Working on losing 100 pounds (at least). Tips to stay motivated?

tomzestatlu

Kingfisher
There are tons of way how to lose weight, some of them work better and some worse, but... You mentioned you have lost and gain weight several times, so maybe problem is somewhere else. It´s not about changing your diet or sticking to some exercise plan but about changing the attitude towards your whole life. You have got to stand up for your own life.
I suggest you to buy book Can´t hurt me by David Goggins (or his podcasts). His story is amazing and maybe you could relate to some events of his life.

Zagor

Woodpecker

Carnviore: easy to maintain, works really well, no constipation. But you need to build in occasional cheating for sanity. Steaks for most meals are expensive...
Paleo: easy to maintain but makes me constipated. I get lots of digestive issues with the fiber.
Keto: hard to maintain, hard to get the right nutrient balance, constipation...

Carnivore is the ultimate solution for most guys. I eat two ribeye steaks a day and eggs occasionally. If I eat out, I might get raw sushi, hamburgers, bbq or something. I'm not religious about it, but I pretty much have 80% of my calories being beef.
Your carnivore diet doesn't seem much different than my keto. :hmm:

I second others who suggest a Keto diet. It converts your system from using carbohydrates to using fat, and it really does not matter if it is fat you eat or the fat in your body. Once you are in Ketosis, for me at least, you really do not get hungry and after a couple of months you will not miss sugary or carb-laden foods at all. It is common to go all day and then realize you have not had anything to eat. FYI, Keto is not high protein/low carb, rather it is high, fat medium to low protein, and very low carb. Regardless, cut out all vegetable seed oils (soy bean, canola, sunflower, etc.), sugar, and white flour. That means basically all processed foods. Drink water, tea, or coffee. Just do all that and you will lose weight and the chances of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, tooth decay, etc., will all be slashed.

Some people think if they go high-fat, especially animal fats, their cholesterol will go crazy. For me, it was the exact opposite, and the longer I stick with Keto the better all those numbers get. I.e., yearly lab results are improved across the board from borderline bad to enviably good. Blood sugar went from borderline pre-diabetic to nice and low. Lost 30 lbs in the process. And got to eat a of meat. What is not to like? It is hard to find anything at a fast food joint to eat, but that is probably for the best anyway.

And let your body know who is boss. Besides getting diet under control, do regular exercise, especially when your body says no. If you are somewhat overweight, think about biking. It is easy on the joints, and maybe one of the least likely things to cause an injury, while still being a great way to burn energy.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Everyone here big on the keto please be careful, your body needs carbs you're putting a lot of stress on your heart and body that it doesn't naturally want. If losing weight for health reasons outweighs that then by all means, but to be on a keto diet year round with no specific goal is dangerous and not sustainable. Carbs are not bad for you and carbs do not make you gain fat, bad food, overeating and not being active makes you gain fat. Carb restricting should be done to reach a goal and then you should return to a normal healthy diet.

Dr Atkins had a lot of health issues, your body needs carbs to function normally.

Last edited:
Regarding a particular diet, Keto or anything else, being "dangerous" or not, please keep in mind that the dietary orthodoxy from the last ~70 years was one of the biggest acts of mass-murder of the 20th century. The dietary orthodoxy (high carb, low fat) came from the idea that saturated fats caused hear disease. There was no experimental data and the hypothesis was justified by cherry picking survey data of the average diet of different nations along with their respective incidents of heart disease. The researcher latched onto saturated fats, while the correlation of sugar (i.e., simple carbs) to heart disease was, if anything, stronger. Sugar and saturated fats went together in well-to-do societies at the time, but the decision to blame it on fat instead of sugar was arbitrary.

If there is something that scientists, especially government funded scientists never want to do, it is to admit they were ever wrong. They may quietly back pedal decades after being proven wrong and after everyone is ignoring them, but only while spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about what people are figuring out. The journalist Nina Teicholz has done great work in uncovering all this. She started researching the issue and doctors and scientists would tell her that they could not talk to her, or please do not publish what they had to say, etc. Something was rotten. She wrote a book and has a number of talks online.

The result of that bad science was a demonization of meat, a demonization of natural fats, a push to all manner of factory-made unnatural fats (hydrogenated fats, vegetable seed oils, etc.), and the idea that carbs were harmless. The American Heart Assoc. was largely funded by Crisco back when it was full of trans fats, and the AHA used to suggest that people eat sugary snacks to quell hunger. Turns out that carbs are what drives insulin. High insulin levels all day drives diabetes, and diabetes is an epidemic. Obesity, heart disease, kidney failure, and diabetes all go together. The new fats being pushed, and these days soybean oil is in just about every thing, are awful. Thank goodness we finally got rid of trans fats--that had been pushed on us a generation earlier.

Someone suggested that if a person wanted to build a healthy hunger, maybe to get ready for a special meal that night, what would they do? Skimp on meals earlier in the day, and get some exercise that day. That is what makes a person hungry, right? So for weight loss, have them do that, but no big meal that night. I.e., do what makes them want to eat, then chide them for a lack of will power when they do eat. What could possibly go wrong?

How about trying eating foods that are satiating--for example, a pork chop has about the same number of calories as a cup of cooked white rice. A person could easily eat a bowel of white rice in one sitting, consume 600 calories in the process, have a blood sugar spike, then crash, and be hungrier than before. Try over eating pork chops--most people can not do it. Maybe two pork chops and they have no interest in food for a while, and no blood sugar spike either.

Except for a few true-believers, most scientists these days are quietly backpedaling. The exception are radical vegans who demonize meat and animal products on moral grounds, and they are about as unbiased as Philadelphia ballot counters. As for Dr Atkins, he died from head trauma when he slipped on ice. When he was admitted to the hospital he weighed 195 lbs, which may not be that bad for a 72 year old. He did have a preexisting heart problem, but not thought to be from blocked arteries--some people have heart arrhythmias or heart valve problems that have nothing to do with diet.

I retired about 3 years ago. I was at about 278. My son got me a three month gym membership. I started going every other day. For the first 3 months, I just concentrated on working out and lost maybe 10 lbs. I realized I needed to watch my caloric intake, so I started a mostly keto diet. Wasn't religious about it, but ate mostly protein and fat and kept the calories under 2000 a day. In about a year, I had lost 80 more pounds. At 65, I have a decent definition and muscle tone. However, I don't lift for strength because my joints resent it. I'll do about a 2 & 1/2 hour workout now, three days a week, M-W-F. My weight is pretty stationary, at 192 to 193 pounds, although I can drop another 3 to 4 pounds by cutting out my evening carbs. I do start feeling hungry when I get in the 189 range. Most of the advice on this thread will work, although not necessarily for everybody. One thing I'd like to add to curb your appetite. Drink coffee. If you don't have serious hypertension, it can be a real help. I drink 3 to 4 cups a day and only eat twice a day. If you need it sweet, use stevia. Cut out milk or cream in your coffee.

Everyone here big on the keto please be careful, your body needs carbs you're putting a lot of stress on your heart and body that it doesn't naturally want. If losing weight for health reasons outweighs that then by all means, but to be on a keto diet year round with no specific goal is dangerous and not sustainable. Carbs are not bad for you and carbs do not make you gain fat, bad food, overeating and not being active makes you gain fat. Carb restricting should be done to reach a goal and then you should return to a normal healthy diet.

Dr Atkins had a lot of health issues, your body needs carbs to function normally.
There's a lot of conventional misinformation in this post

Please pay specific attention to the posts by Simeon_Strangelight

Last edited:

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
So much misinfo in this post that it made my head spin

Please pay specific attention to the posts by Simeon_Strangelight

Your body needs carbs, your body is made to function on carbs.....half a generation of carbs being ignorantly touted as the devil does not change that. Depriving your body of an essential nutrient forcing it to use less efficient nutrients putting unneeded strain on it for long periods of time is not healthy. I don’t care what bias source of information you throw at me.

Happy you lost weight, happy you like it, happy you convinced yourself otherwise.....doesn’t mean it’s healthy for you. The human body needs carbohydrates to function as it was intended to function.

Carbohydrates do not lead to fat, processed carbs, overeating and not being active leads to fat. You didn’t need an unhealthy fad diet to lose the weight you could have done it without that. If you’re two months out from prom and want to fit into your dress then go for it, to deprive your body of an essential nutrient for long periods of time that it relies on telling yourself that it’s healthy is delusional.

My apologies for being so blunt but it’s simply the truth.

tigerbass

Pigeon
This is my 3rd year of Intermittent Fasting + Time Restricted Eating.

Started at 31 — 230 pounds, 6'2"— my heaviest. Also been vegetarian since I was 18, generally hovered around 200 pounds for most of my 20s.
Today— 34 years old. 179 lb. 13% body fat. Mainly OMAD (one meal a day), occasional luxurious 2 meals a day.
Goal: 163 lb for jiu jitsu (that'll be 5 weight classes I dropped since being 230 lbs—I almost feel bad for my opponents.)

Fasting regiment — circadian rhythm, 13 hour MINIMUM fasting—going back 1.5 years.
I fast 40-80 hours 1-3 times a month. Been doing OMAD starting this summer during Covid — been really nice and saves lots of time.
Record fast is 105 hours.

Overall — extremely easy, wish I knew about this YEARS AGO. So low maintenance. I did this on hard mode as a vegetarian too. If I could OMAD with steak... — I'd just need a nice ribeye and some veggies. Keto would be so much easier. There's not really a vegetarian keto route — it's too fucking laborious.

I measured my bone mass, muscle mass, hydration levels, fat % going back to age 15. I really like data lol. So I know exactly where I should be at any fitness level and what the matching meta data should be like visceral fat, basal metabolic rate, etc.

Let me first assure you, you do not lose muscle while fasting. I measured to crap out of that, have endless spreadsheets to prove it too.

I have notes/tips/medical findings I've collected/logs if you want, can send over.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
This is my 3rd year of Intermittent Fasting + Time Restricted Eating.

Started at 31 — 230 pounds, 6'2"— my heaviest. Also been vegetarian since I was 18, generally hovered around 200 pounds for most of my 20s.
Today— 34 years old. 179 lb. 13% body fat. Mainly OMAD (one meal a day), occasional luxurious 2 meals a day.
Goal: 163 lb for jiu jitsu (that'll be 5 weight classes I dropped since being 230 lbs—I almost feel bad for my opponents.)

Fasting regiment — circadian rhythm, 13 hour MINIMUM fasting—going back 1.5 years.
I fast 40-80 hours 1-3 times a month. Been doing OMAD starting this summer during Covid — been really nice and saves lots of time.
Record fast is 105 hours.

Overall — extremely easy, wish I knew about this YEARS AGO. So low maintenance. I did this on hard mode as a vegetarian too. If I could OMAD with steak... — I'd just need a nice ribeye and some veggies. Keto would be so much easier. There's not really a vegetarian keto route — it's too fucking laborious.

I measured my bone mass, muscle mass, hydration levels, fat % going back to age 15. I really like data lol. So I know exactly where I should be at any fitness level and what the matching meta data should be like visceral fat, basal metabolic rate, etc.

Let me first assure you, you do not lose muscle while fasting. I measured to crap out of that, have endless spreadsheets to prove it too.

I have notes/tips/medical findings I've collected/logs if you want, can send over.

Curious what 6’2 179 looks like, I’m 36 6’1 235 myself....I couldn’t even imagine being 50lbs less that’s like freshmen year of college wrestling weight. Are you cutting strictly for BJJ?

Your body needs carbs, your body is made to function on carbs.....half a generation of carbs being ignorantly touted as the devil does not change that. Depriving your body of an essential nutrient forcing it to use less efficient nutrients putting unneeded strain on it for long periods of time is not healthy. I don’t care what bias source of information you throw at me.
giphy (4).gif

Haha that’s a new one, we can agree to disagree my brother, different strokes for different folks....my apologies I came off so strong.
Every other 'surprised/shocked' GIF could not be uploaded due to its size so it had to be this rather unimpressive/ambivalent lady.
One thing though be careful with that mirror, looking better in the mirror is not an indication of better health. But that’s a whole other long conversation....
Actually it does. As do other indicators of health/ a strong genepool, bloodwork etc.

Every people and culture in history that lived on a meat-based diet showed tremendous advantages in terms of longevity, height, bone density, teeth quality/jaw structure, and other indicators of health (and therefor strength/stamina) over peoples that had reverted to plant-based diets

With the advent of Agrarian Revolution people became much more miserable (and less free as political systems became more oppressive). Archeological findings indicate that the bone density tremendously decreased due to the shift in nutrition. Teeth became rotten due to the shift towards carbs. Jawlines got weak due to the more mushy substances eaten. Height took a tremendous dive. Remains of faeces indicate that most people were suffering from worms and parasites. Child burials became more common (although there is debate over this last one)

This meme does a really good job at explaining things from a historical point of view. Quick reminder that the 'healthy' normal diet, advocated by you above, is 85-90 percent plant-based

Elb6rInWMAI-D3V.jpeg

I strongly suggest you read the threads I posted above, it has a very high level of discussion and there are proponents of both sides of the argument speaking

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Every other 'surprised/shocked' GIF could not be uploaded due to its size so it had to be this rather unimpressive/ambivalent lady.

Actually it does. As do other indicators of health/ a strong genepool, bloodwork etc.

Every people and culture in history that lived on a meat-based diet showed tremendous advantages in terms of longevity, height, bone density, teeth quality/jaw structure, and other indicators of health (and therefor strength/stamina) over peoples that had reverted to plant-based diets

With the advent of Agrarian Revolution people became much more miserable (and less free as political systems became more oppressive). Archeological findings indicate that the bone density tremendously decreased due to the shift in nutrition. Teeth became rotten due to the shift towards carbs. Jawlines got weak due to the more mushy substances eaten. Height took a tremendous dive. Remains of faeces indicate that most people were suffering from worms and parasites. Child burials became more common (although there is debate over this last one)

This GIF does a real good job at explaining things. Quick reminder that the 'healthy' normal diet, advocated by you above, is 85-90 percent plant-based

View attachment 27327

I strongly suggest you read the threads I posted above, it has a very high level of discussion and there are proponents of both sides of the argument speaking

We’re going off on a tangent here but I wasn’t necessarily speaking to any of that in regards to the mirror. What I was more leaning towards was the idea that an athlete or simply being muscular/thin is healthy.....it’s not.

Living clean, eating a good diet and living an active lifestyle is very healthy. Putting thousands of unnatural pounds on your body day after day, restricting nutrients and straining it with physical activity over and over is not healthy for it. We do it to look better or athletes do it for performance, it doesn’t make them or us healthier. A disproportionate amount of pro athletes die young and have health complications, Olympic sprinters don’t live any longer than professional golfers.

I lift weights 4 days a week because it makes me look better and feel good/strong, not because it’s supposed to make me healthier because in reality it’s not healthy.

But we’re having two different conversations here, just wanted to explain what I was saying.

Last edited:

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
I just wanted to pipe in my latest diet tips. I'm still following Frank Tufano's guidance, loosely. Lately he's recommended adding organic potatoes to the carnivore diet because they are fairly nutrient dense and they cause less digestive issues than white rice. Potatoes have vitamin C, which helps digestion of carbs. Another thing that helps carbs digest is probiotics, so he recommends (high quality) yogurt if you're eating an appreciable amount of carbs.

Frank's lifting advice is that "lift heavy" is nonsense bro-science. I don't have enough personal experience to say whether or not that's true but Frank has been bodybuilding since he was a teenager (and he's ~30 now).

I find that if I overindulge in white rice my guts definitely get changed for the worse, and this can throw me off, leading to other indulgences. Potatoes are easier to prepare in smaller amounts compared to white rice. Clean up is easier, too. I was pleasantly surprised at the affordability of organic potatoes. If this carb can shove a little bit of pricey beef out of my diet then I'll save money and hassle over time.

I'm still not eating veggies except for seaweed for maybe some iodine and copper - and variety.

Another carnivore diet tip is raw honey - just a little bit - to take the edge off hunger, to stop you from reaching for a beer (the worst alcohol choice) or something.

Good luck, stugatz.

stugatz

Pelican
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I've backslid ever so slightly (it's Thanksgiving) but for the most part not pigged out during this week. (I am also an extremely capable cook, and as I had some relatives to impress, I busted my ass for two days straight making desserts and side dishes for the big day.) The fact that I have not gained any Thanksgiving weight this year - when I always did even when thin - is a nice step.

One more thing I need to add. I am living in a state that has shut down due to the recent COVID-19 case spike, which means all gyms are closed. (Silver lining - all sit-down restaurants are closed, too, and I usually loathe takeout, so there are less temptations around as far as that goes.)

What should I do for exercise other than walking a mile or two a day? I usually burned most of my pounds off by swimming, and I'm not too versed in body weight exercise.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I've backslid ever so slightly (it's Thanksgiving) but for the most part not pigged out during this week. (I am also an extremely capable cook, and as I had some relatives to impress, I busted my ass for two days straight making desserts and side dishes for the big day.) The fact that I have not gained any Thanksgiving weight this year - when I always did even when thin - is a nice step.

One more thing I need to add. I am living in a state that has shut down due to the recent COVID-19 case spike, which means all gyms are closed. (Silver lining - all sit-down restaurants are closed, too, and I usually loathe takeout, so there are less temptations around as far as that goes.)

What should I do for exercise other than walking a mile or two a day? I usually burned most of my pounds off by swimming, and I'm not too versed in body weight exercise.

Bro it was a holiday, don't be down on yourself for that! Life is for living! I ate like a donkey bear water buffalo on Thanksgiving and I have no regrets!

Do sprints for your legs, do under and over hand pullups for your back/bi's and do dips/pushups for your chest/tris/shoulders if you're relegated to only bodyweight stuff. There are other things but those are the main ones and will hit everything without making it too complicated, throw some abs in for good measure....

Last edited:

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
I need to start this thread with a little bit of weight history, as I've yo-yo'd a decent bit since late high school - this began due to the fact that I was an army brat and we moved so much, it began to get to me. Each new state we moved to I saw as a "clean slate" and I'd go crazy trying to become a cool, suave fit guy.

In 2003, I was sick of being a dumpy high schooler who got bullied (about 185-190, 5 foot 8) and one summer during a move obsessively lost weight through starving myself and exercising compulsively. I lost at least 30 pounds in the 3 month period this way, bottoming out at 155 or so. It was unhealthy, but it worked.

I'll list the rest of the times my weight went down and up, as I recently took down my history of it and was quite alarmed myself, as I'd actually forgotten how often it had happened.

2004 - I flamed out in high school cross country and got lazy, getting back up to about 170 by the time I moved again in my senior year of high school.

2005-2006 - I had a particularly bad breakup toward the end of senior year that cost me my entire social circle. I lost all hope and completely let myself go, gaining over 100 pounds in the space of a year. (I think I topped out at 290.)

2008-2010 - After working a couple of retail jobs after high school, I start at community college, bringing my lunch daily and using the college gym. I start losing weight again, and it escalates when I move a state over for university, resulting in me being around 190 by 2010, back to my "dumpy" high school weight.

2011-2015 - Put on a significant amount of weight when finding a job I was miserable at during college, but I was too afraid to leave it. I got depressed and shot back up to 260 by 2015, little by little. I more or less hovered around that weight for the next four years.

2019 - I had a particularly bad breakup (again) which motivated me to lose weight again. I lost 20 pounds in the summer of 2019, getting into the high 230s, but I soon found a job working as a bartender at a restaurant, and got too busy to keep hitting the gym. My diet slipped, and by the end of the year I was up to 250.

2020 - COVID-19 and lockdown resulted in the whole restaurant getting fired, and me collecting a PPP paycheck - then unemployment when the PPP ran out. I got bored and gained weight again, and shot up to 275 by July.

Due to family financial problems, I have just moved in with my uncle, and am newly motivated (yet again) to get healthy, but go all the way and get back down to at LEAST 200 in the not-too distant future. I am also now in my early thirties, and know very well that if I don't turn this ship around permanently before I hit 40, I will have done permanent damage to my body (if I haven't done it already). I am already back down to 268.

Ultimately, it boils down to this - I initially lost my weight in high school because I was a disaster with women, and wanted to be better. I was still a disaster when I lost the weight, leaving me just one bad breakup away from giving up and letting myself go. The weight loss almost felt like it didn't matter, and my confidence suffered immensely as a result.

As I am in a new city at the moment, I yet again have a clean slate - however, I know right off the bat that motivating myself with what it will do for my dating life isn't the right way to go about it - that's only worked in a tenuous fashion. I just don't know how else to motivate myself to get healthy and stay there, as "you'll get diabetes and heart disease" seems like it's too far off in the future to matter.

I don't like being a big dude, and yes, I feel like nobody takes me seriously most of the time, but I think I'm just so used to it at this point it doesn't sting anymore. However, becoming a fit stugatz was always something on my bucket list that I've wanted to achieve - especially in these troubled times.

It's strange facing a goal like this when you've just about done it before, and the result wasn't what you thought it would be. I don't know how to put this feeling into words.
Good for you! Here's a good quote that keeps me motivated when I've put on a few pounds and need to shed it:

"Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."

tigerbass

Pigeon
Curious what 6’2 179 looks like, I’m 36 6’1 235 myself....I couldn’t even imagine being 50lbs less that’s like freshmen year of college wrestling weight. Are you cutting strictly for BJJ?

Here's a pic from no gi takedown day earlier in November. I'm on the left.

Not really just BJJ, it's really nice to have the IBJFF weight class list to look at, but it's gonna be a while before California allows BJJ tournaments again. It's basically the last tier of things to open up next to concerts. So... fuck.

But yea, I don't mind, it gives me a good goal and this stuff takes time anyway.

I haven't been under 170 pounds since I was 18-19. It's just really enjoyable to be back in that range and see what else I can still do as a 34 year old. I never got to break the 6:00 mile and it's been a decade plus since I dunked a basketball.

I just want to see what I look like at the target weight. I've never had a 6 pack before. 4 pack at best.

So yea, this will be fun.