Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I was reluctant to advise guys to move to Alberta and work in the oil sands since 2015 although I did help a few guys get work, it was very quiet over the past few years but as Rdvirus mentioned above, the patch is back boys!

ScannerLIV

Woodpecker
I was reluctant to advise guys to move to Alberta and work in the oil sands since 2015 although I did help a few guys get work, it was very quiet over the past few years but as Rdvirus mentioned above, the patch is back boys!
I cant see how, as an American citizen, it would be wise to apply and move there even if the pay is good, in light of vaccine and mask mandates. Could you comment on this?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I cant see how, as an American citizen, it would be wise to apply and move there even if the pay is good, in light of vaccine and mask mandates. Could you comment on this?
It would be a difficult move especially right now but if you have an in demand skill related to oil and gas then it’s not out of the question although it seems like more Canadians are moving state side these days than the other way around.

greyok

Pigeon
Atheist
Any news for the USA oil industry?
I had just read that the active oil well count is pre-COVID levels and approaching an all-time high. Their production is supposed to be just as high, so we will be seeing a sharp drop in gas prices pretty soon.

I don't know about Canada but I know that there's a lot going on in the Permian right now, at least according to the news.

Used to read this thread religiously back in 2013 when I was out in Alberta fresh into a job at a boilermaker shop in Calgary and wrestling with heading up to the patch. Ended up moving back to my hometown Sarnia after a few months and getting into the fitters union here. Largest concentration of oil and gas plants in Canada outside of alberta is here in chemical valley and working the spring and fall shutdown schedule making 80-90k with 7-8 months off per year is the best thing that ever happened to me. Nothing like working 7-24’s for the government all summer while sipping beers on pogge beach. Could not imagine having to do a regular 9-5 grind all year while getting maybe 2 weeks off vacation. Time is money

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
^Sarnia is a great working man’s town, I worked there for a few months in 2018, mostly at IOL, where I saw my first ever riveted pressure vessel, it’s the oldest refinery in Canada. I couldn’t believe how strong the unions are there, much more so than in Alberta, which is nice. Great to hear that you’re doing well in Sarnia, I could see myself back there at some point.

^Sarnia is a great working man’s town, I worked there for a few months in 2018, mostly at IOL, where I saw my first ever riveted pressure vessel, it’s the oldest refinery in Canada. I couldn’t believe how strong the unions are there, much more so than in Alberta, which is nice. Great to hear that you’re doing well in Sarnia, I could see myself back there at some point.
Yes imperial is a rickety ole joint, a few years ago some original wooden pipe was dug out of the ground from the early 1900’s .Grandpa started working there in the 40s out of highschool after coming back from the war and spent 45 years. The unions heredo have a good amount of sway for the time being, no clac in the area and so far are pushing back against the mandatory coof vax. Hope it keeps up

Snackbit

Chicken
Agnostic
How do you guys think the future in oil and gas work will be? Currently I'm a young medical worker, but I will probably be fired in the coming months due to vaccine mandates. I have no experience in the trades, but I have served a few years in the army. I will not take the vaccine, so a medical career in my homecountry (north-western europe) is probably not possible. Is oil and gas work something I should look into? Are there any courses required for work in this field?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
How do you guys think the future in oil and gas work will be? Currently I'm a young medical worker, but I will probably be fired in the coming months due to vaccine mandates. I have no experience in the trades, but I have served a few years in the army. I will not take the vaccine, so a medical career in my homecountry (north-western europe) is probably not possible. Is oil and gas work something I should look into? Are there any courses required for work in this field?
How about working as a medic in the oil industry, or maybe safety? Yes there’s courses, it depends what you want to do, there’s a lot of different options but I’ve always recommended the skilled trades, we’re all still working.

JohnD777

Pigeon
Orthodox
I'm an unskilled 23 yo male in Canada. Looking at oil sands as an option but am having trouble due to the vax mandates. All polytech colleges now require the vax with no opt-out option. Moreover, to fly to the oil sands you need a vax to board a plane.

Any advice?

hedonist

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I'm an unskilled 23 yo male in Canada. Looking at oil sands as an option but am having trouble due to the vax mandates. All polytech colleges now require the vax with no opt-out option. Moreover, to fly to the oil sands you need a vax to board a plane.

Any advice?

I've known a few people who "stood down" from $200K jobs over the mandates, myself included due to the fly ban (not that much $$ though.

I saw this regarding a Shell site, I know there is lawsuits against CNRL.

The other mentality with some up there is...and I've heard this more than once is "have you done coke before? Then why are you worried about a vaccine?"

Unfortunately a lot with big wallets get trapped in big lifestyles.

hedonist

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Has anyone worked offshore here? Seems like some spots are coming up in South America. Month at sea is a long time to be out there.... I see commissioning work in Sweden for Canadian trade workers too.

BahaTowerDog

Chicken
Agnostic
Hello gents. Long time follower of this thread. Since 2014 actually when I was in Canada studying Engineering. I've been a tower rigger for the last 10 years in The Caribbean. Thinking of coming to Canada soon. How's the situation with vaccine requirements and job security now that covid is here. Also, any ideas on what industries have the most potential for growth/longevity? Not neccessarily wanting to jump into oil and gas, but im fairly skilled. 10 years in telecoms, Associates in Eng.

Thanks all

san26

Pigeon
Orthodox
Status update: It’s booming again boys and all the guys who toughed out the down turn are making money like it’s 2012 again
What would be the requirements to cross the border from USA to Canada at this point ? Do you have first hand experience?