Work ethics : cutting a middleman

JohnQThomas

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Maybe I forgot to mention a detail. It's usually for jobs between 3 months to 6 months. So it's not like I care about keeping working with one middleman in particular. By the time the contract is finished, 50 new middlemen companies have been created lol.
Uh...sounds like you’re very comfortable with “burning bridges“ that you might later need.
Is it really a good idea to risk word getting around that you can’t be trusted? Work—and middlemen who can help you get it—may soon be scarcer than you’re used to.

Oh—and then there’s that annoying question of ethics. If a man doesn’t have character, what DOES he really have?

Last edited:

JohnQThomas

Woodpecker
Other Christian
It sounds like your industry is similar to mine with recruiters. 50 new recruiting agencies out there between when you take one job and when you're looking for your next might sound like an exaggeration to some, but not so much to me. It's hard to imagine for people who haven't experienced it. A lot of the advice about being a little nicer the other posters are giving is good in theory but isn't so useful in a purely Machiavellian sense.
But then, can one serve both God and Machiavelli?

Gonrad

Banned
Uh...sounds like you’re very comfortable with “burning bridges“ that you might later need.
Is it really a good idea to risk word getting around that you can’t be trusted? Work—and middlemen who can help you get it—may soon be scarcer than you’re used to.

Oh—and then there’s that annoying question of ethics. If a man doesn’t have character, what DOES he really have?
I have been burning bridges since I graduated university. Burned bridges with my university social circle, burned bridges with my first and only job as an employee, etc... Actually my first job was at a small company and every year or so I take the linkedin gold trial so I can see who checks my profile. Every time I see people from this company checking it, pretty sure I traumatized them and they have made me thr boogey man type of employee to never hire again. Or maybe they keep receiving calls from former clients who realize I'm such an unprofessional troll and sociopath. God I trolled them so much. We would do daily standups with everyone from the company and there was a guy who made me laugh hysterically every time I heard him speak. I couldn't help it. One time he menaced me to punch me. Then there were these nazi allusions that I made sometimes just for the pure sake of trolling. They still kept me because employees in my field are hard to find... Until I quit because I made enough savings for my one-year bang trip. One of the CEO didn't see it coming and was really pissed off, especially because he had given me a really cool part of the job instead of giving it to a more ancient guy. I suspect it is because he is right wing and he saw me as more reliable than the left-wing cucks that pollute french offices. Sometimes I think about coming to visit them and to put Darth Vader theme when I enter the office.

Elipe

Ostrich
Protestant
I've lately come to learn that there really is no such thing as "burning bridges" these days. You either have what people want and will pay for, or you don't. If you have something people want, they will pay you for it regardless of how many bridges you've burned in the past.

"Bridge burning" is an issue for people who don't have what other people want. Basically, if you're in the situation where you need those bridges, you are essentially in the employment position equivalent to that of a beta orbiter for an attractive woman with an OnlyFans account.

JohnQThomas

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I've lately come to learn that there really is no such thing as "burning bridges" these days. You either have what people want and will pay for, or you don't. If you have something people want, they will pay you for it regardless of how many bridges you've burned in the past.

"Bridge burning" is an issue for people who don't have what other people want. Basically, if you're in the situation where you need those bridges, you are essentially in the employment position equivalent to that of a beta orbiter for an attractive woman with an OnlyFans account.
Not everyone who would otherwise want what you have will want it if you have a reputation for unethical conduct. Especially if you have already conned them or someone they know.

bucky

Hummingbird
Other Christian
But then, can one serve both God and Machiavelli?
I think by "serve" you mean "follow the principles of" in Machiavelli's case. If so, I'd say absolutely you can use Machiavellian principles while following God. It's a bit off topic, and if you're going to reply further please at least have read The Prince. The popular conception of "Machiavellian" diverges quite a bit from what he actually taught.

Elipe

Ostrich
Protestant
Not everyone who would otherwise want what you have will want it if you have a reputation for unethical conduct. Especially if you have already conned them or someone they know.
And yet, people regularly continue to patronize businesses that have routinely screwed them over time and time again. I'm of course, thinking mostly of video game businesses, but then there are examples from other industries like the food industry where people will continue to do business with places that have openly expressed hostility toward them.

And then there's one of my favorite examples: Trump. Trump got tarred and feathered by the media so badly as the guy that pees on prostitutes, the guy that never pays his taxes, the guy that would kill people in the streets just to prove that people would still support him, the guy that offends pretty much every single boomer soccer mom sensibility.

And yet, despite being labeled as the person most responsible for "unethical conduct" in all human history, everybody is lining up to go to his rallies.

Oh! And let's not forget ISPs! Unethical conduct flying out the wazoo, and people still purchase their services.

The recent PS5 scalping is also an excellent example of how people will knowingly allow themselves to be scammed because the scammer has something they want.

Be the person that other people want stuff from, and bridges will mean nothing.

Troller

Banned
Catholic
I´ve never cut brokers. It´s a short term perspective. Once was selling a land the buyer asks me my number with the broker by his side. I tell the buyer the broker has my number. Brokers at least in real estate are very important. They bring you off market opportunities. Sometimes what I do is negotiate their fee. Cut to half if I´m selling bellow market value. (you make money in RE in the buying not in selling). Actually the last RE I´ve sold. It was really strange. The buyer a wealthy interior decorator. She demands the brokers to cut half of the comission with her son. Her son had a real estate agency. Lool.

JohnQThomas

Woodpecker
Other Christian
And yet, people regularly continue to patronize businesses that have routinely screwed them over time and time again. I'm of course, thinking mostly of video game businesses, but then there are examples from other industries like the food industry where people will continue to do business with places that have openly expressed hostility toward them.

And then there's one of my favorite examples: Trump. Trump got tarred and feathered by the media so badly as the guy that pees on prostitutes, the guy that never pays his taxes, the guy that would kill people in the streets just to prove that people would still support him, the guy that offends pretty much every single boomer soccer mom sensibility.

And yet, despite being labeled as the person most responsible for "unethical conduct" in all human history, everybody is lining up to go to his rallies.

Oh! And let's not forget ISPs! Unethical conduct flying out the wazoo, and people still purchase their services.

The recent PS5 scalping is also an excellent example of how people will knowingly allow themselves to be scammed because the scammer has something they want.

Be the person that other people want stuff from, and bridges will mean nothing.
In some cases, customers may keep coming back (and/or there will be a steady supply of new suckers). In other cases, there may eventually be consequences. For instance, sometimes even what some see as a “God Emperor” with a large and loyal following fails to get enough of the right votes to be re-elected.

JohnQThomas

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I think by "serve" you mean "follow the principles of" in Machiavelli's case. If so, I'd say absolutely you can use Machiavellian principles while following God. It's a bit off topic, and if you're going to reply further please at least have read The Prince. The popular conception of "Machiavellian" diverges quite a bit from what he actually taught.
Been a while since I read The Prince, but as I recall it advocated cultivating a REPUTATION for honoring one’s agreements (if not always actually doing so).