Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
chrisblackbeard said:
Anyone combining this lifestyle with long periods of downtime/travel?
You'd be dumb to do this especially since most jobs have schedules days off. You can take long periods of travel when the downturn hits and get laid off for months. In the meantime, work work work because this shit won't last.
 

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
Cattle Rustler said:
chrisblackbeard said:
Anyone combining this lifestyle with long periods of downtime/travel?
You'd be dumb to do this especially since most jobs have schedules days off. You can take long periods of travel when the downturn hits and get laid off for months. In the meantime, work work work because this shit won't last.
This is the biggest difference between our sectors within oil and gas.
 

rdvirus

Woodpecker
Higher ups at my company were asking me if I knew any rig hands looking for work(drilling). I wouldn't say the patch is back but there is definitely work out there. Last hitch we tripped 8 of 14 days. Getting used to the workload.. hustling on my days off to help get me to 5 figures a month. August was close to 12k cleared but I worked my other job as well. Taking it easy on days off this time to maintain my sanity, summer is winding down as well and I want to enjoy whats left of it. Might start looking to fill in on another rig on my week off next time.
 

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
That moment coil gets stuck so coil has to call coil to get coil unstuck using their coil....

Currently doing a job and were having so much downtime that I’m going to work my days off just because I know I’m going to spend most of the time sleeping or pipelining bitches. Easy money bitches!!!!! Easily been sleeping 4 hours every day for the past couple of days on location.

In other news, already maxed out my 401k and IRA....waiting on my fat income tax refund and trying to decide to what to do. You can only save so much. I just want a job where I can make oilfield money without having to be in BFE doing oilfield hours.

Might take the cobra test to become a pahpiline controller and work in the middle of the city or data analytics masters
 

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
scotian said:
Cattle Rustler said:
chrisblackbeard said:
Anyone combining this lifestyle with long periods of downtime/travel?
You'd be dumb to do this especially since most jobs have schedules days off. You can take long periods of travel when the downturn hits and get laid off for months. In the meantime, work work work because this shit won't last.
This is the biggest difference between our sectors within oil and gas.
You mean between our countries. When the bust went down the pipeliners flooded turnovers and other industries. Shit ton of welders looking for work.
 
Read through most of the thread. Feels like a great gift, knowing there's a way out of the 9/5 office sitting behind a desk all day.

Most of the links from 2012 are unavailable / expired. I was wondering if the main piece of advice for people from europe is to just go to Canada with the 1 year visa and start applying there, or is there a more efficient method as of 2018?

Thanks
 

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
Heightcel said:
Read through most of the thread. Feels like a great gift, knowing there's a way out of the 9/5 office sitting behind a desk all day.

Most of the links from 2012 are unavailable / expired. I was wondering if the main piece of advice for people from europe is to just go to Canada with the 1 year visa and start applying there, or is there a more efficient method as of 2018?

Thanks
Yeah, a lot of people did that and it worked.
 

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
Just google Canadian working holiday visa, as far as I know they’ve cut back on issuing them but it should still be a legit route.

I’m driving back to Edmonton tomorrow after a 21 day camp stint, this shit definitely doesn’t get any easier as the years go by but fortunately I’m in a relatively nice camp. It’s getting really cold up here too, I’ve been working night shift from 6pm to 6am and it’s dipping down to -15C at night. I have one more short hitch up here then I should be done for the year, I gotta get my ass down to South America soon.
 

Tresdus

Woodpecker
Damn bro you're a month late fucking off this year!

Finally submitted my application for PR couple days ago and hopefully in 4-6months it'll be approved
 

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
^Under normal circumstances I’d be drinking beer on a tropical beach somewhere right about now but I have to take a course in a couple if weeks that’s going to take me up to mid December before I can travel. I’m definitely not enjoying freezing my ass off in the northern Alberta cold!

Looking forward to seeing you back in Etown bro let us know when you get arrive.
 

pitt

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Side note: Australia is having a huge construction boom and there are a lot of construction jobs there that pay well. For those looking for a hot climate, then Australia may be an option. I was working there throughout the whole 2017, it's actually a decent place to live and earn money. It pays more than US or Canadian construction jobs for sure.
 

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
pitt said:
Side note: Australia is having a huge construction boom and there are a lot of construction jobs there that pay well. For those looking for a hot climate, then Australia may be an option. I was working there throughout the whole 2017, it's actually a decent place to live and earn money. It pays more than US or Canadian construction jobs for sure.
Dude, I'm curious...how on earth do you manage to work/live in the US, Canacuck, and OZ? I'm curious and jelly that you can do this. I assume some sort of guest work program.
 

Bluey

Woodpecker
Roswell87 said:
Pitt, does these construction jobs require any university degree ?
No. Generally you'll need to do a white card construction safety course, then there's heaps of trades, dogging and rigging, steel fixing, welders, etc. etc. Crane operator is supposedly pretty good money so not much work too.
Even laboring pays ok in Australia, especially union sites. CFMEU is one of the unions that are still strong here.

I know a concreter that pulls in $150,000+ a year working for someone else, then does his own jobs on the weekend, like driveways, that put a couple of thousand or so more a job in his pocket as an example. Usually does 60+ hour weeks and banks rostered days off.
 

JimBobsCooters

Woodpecker
Most of the well paying construction jobs will require some form of technical qualification in Australia. There are a bunch of jobs that just require tickets but they don't pay as well generally and are more competitive to get into because getting a ticket normally just requires a semi-functional brain. Only really the engineering and geology stuff requires a university degree though.

If you're not making 100k with a trade in Australia then you should be looking for another employer, you can basically double/triple the city rate by working on mines but the boom has certainly died off on that front making it far more competitive to get into and hold your gig. I've met carpenters, sparkies and mechanics making over 300k a year on mine sites though it's certainly on the higher end of the scale.

There's been a bit of a crack down on foreign visas as well which makes it harder for non-Australian's but it's still not difficult to get by any means but you'll probably cop a price cut to get it over an Aussie (which is why you'll get hired over said Aussie and then he'll sook it).
 
Top