Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

hedonist

Woodpecker
Wonder about some thoughts on camp work going into fall/winter?

Every place I've worked people are coming in sick with the regular cold/flu that time of the year...I can only imagine how it will be handled now with COVID.

I've got offers to do work in the city and am strongly considering it.
CNRL and Kearl both had outbreaks (no surprise with both!).

I do have an offer for a split shift remotely but they already have some crazy rules with COVID....I can see potential lost income and I'm wondering whats the point when travel is all messed up anyway? It would be a decent position though and it would get me out of O&G.....

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Wonder about some thoughts on camp work going into fall/winter?

Every place I've worked people are coming in sick with the regular cold/flu that time of the year...I can only imagine how it will be handled now with COVID.

I've got offers to do work in the city and am strongly considering it.
CNRL and Kearl both had outbreaks (no surprise with both!).

I do have an offer for a split shift remotely but they already have some crazy rules with COVID....I can see potential lost income and I'm wondering whats the point when travel is all messed up anyway? It would be a decent position though and it would get me out of O&G.....

I was in a work camp when the whole covid thing popped off, they literally changed a bunch of rules while I was there which included us all moving into one camp to make the other camp a “quarantine camp”, my two week hitch turned into a 24 day hitch because they didn’t want to bring new people in. Then I sat on my ass for a month then went to another camp for 5 weeks and the only big difference was that we had to wear masks at the morning safety meetings and couldn’t sit more than two people to a table at the lunch hall. On site no one gave a shit and they still don’t. Those were at two of the smaller SAGD sites along the 881highway, it’s different at the bigger sites.

So Suncor Baseplant blew up last week, fuck ya! $$$$https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmonton/2020/8/15/1_5066011.html

All of the oil sands OGs who took my advice and got into my trade years ago are flat out right now, a couple of the new guys had a slow winter and spring due to Covid but right now they’re all busy, a couple of them are wrapping up a big 8-9 week shut down at Syncrude. I try to tell them to take it easy and take a couple of weeks off but once you start making $5K/week it’s kinda hard to give up.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Boys they’re looking for young guys to get into the industry all over BC, I took this pic atva gas station in Valemount (beauty spot) last week.

As I mentioned before, if you’re willing to move to BC, the “most beautiful place in the world” and you want to get a $100K job then make the move, I did and as of last week Ive already made $120K, I’ll probably end up making $150K this year, I made $180 last year, in 9 months.

Boys they’re looking for young guys to get into the industry all over BC, I took this pic atva gas station in Valemount (beauty spot) last week.

As I mentioned before, if you’re willing to move to BC, the “most beautiful place in the world” and you want to get a $100K job then make the move, I did and as of last week Ive already made $120K, I’ll probably end up making $150K this year, I made $180 last year, in 9 months.

Do you have to be Canadian? I'm a Kiwi citizen.

hedonist

Woodpecker
I was in a work camp when the whole covid thing popped off, they literally changed a bunch of rules while I was there which included us all moving into one camp to make the other camp a “quarantine camp”, my two week hitch turned into a 24 day hitch because they didn’t want to bring new people in. Then I sat on my ass for a month then went to another camp for 5 weeks and the only big difference was that we had to wear masks at the morning safety meetings and couldn’t sit more than two people to a table at the lunch hall. On site no one gave a shit and they still don’t. Those were at two of the smaller SAGD sites along the 881highway, it’s different at the bigger sites.

So Suncor Baseplant blew up last week, fuck ya! $$$$https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmonton/2020/8/15/1_5066011.html

All of the oil sands OGs who took my advice and got into my trade years ago are flat out right now, a couple of the new guys had a slow winter and spring due to Covid but right now they’re all busy, a couple of them are wrapping up a big 8-9 week shut down at Syncrude. I try to tell them to take it easy and take a couple of weeks off but once you start making $5K/week it’s kinda hard to give up.

For the place I was at they weren't going to let us come back if we flew out, the work force got cut in half from the people off shift.
We ended up staying at the camp for months taking a couple of days off as per the ruling. So managed to keep busy for a decent amount of time through out the whole thing.

I'm not particularly worried about the virus but I'm speculating regular cold and flu is gonna make it pretty tricky once it gets colder knowing how camp jobs go.

I know the feeling....I had 2-3 years of making $5.5K on a split shift ...a lot of fancy dinners lol.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
For the place I was at they weren't going to let us come back if we flew out, the work force got cut in half from the people off shift.
We ended up staying at the camp for months taking a couple of days off as per the ruling. So managed to keep busy for a decent amount of time through out the whole thing.

I'm not particularly worried about the virus but I'm speculating regular cold and flu is gonna make it pretty tricky once it gets colder knowing how camp jobs go.

I know the feeling....I had 2-3 years of making $5.5K on a split shift ...a lot of fancy dinners lol.

I spent months on end in camps from around 2009-2014, some shitty but most were nice. After the oil crash they went downhill so now your room doesntget cleaned every day and the food isn’t always the greatest. Still it’s a good way to save cash but for me after 3-4 weeks of it I get irritated, fortunately I’m working out of a city these days so can have a bit of a life.

NFallin

Robin
How are you guys still making this big money? Damn I picked the wrong trade.

It's been dead in industrial for us for a couple years now. And screw working in town running your bag off for 50k a year. Lots of people out of work right now. Glad to see you figured out the way scotian!