Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

Absent a massive government subsidy and/or tariffs on imports, shale oil is dead for a generation. The economics of it barely made sense even with high-priced oil, but those "profits" were often carried on the backs of massive debt loads. I wouldn't count on Texas coming to the rescue either, as demand is falling off massively and with it, jobs. If you can find a connection, go for it, but energy will not be a growth industry for at least 2 years based upon my reading of many reports and talking to people in the industry.

Cattle Rustler

Crow
Gold Member
What are the job options in Texas? Is there any good option for someone without experience?
None for someone without experience. Some places just started hiring again but the spots are probably going to people hiring managers know or work with previously. If I get a job I know it will be 100% through a coworker or previous supervisor. I got laid off with a dude that had 20 years experience, so it's going to be a long way before companies take in worms.

Absent a massive government subsidy and/or tariffs on imports, shale oil is dead for a generation. The economics of it barely made sense even with high-priced oil, but those "profits" were often carried on the backs of massive debt loads. I wouldn't count on Texas coming to the rescue either, as demand is falling off massively and with it, jobs. If you can find a connection, go for it, but energy will not be a growth industry for at least 2 years based upon my reading of many reports and talking to people in the industry.
Fake news, not entirely true. XTO and PXD or PE (I forgot which one) are already prepping 4-5 rigs to start punching wells again. NE will remain active due to nat gas.