Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
I’m flat our here in Alberta, been busy since January, currently on week 3 of a 6 week shutdown, working nights on a per diem job so the money is great. I have a two week break at the end of this month, definitely looking forward to recharging the batteries because I have another 6-7 week camp gig coming up after that. I may take an easy summer gig or even go on employment insurance for a few weeks because I have another big 60 day shut down down in September. Either way this will be my best year financially since about 2013 because I worked the winter, once I hit 120K gross I’m fucking off down south, hopefully by November.

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
ChicagoFire said:
And yes liberals (losers) get pissed off with what you do. My policy is to tell people I do janitorial work and change the conversation.

Going beyond the job
I have a degree and can always transition into that. Not sure if anyone on the thread mentioned this but I might transition into oil sales careers. I noticed a particular equipment company advertising their hardware and thought I could do that.
How are you liking the job and industry so far?

Don't be afraid of the liberals, take pride in what you do. For some weird reason normies think we're some rough convicts, and some of the folks (casing crews, drilling crews, roustabouts) are but not all.....so normies tend not to fuck around with oilfield workers because they think we'll beat them up.

ShotgunUppercuts said:
Anyone do power generation in this field? Wrench on emergency generators?
Probably diesel generators but those are mostly third party rentals from Sunstate or United Rentals.

flipper78 said:
Hi scotian,
I am 40 y young and PhD in geochemistry/Radiation protection. I have German/British dual nationality and speak also French. Do you happen to know whether there is demand for someone with my qualifications in the oil sands Industry?
Kind regards
You're stuck working in the EU unless you can do the whole Canadian holiday visa thing. Your nationalities, languages, and degrees don't help much...maybe as a geologist? But then you're facing a lot of local competition.

Disco_Volante said:
Anyone noticing a slowdown? It seems a lot of majors are laying off. I showed sperry drilling (halliburton) my auto logger system, they liked it, then a week later the manager I showed it to was laid off lol.
I check layoff message boards, there's insiders for each company and they're all reporting layoffs that don't make the news.

https://www.thelayoff.com/schlumberger
https://www.thelayoff.com/halliburton
https://www.thelayoff.com/devon-energy
etc..

Whoever buys anadarko petroleum is going to cut at least half of them.

Many of the boomers can't retire because they're getting laid off in their 50s, and I hear new graduates like engineers and geologists are having a really hard time with limited jobs.
Yeah, it's been slowing down since Q3 last year. I called it on another website and everyone was like "we're hiring brah, gtfo!". HAL had some crews on furlough, paying them 40 hrs a week to stay at home, recently laid some of them off. Some frac companies went on a hiring bonanza two months ago, now laying off the same hands.

Drive down the STACK or I-40 in OKC and you'll see trucks parked at yards, Flexrigs stacked, and meth heads. The last part is normal though.

Fresh engineers are a two bladeed sword thing. On one hand they're being pussies for wanting Completions/Drilling Engineer positions or the holy grail, Reservoir Engineers straight out of school. Field Engineer positions are limited and new grads complain about the pay/work ratio, yes it sucks. It's not like old times where you did 2 years at SLB and went off to Conoco.

In reality, the job market really does suck for them. I know kids with a 3.7 out of PetEng at A&M/OU taking field engineering positions that pay 70-80K, some of them with lower (but acceptable) grades could only find Equipment Operator or Floorhand spots. My engineer even says "shit, I should just become an EO...I'd do the exact same thing and make 30K more."

Trump needs to get off Twatter and stop begging his terrorist-funding masters to keep prices low. The problem is that every mom and pop operator will try to produce more every time prices go up, so supply increases which bring prices down. Every fucker out there thinks they're the next XTO/CVX.

If anything, short service companies. You're welcome.

In a personal update:

We went from 6 frac fleets down to 1 in my district in 6 months, mostly due to incompetence...our last customer decided to end our contract early, they're downsizing too. Been in the yard for half a hitch, finally about to start a couple of jobs and see if we get some long term work. If not, get sent to Texas or probably get laid off. YOLO. They laid so many guys off that now we're short handed. Trying to work my days off to stack as much cash as possible. Just got off a 21-day hitch, pulled a 28/14 before that. So much for 14/7s hahaha. Just got the call if I wanted to work days off so my 21/7 just became a 21/3, at least location is already rigged up.

Get this money cuckbois.

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
As much as I like to make jokes about Halliburton and having to apply for food stamps due to their low wages, they do get some cool gigs. Currently they're fracing in Argentina, China, Romania, and in the sea around Turkey. They're probably in some other places too but I haven't heard. They did a frac job in India not too long ago. It beats being in Oklahoma, NoDak or Texas. Calfrac has a yard in Siberia. FTSI (Frac Tech) is doing some JV shit in China.

The Frac Shack guy told me they're growing and hiring, if you make it to operator 2...you can go to Argentina where Halliburton is running 2 frac fleets. First hitch is a 3 weeks on/2 off then changes to 2 months on and 2 weeks off. Wouldn't mind that gig, all you do is lay some hoses for rig up and flip switches for your main job, taking off fuel heads at times. $20 an hour + per diem, 12-13 hours of pay a day. Not to mention, you're already in argentina so traveling around South America should be easy. Or you could stay in Western Argentina and live cheaply. H&P has some rigs over there. Offshore has picked up, ditto for Middle East. NSE and other staffing agencies on indeed are looking for coil/wireline operators in Abu Dhabi. 3 weeks on and 3 off but you need 1 year of experience. Baker Hughes is looking for folks in Africa for well testing, 1 year exp required. Thing is, if you have some experience as a hand....you can go international.

Lewis Energy is down in Mexico doing jobs by Reynosa/Coahuila with a yard in Nuevo Laredo AND Colombia (the country)! Not sure if they pay local wages or whats up. Their Mexican job openings are in English.

Just wanted to bring some positive vibes to this thread.

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
flipper78 said:
Hi scotian,
I am 40 y young and PhD in geochemistry/Radiation protection. I have German/British dual nationality and speak also French. Do you happen to know whether there is demand for someone with my qualifications in the oil sands Industry?
Kind regards
Send me a private message

Cattle Rustler said:
As much as I like to make jokes about Halliburton and having to apply for food stamps due to their low wages, they do get some cool gigs. Currently they're fracing in Argentina, China, Romania, and in the sea around Turkey. They're probably in some other places too but I haven't heard. They did a frac job in India not too long ago. It beats being in Oklahoma, NoDak or Texas. Calfrac has a yard in Siberia. FTSI (Frac Tech) is doing some JV shit in China.

The Frac Shack guy told me they're growing and hiring, if you make it to operator 2...you can go to Argentina where Halliburton is running 2 frac fleets. First hitch is a 3 weeks on/2 off then changes to 2 months on and 2 weeks off. Wouldn't mind that gig, all you do is lay some hoses for rig up and flip switches for your main job, taking off fuel heads at times. $20 an hour + per diem, 12-13 hours of pay a day. Not to mention, you're already in argentina so traveling around South America should be easy. Or you could stay in Western Argentina and live cheaply. H&P has some rigs over there. Offshore has picked up, ditto for Middle East. NSE and other staffing agencies on indeed are looking for coil/wireline operators in Abu Dhabi. 3 weeks on and 3 off but you need 1 year of experience. Baker Hughes is looking for folks in Africa for well testing, 1 year exp required. Thing is, if you have some experience as a hand....you can go international.

Lewis Energy is down in Mexico doing jobs by Reynosa/Coahuila with a yard in Nuevo Laredo AND Colombia (the country)! Not sure if they pay local wages or whats up. Their Mexican job openings are in English.

Just wanted to bring some positive vibes to this thread.
A young man, without a solid career plan, could do a lot worse than working for Big Red. My time in the Bakken, during the boom, was spent on with little to no training wondering if I was going to blow a tank battery, truck, or facility sky high.

The training and equipment Haliburton offers is second to none, from what I saw. Sure the starting pay is low for the work and conditions, but after a couple years a young man can build a solid resume, if he takes advantage of all the training offered.

Choose a starting company wisely should you decide to build a career in the oil industry. The company I worked for payed great, but my prospects were severely limited when it came time to move on. None of the majors operating in the Bakken would hire from the company I worked for. Even the second tier companies balked. Any respectable company would snatch up a guy with Halliburton on his resume.

Seanchaí

Robin
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I posted on the thread. Like many others I got out of the oil and gas sector after the market crash. I went back to working in construction in town. It actually ended up working in my favour as I worked with a company that had a history of sponsoring British and Irish tradesmen.

So I took the pay cut and stayed with them in order to get my PR. But I had progressed as far as I wanted to in this trade and felt the patch calling. So I decided to get back in.

I followed the advice of Scotian, got some tickets and started a new trade last Winter. I was working about four months before getting my first pay rise and another soon after. Increasing my rate just over 80% in that period.

Right now I'm clearing $3,000/week. This isn't exceptional in the patch. But considering I came in with no previous experience getting to that level of income in four months is unprecedented for myself.

A lot of people will say 'the patch is dead' and I'm sure from their experience this holds true. But I can only speak for myself and I'll have to disagree with this sentiment. There is still a lot of opportunity here for the young and ambitious out there.

Is there less opportunity than a decade ago? Yes of course but that level of production was unsustainable and led to a whole bunch of gowls making too much money. A lot of the old rules still true, the bar is still low and there is a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

If you've got work ethic, brains and balls this might be the move for you.

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
$3K/week is damn good money bro, glad to hear you’re doing well, hopefully you enjoyed BC, it’s picking up there too. Pretty much everyone I know is working, some had a slow winter and it’s been a bit quiet for shut downs but I’ve been turning down work lately, so far I’m crushing it this year.

Seanchaí

Robin
scotian said:
$3K/week is damn good money bro
Don't get me wrong $3k/week isn't bad :icon_biggrin: and I wouldn't have been able to do it without your help. I just see the potential for much more. Comfort kills drive, it's insidious and I've allowed myself to get comfortable too many times. To combat this I've 'brainwashed' myself into thinking I'm broke and swimming in debt so that I'm never satisfied with whatever number shows up on the cheque. I know i'm a fucking weirdo whatever haha.

Enjoy the chicas lad

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Hey guys

I've read through most of this thread before but kind of left the idea of working in the oilfields at the back of my mind.

I'm 20 years old back at my parents house, working 60+ hours a week at a farm making shit money. No idea yet what the fuck I want to do in life.

I saw that oil was floating around $60 per barrel, which I read was a good price for the job market. Is this true? If Texas has some good opportunity right now I might just leave Massachusetts this weekend. Getting real tired of busting my ass for $13/hr

Not entirely sure what job I would go into, but I have realistic expectations about money and how much time i'll be working

If anyone who is working or has worked in the oil industry/Texas fields etc could just give me a short reply about the status of the job market this summer it would be really appreciated

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
Don’t think about the price of oil. Whatever it is, you’ll end up making more than what you’d make at home even if it lasts a few months.

Just make the move. Look up jobs in Ohio or PA. You don’t have to travel all the way to Texas.

Cortés said:
Hey guys

I've read through most of this thread before but kind of left the idea of working in the oilfields at the back of my mind.

I'm 20 years old back at my parents house, working 60+ hours a week at a farm making shit money. No idea yet what the fuck I want to do in life.

I saw that oil was floating around $60 per barrel, which I read was a good price for the job market. Is this true? If Texas has some good opportunity right now I might just leave Massachusetts this weekend. Getting real tired of busting my ass for $13/hr

Not entirely sure what job I would go into, but I have realistic expectations about money and how much time i'll be working

If anyone who is working or has worked in the oil industry/Texas fields etc could just give me a short reply about the status of the job market this summer it would be really appreciated
I wrote the other day about the current situation in Midland-Odessa, Tx: https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-73684.html

The work must be good, because I see more Mexico license plates than I’ve ever seen in my life before. I have seen the paychecks before, upwards of 100k for truck drivers. Many do their time, saving money, and get out. Restaurants struggle to find workers and people in fast food can do 15-20 dollars an hour, and that goes for waiters as well. Restaurants are forced to keep raising rates because there just are not enough people to do the jobs out here. Probation officers making 60k because there are so many felons out here for work.

Rent is now $1400, which is up 15 percent on the year. Even Houston, Austin and Dallas manage lower average rents. A trip to the local HEB and you will see a bunch of men stocking up on beer and steaks. And if you stop by a convenience store on an afternoon, you will see tons of men stalking up on beer and Marlboro reds.
Jobs everywhere here. Inside/ Outside sales, service industry at hotels, bars, restaurants, rig workers, drivers, probation officers, customer support, and more. Bad service out here because more workers are needed.

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
Just got handed my lay off notice cuck boizzzzz! It’s been a fun ride!

They’re closing the entire shop. I can either get a severance package + unemployment or transfer to Texas.

I still have a job for a couple of weeks, plan on working 50 days straights non stop. Stack cash and then travel for a month or two. Or I might transfer...

They have temporary work but it doesn’t start until January or February. So who the fuck knows what I’ll actually do. Been wanting to return to Europe or go hiking across the Patagonia during summer. I can always come back since I made contacts and have a good reputation or say fuck it and get a cubicle job again.

Just wanted to say thanks to Scotian and all the contributors on this thread. Didn’t even know what the oilfield was a decade ago. Made a lot of great memories and work ethic.

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
313jay, I tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is disabled, once you get it enabled send me another message and I’ll give you some pointers.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Only news I have is I've lost 3 Oil field tenants within the last two months. Waiting for more to kick in the bucket.