middle register, and some from decades ago sounded more like they were in the head register with very light and soft voices. I never hear this kind of voice today.

Nowadays, I believe women speak more in the chest register and then end their sentences in the vocal fry register...something all of us men hate.

Vocal-Registers.png

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member

A study from the University of South Australia published in Journal of Voice showed that women in 1993 have significantly deeper voices than women of the same age recorded in 1945. The researcher studied the voices of two groups of young Australian women by comparing recordings of women talking in 1945 with recordings of women talking in the early 1990s. The team found that the “fundamental frequency” had dropped by 23 Hz over five decades – from an average of 229 Hz (roughly an A# below middle C) to 206 Hz (roughly a G#). This is an audible difference.

Fascinatingly, women in countries with more gender equality speak more deeply than women in countries with more traditional values. Women in the Netherlands, for example, speak lower than women in Japan. It’s possible that in places where women are more independent, female voices are audibly much lower as they compete for resources with men and with each other.

Great thread. I've noticed this as well and have observed how some of these women interact with each other in a corporate setting.

Gavin McInnes said it best when he referred to feminists as sh _ tty men lol. They are like a weird hybrid of a teenage boy and a woman, but without the good qualities of either.

I'd also add that their eyebrows are getting much thicker as well. Worst makeup trend ever.

Women should seek to round off all their rough edges and strive to be as feminine as possible. If men try to out muscle each other and ratchet up their masculinity to compete, you would think the inverse would apply for women -- they would try to elevate their looks, feminine skills, gracefulness, etc. around each other. That was the way until modern feminism destroyed these norms.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Yes, I notice this all the time with American women vs women from other countries. My speculation:

1) Unbalanced toxic American diet causes hormone problems which leads to lower voice.

2) Women aren’t taught to “clean up” and “perfect” their voices by raising it higher, they just talk completely carelessly. It’s the equivalent of walking out the door dressed in your pajamas.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Has anyone else noticed this? Compare "candid" videos from before the 1970s, to videos recorded today. Here are a few examples:

Tiktok featuring a teen with an especially deep voice:

1950 game show with female contestant (jump to 15:47):

Modern game show (jump to 2:16):

I realize that a claim like this is highly susceptible to selection and confirmation bias. But, for the gameshow link, that's the first link youtube showed me when I searched for gameshow.

Also, I'm well aware that I could hunt around and find a modern woman with a higher-pitched voice. Just like I could find a man alive today with high T - but that doesn't disprove the claim that male testosterone levels are declining. I think this observation about women's voices might be related somehow.

And even if I found a modern woman with a high-pitched voice, there's still something else that's missing. I don't know what to call it other than, maybe, "sing-song" - there's just something that has changed in the way they speak. Maybe in the past, every woman was faking that quality because the patriarchy was oppressing them. I don't know.

What do you guys think?
For sure. Just like men's voices have gone up an octave. The sex distinction is breaking down. Soon we will all be just one homogenous nonentity blob.

This is correct. It depends on the country though, it seems like in America it's pretty bad, while here in Western Europe most women still have some femininity and feminine voices.

I remember reading a study some time ago that asserted that because women now compete with men for jobs etc, they take on more masculine qualities, to project power. They talked specifically about how women speak lower now because they have to fit in a world of men, and actually compete with them at work. I do believe this is true, it's some kind of (un)natural evolution.

Nowadays, I believe women speak more in the chest register and then end their sentences in the vocal fry register...something all of us men hate.
Registers are used for singing, they come from operatic singing. Usually people speak with their chest voice, that's our natural, normal speaking voice. Sometimes people speak in their head voice (so higher pitched), for instance when they're surprised or have a strong emotion. This can happen to men as well, if you watch a Wayans movie or other black comedies you will hear it a lot.

Women do not end their sentences in the fry register, fry is a register only men can access. It's a very low, rumbly sound. Listen to some Metal with the growl style of singing, this is using fry I believe. Kinda like this but lower.

If a woman is speaking in the fry register she might be possessed, stay away :)

Also, when comparing voices from women from different eras, make sure to pick women from roughly the same age. This is because when women get menopaused, they start producing more testosterone, therefore their voice becomes lower.

I see children in this video. You can't compare children's voices with teens who are past puberty (or going through it). There's a whole lot of hormonal changes at puberty that heavily affect the voice (I can't see the TikTok video so I'm not sure how old that teen is).

And just to clarify, unless some terrible disease or accident happens to a woman, her voice will not go down an octave. For a man, if his voice goes up an octave, he's probably castrated. An octave is a huge difference, there are 12 notes in an octave. So yes women's voices have gotten lower, enough for it being noticeable, but they have NOT gone down an octave. If they had, we would not look for their company since they would sound lower than us !

Maddox

Woodpecker
Registers are used for singing, they come from operatic singing.

No chicky...they're also used for speaking.

"Modal (or normal or natural or chest) register refers to the natural disposition or manner of actions of the vocal folds. The vast majority of speaking is done in this register - men speak entirely within their chest register, while women speak in both their chest and middle registers."

Women do not end their sentences in the fry register, fry is a register only men can access. It's a very low, rumbly sound. Listen to some Metal with the growl style of singing, this is using fry I believe. Kinda like this but lower.

"Researchers asked 800 participants to listen to voice samples of young men and women saying the phrase: “Thank you for considering me for this opportunity” in both normal register and in vocal fry..."

Solitarius

Sparrow
The inverse of this is also disturbingly common. Many young fellows now-a-days have light voices & feminine patterns of speech. They're not all sodomites, I think that a lot of it is due to the prevalence of fatherlessness now; that & the chemicals with which (((they))) poison the food & water, may God's Justice be upon (((them))).

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Vocal fry seems far more prominent in Australian and American accents than elsewhere. I can't stand it. I will switch off any video or podcast with someone who has it.

I also feel the same about uplift at the end of every sentence???? Again, this has always seemed more prevalent in Australian (especially) and American accents????

Ugh, sounds so weak and unsure.

If people speak like that around me i call them out on it, "sorry, is that a question?".

The old standards of communication have long deteriotated. Watch BBC shows from 60s and 70s, presenters would all have a variation of RP. Now, it's an abomination, of course.

I remember in the early 90s they had a children's tv presenter with a lisp, my stepmother was rightly dismayed at this. I recall thinking, 'why's she getting so annoyed with this', but she was right. He was presenting to young kids, and showing them a very poor manner of speech.

This, of course, has exponentially deterioated to today's nightmare of Pidgin English on the BBC World Service.

The sort of immigration we used to get from Nigeria in the 70s and 80s, were all of their officer class. Doctors, lawyers and such forth. They spoke in RP because they'd listen to World Service and came with almost theatrically good English diction. An example of this was Philips character in Rising Damp.

Now look what the BBC present. Again, no accident. Its all quite Orwellian, the destruction of linguistic standards.

Last edited:
Vocal fry seems far more prominent in Australian and American accents than elsewhere. I can't stand it. I will switch off any video or podcast with someone who has it.

I also feel the same about uplift at the end of every sentence???? Again, this has always seemed more prevalent in Australian (especially) and American accents????

Ugh, sounds so weak and unsure.

If people speak like that around me i call them out on it, "sorry, is that a question?".

The old standards of communication have long deteriotated. Watch BBC shows from 60s and 70s, presenters would all have a variation of RP. Now, it's an abomination, of course.

Now look what the BBC present. Again, no accident. Its all quite Orwellian, the destruction of linguistic standards.
The kids here in the UK are adopting more and more American speech patterns every year. Traditional English pronunciations and words have been almost entirely replaced. While the uplift isn't common here, there is a huge increase in filler words like starting sentences with "so" making speech much less direct and more feminine.

Can't say i'm concerned with the decline of Recieved Pronunciation. It is objectively not a great form of English, pronouncing none existent r's after a, a's that sound like e's, oo's that sound like ur's, lack of distinction between similar words. As a Northern English person I find it irritating when foreigners mistake me for being Scottish or occasionally Irish/Scandinavian because I don't fit their false stereotype of what an English person should sound like. Americans seem to think all English people should sound like the Queen or some extreme caricature of cockney, when barely over 10% of us do.

The masculinization pushed onto them by culture and by the hormone shenanigans of birth control combine:
So far, so good. But though the hormones are effective at preventing pregnancy, they aren’t perfect matches for our natural hormones. The end result is that these synthetic versions also have effects that you would never get from raw progesterone. […]

The women were sweatier, hairier and spottier. Some noticed that their voices had deepened. Nearly one in five baby girls born to mothers taking it had masculinised genitals.
Some of these unlucky children required surgery.

In recent years, scientists have started to realise that the brains of women on the pill look fundamentally different. Compared to women who aren’t taking hormones, some regions of their brains seem to be more typically ‘male’.
Another link:

Last edited:

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
The kids here in the UK are adopting more and more American speech patterns every year. Traditional English pronunciations and words have been almost entirely replaced. While the uplift isn't common here, there is a huge increase in filler words like starting sentences with "so" making speech much less direct and more feminine.

The vocabulary has been going that way for years. "Can i get" instead of "can i have" when ordering food / drinks, always particulary annoyed me.

Another thing i cant abide is Americans need to put 'ass' on to word to add emphasis. Big-ass house, old-ass car, bad-ass etc. That's coming more prevalent in UK and global speech, and it always sounds so culturally low to me. On that note, British people saying 'ass' instead of 'arse' too.

The thing with RP is at least it gave a universal standard for the media and government. It was seen as a standard upper class English, and although perhaps its history is something false, it did at least maintain linguistic standards.

What amazes me (but really doesnt frankly), is how little is ever mentioned about how the Cockney or traditional London accent all but disappeared from the capital around the millenium. It's extraordinary how quickly it went. In one generation kids where i grew up (south east london) seemed to go from the old SE London accent, to Blairistani.

Remarkable, and shows the cultural collapse at the heart of our country.

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Is this an accurate representation of vocal fry? Wow, I dislike it. It's so lazy and disrespectful. I think a lot of people on the West Coast talk this way.