Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

Get a good education and good references and making more than 6 figures in Canada is not a big deal. I basically don't get this thread. 6 figures isn't a LOT of money. (in the $1xx,xxx bracket).

NFallin

Robin
@misogynist

Not everybody wants to work 8-6, 49 weeks a year selling widgets man. This thread has opened up a lot of freedom for a lot of people.

I'm at a schlumberger training facility, with about 500 other workers training in various product lines. Most are in their 20s and very few above even 35.

One of the old instructors let slip that 3 out of 4 quit within their first year. Fucking 3 out of 4, and they pay us generously while we're here. It's all 'expensed' which reduces SLB's taxable income so it's like a political payoff shell game while the grizzled veterans hold the line in the field. SLB made a huge push to get more women engineers so there's all this nice 22 yr old tail running around, many of whom have never held jobs yet supposedly will be running frac crews lol. They won't last in the field but it makes it fun here.

I know what I'm getting in to and how valuable 100k a year is, and how there is probably an imminent economic depression within 5 years (if we're not already in it) but these new kids just don't know or care.

I learned my lesson last crash but these young kids, all talking about buying new cars are going to get ass reamed in a couple years either through the next crash or simply quitting thinking they will find good employment elsewhere.

rdvirus

Woodpecker
Fuck I'm outta shape. Tripping in 300 stands beat the fuck out of me... happy to be out here again though. Got a solid crew, fill in hand is going back to his rig so I'll be full time. Going to try not to blow my whole wad this time haha..

Seadog

Woodpecker
Disco_Volante said:
I'm at a schlumberger training facility, with about 500 other workers training in various product lines. Most are in their 20s and very few above even 35.

One of the old instructors let slip that 3 out of 4 quit within their first year. Fucking 3 out of 4, and they pay us generously while we're here. It's all 'expensed' which reduces SLB's taxable income so it's like a political payoff shell game while the grizzled veterans hold the line in the field. SLB made a huge push to get more women engineers so there's all this nice 22 yr old tail running around, many of whom have never held jobs yet supposedly will be running frac crews lol. They won't last in the field but it makes it fun here.

I know what I'm getting in to and how valuable 100k a year is, and how there is probably an imminent economic depression within 5 years (if we're not already in it) but these new kids just don't know or care.

I learned my lesson last crash but these young kids, all talking about buying new cars are going to get ass reamed in a couple years either through the next crash or simply quitting thinking they will find good employment elsewhere.
Haha, I don't envy you. Having been through that exact center and several others I also had an idea of what I was getting into, and was thinking "how bad can it be?"

3/4 in the first year might be an exaggeration, but after 10 years, I can honestly say 90%(myself included) had moved on. Probably 2/3rd of them quit, 1/3rd let go, and the remaining handful have moved up. For field engineers it's sort of an up or out progression. Money is great, Guaranteed time off for something short of a wedding(edit-specifically yours) is a question mark, and the lady who hired me told me about getting a call in Boston when she was changing planes with her husband to cancel her XMas holiday because there was a job. So it isn't just the work and the hours, it's also the non-stop BS, last minute changes, and zero predictability.

Keep on living like a student, you won't have time to enjoy anything you buy anyways, you can literally set yourself up for life in 7-10 years, especially if you can moved overseas for a couple years. But literally they expect you to make the job priority #1 even ahead of family.

That said, some of my best friends were made in the company, it seems to attract a certain mindset and they even had a facebook like website called "brothers reunited" before facebook since it was accepted that invariably the majority would be gone, but want to stay in touch.

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
echelon said:
complete newb here so forgive my ignorance. but is there any way i can work the oil fields in the middle east and make decent money? i graduated high school but dropped out of college. im only 20, american, and i have zero experience in the oil industry. what would be the first steps to take to work the fields in the US or middle east?
You can't work in the ME. The first steps have been described in the past 5 pages.

echelon said:
do entry level jobs for offshore rigs pay a lot more than land? what would the general figures be?
Offshore is more dead than those Parkland HS kids. Actually inland wireline pays more than offshore from what I heard.

Disco_Volante said:

I doubt engineers will run frac crews or jobs, that what treaters are for. Not to mention engineers probably can't troubleshoot pumps or the line in case a hand needs guidance over the radio.

From what I heard, they leave because of pay or being tired of SlumberGAY's policies. Bigger companies are more about doing checklists than getting the job done, zero fucks given about customer service...all that matters is that you followed protocol. Homoburton's pump procedure takes 30 minutes to get all your pumps in gear, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes if you're not fighting pressure.

Even then, I joined my first crew almost exactly a year ago. Only one (out of 16) other guy is still with the company. Everyone else jumped ship because of pay, new rules/managers, and other crap. Calfrac is offer 22 an hour, compared to C&J's 16 or FTSI's 17.50. Personally, I prefer a bigger hourly rate (15 hrs @ $20) over HAL paying 18 hours at 16 because after 110 hours the gubbmint tax rapes you.

Let the first timers make bad decisions right now so they can say "Let me have on last boom, I promise not to piss it away this time" later on....:banana::banana::banana:. Those lifted Platinum Edition F-550s aren't gonna buy themselves son!

In other news, I think I found Scotian:

Even better videos:
https://www.facebook.com/birdseedofficial/videos/160314567971319/

https://www.facebook.com/birdseedofficial/videos/210414006294708/

Hi guys
Kinda new on this site,I was on this forum before a few years ago but i was kind of a lurker and only made a few posts,I then forgot my password etc..but recently I rejoined as a new member, this is my background,I lived in grande prairie for 5 years working in construction and then had to return home due to family issues,but a couple of months ago I applied for Canadian permanent residency card and i will found out in September/October if i get it,if i do I'm heading back to Alberta,either fort mac or grande prairie,looking to get into the oil biz!!looking forward to giving input into this thread.

from what I hear its hard for a american to get into canada and vice versa for a canadian to work in america,is'nt their a oil boom in texas and north dakota,would you not try that first??

thanks komatiite,I might take you up on that offer,I'll post on the thread when i hear back on my permanet residency,I have a class one/cdl,so I'm ready to rock,take care

Kdog said:
As for my job, I am getting used to the longer days and being outside again since I have been working on a laptop for the past 2+ years. I am already getting quite in shape and enjoying the 'fuck off' banter with the guys I work with. I am making wicked money and also making bank on my $140 a day LOA, living way below my means. I am planning to do this until the end of October/ November before snow fall, and aiming to bank around $30,000+ from now till then. I will keep you guys posted as I would love to bring life back into this thread that has changed many lives and saved many asses.
I know exactly how you felt. I've been a programmer for the last few years and it's making me very antsy sitting in front of a laptop all day. I've since outsourced the coding and the review requires minimal time on my part, so I'm looking to get back outdoors and earn a second income and ultimately start a business down the road.

I've been looking into large trucking companies that offer a CDL in exchange for a length of service but they don't pay much. Are there any companies in the oil fields that you guys recommend that offer to pay for the CDL or should I just do it out of my own pocket and try to snag a job? Also, is it true that drivers are making $10-15k/month in the US oil fields? I'm back in the US now and ready to take the plunge, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been lurking here for a couple months and there's a lot of great information. Thanks for the thread guys. Seriously.

Tuber24

Hey guys, looking to move to Alberta. Currently work as an instrumentation fitter bending tubing and fitting pipe in Ontario. Wondering what the job market is like and if you guys could recommend any companies/job agency's to contact. Currently an apprentice in Ontario with three and a half years experience. Thanks for any help.