Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
WesternCancer said:
Sick data, like you said get ready to scrap if you go to a bar. My friend worked up there for the past 8months fought regularily and got into some BRAWLS. like 10 people involved etc.

Do they have any kind of science/biology related jobs up there, maybe chemistry? Something to do over the summer related to my degree.

Ya lots of fights at the bars, usually just fists but sometimes it gets uglier, the first time I went into club NV there, I saw four different chick fights in about an hour!

They definitely have jobs for all science students, here's an example:
http://www.suncor.com/en/careers/3783.aspx

There really is something up there for everyone, if you're up for the challenge, it isn't an easy place to live and work but the financial rewards is what makes it worthwhile.

I'll look more into the work visa situation, as I posted, I'd like to see a lot more Americans up there. It actually pisses me off, I"ll watch CNN or some American TV channel and they're all going on about how bad the economy is and there's no jobs stateside, then I switch channels to a Canadian station and they're going on about how they can't find workers for the oil sands projects. Then I'm at work and I have to deal with a bunch of Asian workers who can't speak English properly (no offence to Asians but this is a major safety issue on any industrial job site).

I"ll get that info later, but any American who comes up will need a clean criminal record and probably a skill too. One way to get up here is apply to work with a company that has OPS in the USA and oil sands, I posted some companies above.

Alfonzo

Robin
Thancks for the info Scotian . The money would be interessant but, the shit environement(hours,fight) I don't think I will be acustom to . Right now I am in a poison environement , that won't help me right now if I'm going there . Maybe later when things will come back to the normal .

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Alfonzo said:
Thancks for the info Scotian . The money would be interessant but, the shit environement(hours,fight) I don't think I will be acustom to . Right now I am in a poison environement , that won't help me right now if I'm going there . Maybe later when things will come back to the normal .

No problem Alfonzo, the oil sands aren't going anywhere, there will be work opportunities there for many years to come! Its best to move out with a skill or at least some prior training, to ensure that you don't end up doing a shitty manual labour job like shoveling snow or digging ditches!

Alfonzo

Robin
scotian said:
Alfonzo said:

No problem Alfonzo, the oil sands aren't going anywhere, there will be work opportunities there for many years to come! Its best to move out with a skill or at least some prior training, to ensure that you don't end up doing a shitty manual labour job like shoveling snow or digging ditches!

Do you think a firefighter diploma could help me to find something else than the crappy job ?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Alfonzo said:
scotian said:
Alfonzo said:

Do you think a firefighter diploma could help me to find something else than the crappy job ?

Ya for sure, all oil sands operations have their own fire fighting departments, check out this company http://www.cnrl.com/ , the only thing is, you won't be saving cats from trees or burning residential houses, you'll deal with industrial explosions, like this one that happened last year (I made a tonne of money of the unscheduled shut down that ensued!) here's a video of the coker fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8CQnCmk10w

Spike

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I just filled in a form for a permanent visa at a Dutch/Canadian visa agency. I will hear from them in a few days if i can aply for a permanet Canadian visa. Otherwise i can apply for a temporary worker visa since my education is on the POL ( Priority Occupation List ) I'm a skilled carpenter. well, i was many years ago.

I guess once i'm there i could switch jobs if i find something better paying.

@scotian, i just found this site http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html
According to this i only pay 26 % if i make less than 132k. And 29% above that ( i wish)

Is that correct ? In Holland i used to pay 42% income tax. its 52% if you make big bucks.

is Canada really that low on income tax ? That means i pocket 74k on a 100k salary.

The provincial tax rate for alberta is only 10 %. Whats the difference between provincial and federal ?. Do i need to pay both ?

Spike

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Damn, i do have a criminal record. That might be a problem. Although its been 12 years since my last conviction and it didn't give an problems landing a nice office job..

Canada has much lower taxes on personal income relative to Western Europe owing to a far smaller welfare state. Government spending as a share of the economy is roughly one-third in Canada, whereas in most of Western Europe it's roughly around half. Canada, the USA, and Australia are low tax countries compared to you guys.

Like Germany and America, Canada is a federal state. Many government functions are handled by the provinces. For instance, the provision of healthcare is a provincial responsibility in Canada. The provincial rate goes to the provincial government, and yes you need to pay both the province and the federal government. Fortunately Alberta has quite low taxes owing to their massive oil wealth.

Spike

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Thorfinnsson said:
Canada has much lower taxes on personal income relative to Western Europe owing to a far smaller welfare state. Government spending as a share of the economy is roughly one-third in Canada, whereas in most of Western Europe it's roughly around half. Canada, the USA, and Australia are low tax countries compared to you guys.

Like Germany and America, Canada is a federal state. Many government functions are handled by the provinces. For instance, the provision of healthcare is a provincial responsibility in Canada. The provincial rate goes to the provincial government, and yes you need to pay both the province and the federal government. Fortunately Alberta has quite low taxes owing to their massive oil wealth.

Thank you for your quick answer. Yep, taxes are high in Holland. The government feels the need to decide everything for us citizens.

We used to take care of people from cradle to grave but that's ending now. Too much government spending on bottomless pits such as immigration and Europe.

Scotian - I have misdameanor offenses on my record. Nothing serious at all though. I'm guessing only felonies will hold you back? I hope shit I did as a young buck won't fuck this up for me.

Spike

Hummingbird
Gold Member
houston said:
Scotian - I have misdameanor offenses on my record. Nothing serious at all though. I'm guessing only felonies will hold you back? I hope shit I did as a young buck won't fuck this up for me.

Same here and mine weren't even minor but no jail time. That's nearly impossible in Holland

A young guy punched a cop in the face 6 times a few weeks ago and his sentence was 40 hours community work and a small fine. What a joke !!

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Guys I'm not too sure about how a criminal record will fuck up your chances of coming to work in Canada, but I do know of a guy from the States was refused entry to Canada because of a DUI he picked up years before. This guy had all of his papers lined up, he was working for the same company as he does in the states, he was just coming up for a month or two to help out, and they turned him away! You'll likely need to get some kind of pardon before you can come.

Neil, check out these websites, they are major construction firms that employ thousands of Carpenters in Alberta:

http://www.clarkbuilders.com/
http://www.pcl.com/

Also, you can ask the Carpenter's union about working in the oil sands: http://www.workunion.ca/UBC/

Spike

Hummingbird
Gold Member
scotian said:
Guys I'm not too sure about how a criminal record will fuck up your chances of coming to work in Canada, but I do know of a guy from the States was refused entry to Canada because of a DUI he picked up years before. This guy had all of his papers lined up, he was working for the same company as he does in the states, he was just coming up for a month or two to help out, and they turned him away! You'll likely need to get some kind of pardon before you can come.

Neil, check out these websites, they are major construction firms that employ thousands of Carpenters in Alberta:

http://www.clarkbuilders.com/
http://www.pcl.com/

Also, you can ask the Carpenter's union about working in the oil sands: http://www.workunion.ca/UBC/

Thanks for all the info.
Look at these union wages, even for scaffolder
-------------------------------------------------
Good pay for great work!
Currently, our Carpenter and Scaffolder members receive the following basic pay:

Journeyman (Industrial) $38.63/hr
Journeyman (Commercial) $34.29/hr

When you add 10% vacation pay and fully employer-paid pension, health & welfare and training contributions, the total pay package works out to:

Journeyman (Industrial) $51.04
Journeyman (Commercial) $42.84
-------------------------------------------------

My criminal record dates from 2000 and before, been a good boy ever since :) it didnt give any problems when i applied for my office job, i had to show some justice department paper to the HRM and i was sweating. I got the paper in the mail and it didnt say anything about my record, they gave me the job.

Ill check all the links you gave me tomorrow morning. Thanks again

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I've done some research on the visa issue and found this site:

http://www.international.gc.ca/experience/intro_incoming-intro_entrant.aspx?view=d

Its a government programme called "International Experience Canada" if you're under 35 and come from one of the many countries listed above (Netherlands and Ireland are there but not the USA, shitty!), you can come and work in Canada for up to a year. Its probably very easy to qualify for, so guys from the UK or Europe can apply, I don't know why we don't have similar agreements with the States, maybe we do?

Neil, those tax rates seem about right, but I'm sure that as a foreigner, you would actually be reimbursed a lot more at the end of the year since you wouldn't be a permanent resident, another thing to look into.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
A good opinion piece about skilled Americans coming to work in Canada:

http://www.troymedia.com/blog/2011/10/05/american-workers-a-good-fit-for-alberta/

From the article: "Americans need jobs and Alberta needs workers. A similar culture, language, and geographic proximity can simplify the process of bringing U.S. workers north. What’s lacking is a history of labour mobility. With an appropriate framework in place that makes recruitment and integration more seamless the available labour pool could be greatly enlarged"

raliv

Woodpecker
how experienced a welder do you have to be to get a job with one of the companies up there? Certified obviously but is there a threshold of years of experience they demand?

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Gold Member
I'd be all over this is I had a trade. Growing up I wanted to be an electrician or mechanic, but of course I was brainwashed into the 'you have to go to college or you won't amount to anything' route. I could care less about living in a work camp or shitty conditions, I'd do it for the cash. I looked at some of the companies you posted and it still seems like they require some experience. If I could take courses for 6 months in a trade and it guaranteed me a job there I'd definitely go for it.

Tbone

Robin
Neo said:
I'd be all over this is I had a trade. Growing up I wanted to be an electrician or mechanic, but of course I was brainwashed into the 'you have to go to college or you won't amount to anything' route. I could care less about living in a work camp or shitty conditions, I'd do it for the cash. I looked at some of the companies you posted and it still seems like they require some experience. If I could take courses for 6 months in a trade and it guaranteed me a job there I'd definitely go for it.

I passed the info on to my brother and he told me that everything seems to require some level of experience, of which he has none.

Scotian any advice?