Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

I’ve heard that there is a lot of pipelines in British Columbia and in the grande prairie area being built in northern Alberta,try checking out the local Canadian oil cities Kijji websites,check under the general labour section and get a feel of what’s happening on the jobs front

hedonist

Kingfisher
I’ve heard that there is a lot of pipelines in British Columbia and in the grande prairie area being built in northern Alberta,try checking out the local Canadian oil cities Kijji websites,check under the general labour section and get a feel of what’s happening on the jobs front
Although it’s slowed a little there are always projects going on around GP. Kitimat is another one to keep an eye on.

I think CNRL has a shutdown next month

cosine

Robin
Anyone here work in office jobs in the canadian oil industry? I like Alberta a lot and could see working there in data science. Would have to move from the states so have no idea what that looks like.

tunguska

Chicken
I'm a roofer and I've been thinking of switching trades. Seems like welders are making good money in the oil sands still, and the general advice seems to be to learn to weld, is that accurate?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I'm a roofer and I've been thinking of switching trades. Seems like welders are making good money in the oil sands still, and the general advice seems to be to learn to weld, is that accurate?
Metal trades like welder, pipe fitter, boilermaker are in high demand because metal rusts and breaks and is used in a variety of industries like oil, gas, nuclear, aviation, ship building, green tech, etc. Plus younger guys don’t want to get into trades because it’s tough and dirty and boomers are retiring so I can still recommend it.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Anyone here work in office jobs in the canadian oil industry? I like Alberta a lot and could see working there in data science. Would have to move from the states so have no idea what that looks like.
I’m not sure about data science but work with guys who do cost estimation, planner/scheduler and they’re good jobs but many of the office types who worked cushy jobs in Calgary are hurting these days. Things are better in Edmonton and Fort McMurray but it’s not like it was in boom times. I’d recommend staying in the US unless for some odd reason you’re really set on emigrating to Canada.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
scotian, or anyone else, can you recommend MIG, TIG, or different kind of welding to learn over the others before trying to get into the oil sands?
Just take whatever welding job you can get to learn the basics, or if you have the time and money take a course but basically in the oil sands, SMAW is the most common welding process so learning stick is the best to start with. It should be relatively easy to find a welders helper job someone.

This could be you one day

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Just take whatever welding job you can get to learn the basics, or if you have the time and money take a course but basically in the oil sands, SMAW is the most common welding process so learning stick is the best to start with. It should be relatively easy to find a welders helper job someone.

This could be you one day

Nate is hilarious.

cosine

Robin
I’m not sure about data science but work with guys who do cost estimation, planner/scheduler and they’re good jobs but many of the office types who worked cushy jobs in Calgary are hurting these days. Things are better in Edmonton and Fort McMurray but it’s not like it was in boom times. I’d recommend staying in the US unless for some odd reason you’re really set on emigrating to Canada.
Where there's money these days, there's data science to be done. But, if it's still hurting that bad then you're right, it probably isn't worth my time. It would follow that Canadian tech companies like Shopify are probably still inundated with laid off oil company data professionals.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Where there's money these days, there's data science to be done. But, if it's still hurting that bad then you're right, it probably isn't worth my time. It would follow that Canadian tech companies like Shopify are probably still inundated with laid off oil company data professionals.
I'm really not sure but there's definitely been an exodus of office folks from Calgary to places like Vancouver and Toronto. It's actually really busy right now for tradesmen in Alberta because of guys from back east not flying out for seasonal refinery outages because they have to quarantine in the Atlantic Bubble when they go back, also a ton of guys got covid in the camps. We were supposed to have 150 boilermakers at my site this week but so far only 12 have showed up so I've been getting paid to watch movies all week. Today I have to do an antigen rapid test, if I get covid and have to quarantine for two weeks, I'm not going to be happy, I just finished one last week after coming back from abroad.

Jaeric

Sparrow
I'll be moving out to Alberta in the next year for accounting since I'm on CPA track this year. Have to choose between Calgary and Edmonton.
Edmonton is closer to the oil patch and has more refineries in the area. It also has more work for trades and labour.

However Calgary has milder weather, is closer to the rocky mountains and in my opinion is a much nicer city to live in.

Mike0060

Sparrow
Edmonton is closer to the oil patch and has more refineries in the area. It also has more work for trades and labour.

However Calgary has milder weather, is closer to the rocky mountains and in my opinion is a much nicer city to live in.
I'll have to see where we go now. BC is about to make BC Covid Pass Mandatory so we're seeing what that entails and if we should seek out another country instead. I'll be trying to find a remote job ASAP as well, this world has gone crazy.