Work/life balance

squiggly

Sparrow
How many hours do you work a day typically, and how do you divide up your spare time? Do you plan how you spend it or just let it unfold however? Do you use it all on leisure, or allow for time for furthering your career by learning new skills etc? And if you could choose one thing you would do less of, and one thing you would do more of, what would they be? (For me less YouTube, more reading).

Easy_C

Crow
For me it's highly project dependent.

I think one huge mistake people make though is looking at it just in terms of hours. Speaking from personal experience, 40 hours a week in a job you absolutely despise and see no future in can be worse than 60-70 hours in a job you like. The first is a slog you just survive, while the other feels like a worthwhile investment in your skills. It also isn't often a matter of just "time for other things" because if you have to spend a couple of hours trying to recover from a demoralizing day it shoots down any benefits you may have from less hours.

kel

Kingfisher
I am, unfortunately, sorta always in "work mode". That means I'm half there but half distracted when it's actually work time, and in my personal time I'm kinda half distracted still thinking about work and might open up my computer and do a little coding before I forget. I'm working on setting better boundaries.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
kel said:
I am, unfortunately, sorta always in "work mode". That means I'm half there but half distracted when it's actually work time, and in my personal time I'm kinda half distracted still thinking about work and might open up my computer and do a little coding before I forget. I'm working on setting better boundaries.
Yup I help run a small family business and this is me as well. I dont have the luxury to "take off" since I'm not working for someone else, I kind of need to care what happens around the clock.

monsquid

Woodpecker
I've always worked more than 40 hours because I want to excel at what I do. In today's corporate environments most of the day is filled with waste of time meetings. This means that you need to come in earlier or stay later to complete tasks that require uninterrupted focus. As I get older though, it's tiresome to have to deal with the same problems over and over again. My company uses subcontractors to fill lower level support jobs and it's painful to have random people on my team rotate to different roles or leave the company. I feel like I am constantly training people to help their career ladder without getting much back in return.

I have a very simple but well paid corporate job in a growing office with plans for future expansion. I could gain a few levels in the future, but deep down I know the time is now to push myself to the limit. I will look into ways to improve my passive income and once I have enough savings I will be open to start a small business. I know plenty of capable people but we do not have the financial backing to start taking risks yet.