Working on losing 100 pounds (at least). Tips to stay motivated?

unit414

Pigeon
Stu, one of the things I like about you is how candid you are about your issues and life. You are not afraid to admit you are overweight and trying to lose, not afraid to admit you were bullied in high school and college, and other things. Your honesty and self-awareness are awesome.

As far as the weight issue, sounds like your diet is pretty good, your walking is a good thing, and you have lost at least 10 pounds, apparently. Good job. Given your height and weight, I think you may just be genetically programmed to be a heavier guy, and will never be lean (like 5-8 and 160 lbs). If you have the time and money, a gym membership is great. So much equipment to choose from, and you can meet some nice peeps. At a gym you can have a simple but effective workout just by using the elliptical for your cardio and to burn a few calories, then pump some iron. I am fine just with chest presses, upright rowing, and pulldowns. All are machines with adjustable weight settings. Start slow, gradually ramp up (time on elliptical, and weights). Bet you'll end up looking and feeling good. And keep carbs to a minimum in diet.

stugatz

Pelican
Stu, one of the things I like about you is how candid you are about your issues and life. You are not afraid to admit you are overweight and trying to lose, not afraid to admit you were bullied in high school and college, and other things. Your honesty and self-awareness are awesome.

As far as the weight issue, sounds like your diet is pretty good, your walking is a good thing, and you have lost at least 10 pounds, apparently. Good job. Given your height and weight, I think you may just be genetically programmed to be a heavier guy, and will never be lean (like 5-8 and 160 lbs). If you have the time and money, a gym membership is great. So much equipment to choose from, and you can meet some nice peeps. At a gym you can have a simple but effective workout just by using the elliptical for your cardio and to burn a few calories, then pump some iron. I am fine just with chest presses, upright rowing, and pulldowns. All are machines with adjustable weight settings. Start slow, gradually ramp up (time on elliptical, and weights). Bet you'll end up looking and feeling good. And keep carbs to a minimum in diet.
I had issues when trying to drop below 170 in high school. I have had personal trainers tell me that I am naturally muscular, which can effect being light obviously. I’m just naturally a heftier person (although let’s be frank there’s only so far you can take that excuse).

I am going to be frank here - my early 30s has so far been me trying to clean up the mistakes I made in my 20s. When coronavirus hit, I actually looked at the slowdown as an improvement to my life, as I was overworked and miserable (my job really thought they owned me) and any change-up was an improvement. That’s a horrible thing for me to admit.

I just want to achieve a goal that I’ve put off for years and go from there. Health improvement can only improve my life, and hopefully confidence & career prospects with it.