Women's voices have gone down an octave

Maddox

Woodpecker
Another thing i cant abide is Americans need to put 'ass' on to word to add emphasis. Big-ass house, old-ass car, bad-ass etc. That's coming more prevalent in UK and global speech, and it always sounds so culturally low to me. On that note, British people saying 'ass' instead of 'arse' too.

Yes, I hate that trend too. Low-class American women use those terms all the time. It's an instant turn-off for me.

Don Quixote

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Has anyone else noticed this? Compare "candid" videos from before the 1970s, to videos recorded today. Here are a few examples:

Interviews with teens in the 1960s:

Tiktok featuring a teen with an especially deep voice:

1950 game show with female contestant (jump to 15:47):

Modern game show (jump to 2:16):

I realize that a claim like this is highly susceptible to selection and confirmation bias. But, for the gameshow link, that's the first link youtube showed me when I searched for gameshow.

Also, I'm well aware that I could hunt around and find a modern woman with a higher-pitched voice. Just like I could find a man alive today with high T - but that doesn't disprove the claim that male testosterone levels are declining. I think this observation about women's voices might be related somehow.

And even if I found a modern woman with a high-pitched voice, there's still something else that's missing. I don't know what to call it other than, maybe, "sing-song" - there's just something that has changed in the way they speak. Maybe in the past, every woman was faking that quality because the patriarchy was oppressing them. I don't know.

What do you guys think?
Also women are getting way taller I think for similar reasons. Maybe birth control somehow delays fusion of bone plates. Overall women seem way more masculine in my opinion.

Garuda

Pelican
There was some disinformation about this in the media. The official explanation is that it's due to a changing power dynamic.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180612-the-reasons-why-womens-voices-are-deeper-today

But once you move past those accents, you’ll find another social transformation mirrored in our voices: women today speak at a deeper pitch than their mothers or grandmothers would have done, thanks to the changing power dynamics between men and women.
Cecilia Pemberton at the University of South Australia studied the voices of two groups of Australian women aged 18–25 years. The researchers compared archival recordings of women talking in 1945 with more recent recordings taken in the early 1990s. The team found that the “fundamental frequency” had dropped by 23 Hz over five decades – from an average of 229 Hz (roughly an A# below middle C) to 206 Hz (roughly a G#). That’s a significant, audible difference.

The researchers had carefully selected their samples to control for any potential demographic factors: the women were all university students and none of them smoked. The team also considered the fact that members of the more recent group from the 1990s were using the contraceptive pill, which could have led to hormonal changes that could have altered the vocal chords. Yet the drop in pitch remained even when the team excluded those women from their sample.

Instead, the researchers speculated that the transformation reflects the rise of women to more prominent roles in society, leading them to adopt a deeper tone to project authority and dominance in the workplace.

ISR92

Sparrow
Has anyone else noticed this? Compare "candid" videos from before the 1970s, to videos recorded today. Here are a few examples:

Interviews with teens in the 1960s:

Tiktok featuring a teen with an especially deep voice:

1950 game show with female contestant (jump to 15:47):

Modern game show (jump to 2:16):

I realize that a claim like this is highly susceptible to selection and confirmation bias. But, for the gameshow link, that's the first link youtube showed me when I searched for gameshow.

Also, I'm well aware that I could hunt around and find a modern woman with a higher-pitched voice. Just like I could find a man alive today with high T - but that doesn't disprove the claim that male testosterone levels are declining. I think this observation about women's voices might be related somehow.

And even if I found a modern woman with a high-pitched voice, there's still something else that's missing. I don't know what to call it other than, maybe, "sing-song" - there's just something that has changed in the way they speak. Maybe in the past, every woman was faking that quality because the patriarchy was oppressing them. I don't know.

What do you guys think?
This is a well-known phenomenon. Women's voices have been getting deeper as they take on more masculine roles

Viktor Zeegelaar

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
Fascinating fact. I'm certain that besides the cultural influence there will be influence in things like food and medicine/birth control as well, just like the plummeting male sperm counts.

My 4 year old girl has a low voice and she's not in some corporate power struggle.

Funny enough, my 1 year has a baritone voice and loves to use it even lower, especially when singing.

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
That change in octave you're noticing is the difference between mid Atlantic accents and regular speaking accents.

Mid Atlantic accents were the American equivalent of the Uks received pronunciation. Basically school taught to make you seem proper. Coming from theater, movies and TV of the first half of the 20th century era had this accent.

By the late 60s, early 70s, the style fell out of favor as old Hollywood aged out. By the late 70s (see star wars 4), the accent was all gone. Notice the women of star wars all have normal range of a lady's voice.